Rush DVD-A 5.1 mixes

toymaker

When I got my modest little 5.1 receiver I snagged all the Rush 5.1 mixes I could (because I am a true fan). I like most of them.

- Fly by Night - I like this one, particularly By-Tor

- 2112 - not impressed

- Farewell to Kings - mostly cool, but disappointed by a couple of things in Cygnus

- Moving Pictures - generally pretty cool - Camera Eye is amazing

- Signals - fantastic, especially The Weapon and Losing It

- Snakes & Arrows - not impressed, but maybe I just haven't given it enough attention.

I'd like to hear more 5.1 mixes. Of the remaining studio albums:

- Rush - not much point?

- Caress of Steel - absolutely this should be mixed for 5.1

- Hemispheres - I'd be all over this as well, although I'm wondering if it would be disappointing like 2112? The Trees and La Villa would sound great, as would the quieter bit in Hemispheres

- Permanent Waves - I'd buy this in a heartbeat

- Grace Under Pressure - I think this could be done well

- Power Windows - although this is not one of my favorites, I think a 5.1 mix would be really cool

- Hold Your Fire - not sure a 5.1 mix would make me want to listen to it any more than I already do . . .

- Presto - I also don't care enough about this album

- Roll the Bones - again, too poppy for me to bother

- Counterparts - I think the big drum sound would really sound cool in surround

- Test for Echo - sort of like Power Windows - I could get into it

- Vapor Trails - Although I really love a couple of tunes from this album, I'm not sure I'd bother

- Clockwork Angels - I would be interested to hear a 5.1 mix of this - maybe the separation of the instruments would help with the noisiness that some people (not me, necessarily) complain about?

I'd be willing to drop some cash on a DVD-A package containing Caress of Steel, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Power Windows, and Clockwork Angels.

Any thoughts?

Edited by toymaker

I have the 5.1 mixes that I got when I bought the sector boxes. But I must admit, I haven't even listened to them, and probably never will.... I don´t really see the point in it.

I have the 5.1 mixes that I got when I bought the sector boxes. But I must admit, I haven't even listened to them, and probably never will.... I don´t really see the point in it.

I think it's just a really cool, different listening experience. It highlights things in an interesting way, and sometimes you get a slightly different mix.

I had a friend over just the other day who said he was hearing things he hadn't heard before.

• Like 1

I think it's just a really cool, different listening experience. It highlights things in an interesting way, and sometimes you get a slightly different mix.

I had a friend over just the other day who said he was hearing things he hadn't heard before.

But don´t you need a special audio system that can manage the 5.1 mixes?

But don´t you need a special audio system that can manage the 5.1 mixes?

Yep. Its not like it costs a lot though. One can get a 5.1 receiver and speakers for a couple hundred. Stop buying Rush bootlegs and you may be able to afford one.

• Like 2

When I bought mine it wasn't something I couldn't really justify at the time (still managed to get food on the table), but I don't regret it at all now - it reinvigorated me for music listening at a time when I was in a bit of a slump. Movies are way better, too.

I need to buy a sound system for my living room and may get a 5.1 if the budget allows. Right now I can't hear all the glory.
  • Like 1

I need to buy a sound system for my living room and may get a 5.1 if the budget allows. Right now I can't hear all the glory.

Camera Eye - that's worth 100 bucks right there. Weapon another hundred. Xanadu - pretty much priceless.

• Like 1

Camera Eye - that's worth 100 bucks right there. Weapon another hundred. Xanadu - pretty much priceless.

Good to know! I've got a pair of decent speakers and I was thinking of buying a soundbar, so that should do it. Well, and a subwoofer. Gotta have good bass!

• Like 1

Another cool thing I've noticed in 5.1 - drums in Witch Hunt. Can't explain what's going on there.

Good to know! I've got a pair of decent speakers and I was thinking of buying a soundbar, so that should do it. Well, and a subwoofer. Gotta have good bass!

