New Studio Version of 2112?

Thunder Bay Rush

Since there is so much press on the 40th B Day of 2112, wouldn't it be cool if the boys went back in and recorded the whole side one again with modern studio gear and effects? The same lyrics, but somewhat different mixing, effects, Neil's new drum sound... Geddy could sing in it a lower register so his testicles don't explode in his pants.

Imagine this with Broon on the board... I'd buy it.

No, it wouldn't be cool.

Moving on to new material is better than redoing 2112.

Not redoing 2112 is better than redoing 2112.

YES.

If they're going to be together again in the studio, I'd much rather it be new material. I'm sure they would rather that, too.

• Like 2

I'd rather listen to one of the modern albums re-recorded with 70's analogue studio gear and effects, than vice versa...but that's just me :P
  • Like 12

If I walk across a busy road 5 times blindfolded without getting run over it doesn't alter the fact that it was a very stupid idea.

The OP is that stupid.

I would rather Rush try something new.

Like release an album so bad even Zumbi hates it.

• Like 2

No, it wouldn't be cool.

Moving on to new material is better than redoing 2112.

Not redoing 2112 is better than redoing 2112.

YES.

If they're going to be together again in the studio, I'd much rather it be new material. I'm sure they would rather that, too.

These guys get where my head is at on this topic.

• Like 3

i don´t even want that, and when I don´t want it, it says a lot....

Lmao!

That is sig worthy zumbi

• Like 1

When Rush went in to record 2112, they were under all kinds of pressure to put the commercial failure of Caress Of Steel behind them, generate some accessible songs and sell records ..

What they did, at the risk of going down in a blaze of glory, was to fly the middle finger in the face of the stifling forces that were no longer supportive ..

Geddy and Alex still have that fire, and if only they could find that oppressive downer to fly the middle finger too, just for that added boost of **** you

• Like 3

Thunder Bay Rush - despite what other members have said so far, I bet a lot of people would buy it. I agree that it's highly doubtful something like that would ever happen. Would it be "cool" if it happened? I don't know - it might be cool if it were an expanded concept. Also, I think if it brought Neil back into a space for being creative again, that would be great. But he out of all of them would probably most reject the notion of redoing an album.

A while back I think I suggested that I'd be all over remixes or re-recordings of some of the cheesier synth stuff from the 80s - things that dropped the synths and heavied up the overall sound. I think I caught hell for that suggestion, as well.

Edited by toymaker

That would be as welcoming as New Coke.

Tuned down, Geddy singing lower. Sounding old and tired. Just sad, disappointing and depressing.

Edited by 2112FirstStreet
  • Like 1

That would be as welcoming as New Coke.

Tuned down, Geddy singing lower. Sounding old and tired. Just sad, disappointing and depressing.

No reason they couldn't use the original vocal track, I suppose.

Still, there doesn't really seem to be a point to it. The original guitars, bass, and drums all sound great.

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 1

When Rush went in to record 2112, they were under all kinds of pressure to put the commercial failure of Caress Of Steel behind them, generate some accessible songs and sell records ..

What they did, at the risk of going down in a blaze of glory, was to fly the middle finger in the face of the stifling forces that were no longer supportive ..

Geddy and Alex still have that fire, and if only they could find that oppressive downer to fly the middle finger too, just for that added boost of **** you

Nail on the head.

At the time of conception & recording, 2112 was Rush's last hurrah. They thought they were being shitcanned & so put their all into what they believed was to be their last album.

A "re-imagining" would only serve to dilute & cheapen a great rock album.

• Like 4

Any and all sentiment aside, I'd obviously buy anything the boys put out; cheap rehash or not. Can I say this is something I would ever explicitly ask for? No. Is it something I would buy anyway and probably enjoy? Yes. The real disappointment wouldn't be in the quality of the new version, but in where that time could have been spent more creatively in giving us a new studio album.
  • Like 1

Hey, if anyone sees my ass somewhere, please let me know... I just got it kicked so hard that it went flying of the top part where my legs meet my lower back!!!!!!!

Okay, dumb idea... I'd still LOVE to see it though!!!

What about Fountain??? KIDDING!

• Like 1