I may not be 100% correct about this, but I would not spend money on a soundbar if you intend to set up a 5.1 system. Soundbars (I don't own one, this is my understanding) are intended to substitute for 5.1 and replace the substandard speakers in any TV. They simulate surround, whereas a true 5.1 system consists (basically) of a receiver that can decode 5.1 from the source and send the specific output to the dedicated speakers. Those speakers are: L, R (also receives Stereo sources), Center (for vocals/voice), Rear L, Rear R (for surround), and a subwoofer (the .1 in 5.1). I have heard soundbars, and they are nice, but a properly set up 5.1 system beats it and is what 5.1 encoded sources are intended for.

What I don't know is whether a soundbar could serve as the center channel speaker and double as your "regular" sound when you are not using the 5.1 receiver. Like if someone already owned a soundbar, maybe they could justify not buying a center speaker? Finally, 5.1 is 5.1, but that is like saying a car is a car. A corolla will get you from A to B just like a Porsche 911, but your budget determines how much fun the trip is. Hope this helps!

I may not be 100% correct about this, but I would not spend money on a soundbar if you intend to set up a 5.1 system. Soundbars (I don't own one, this is my understanding) are intended to substitute for 5.1 and replace the substandard speakers in any TV. They simulate surround, whereas a true 5.1 system consists (basically) of a receiver that can decode 5.1 from the source and send the specific output to the dedicated speakers. Those speakers are: L, R (also receives Stereo sources), Center (for vocals/voice), Rear L, Rear R (for surround), and a subwoofer (the .1 in 5.1). I have heard soundbars, and they are nice, but a properly set up 5.1 system beats it and is what 5.1 encoded sources are intended for.

What I don't know is whether a soundbar could serve as the center channel speaker and double as your "regular" sound when you are not using the 5.1 receiver. Like if someone already owned a soundbar, maybe they could justify not buying a center speaker? Finally, 5.1 is 5.1, but that is like saying a car is a car. A corolla will get you from A to B just like a Porsche 911, but your budget determines how much fun the trip is. Hope this helps!

Okay, thanks for the info. I was operating under the assumption that a soundbar would work as the center and one pair of L-R speakers, but I will make sure to check with a (knowledgable) salesperson before buying.

Soundbars are intended, as explained, to simulate surround. Last I checked there's decent 5.1 speaker setups at Best Buy for ~$300. There's currently no apples to apples substitute to having the physical speakers.

You need to make sure the speakers are as far behind and you as central as you can get in the room. My living room is small so the rear speakers are basically left/right on opposite walls as far back as I can get them, pointed toward the couch. But best surround has the rears behind you pointed toward the center and the listener close to center.

I'm not a big fan of the Rush 5.1 catalog. I like the visual storyboard with the 2112 BR, and the mixing on the Moving Pictures BR is solid. But it hasn't made me want to go back to listen to any of the albums more than I normally would.

I'm not a big fan of the Rush 5.1 catalog. I like the visual storyboard with the 2112 BR, and the mixing on the Moving Pictures BR is solid. But it hasn't made me want to go back to listen to any of the albums more than I normally would.

I pretty much agree on this. I find the Rush 5.1 mixes to be mostly ok , but there are so much better 5.1 mixes from other bands available. I`m especially a fan of the 5.1 work Steven Wilson does , both With his own stuff and other bands mixes like Jethro Tull, Yes and King Crimson. Amazing stuff. I would love to hear his take on some Rush 5.1 mixes.

• Like 1

I`m especially a fan of the 5.1 work Steven Wilson does , both With his own stuff and other bands mixes like Jethro Tull, Yes and King Crimson. Amazing stuff. I would love to hear his take on some Rush 5.1 mixes.

Although I was an early adopter of DVD-A when it was released in the early 2000s, SW's work with past prog material has reinvigorated the format for me. I kinda regret selling a bunch of my original DVD-A discs, but I did make a pretty penny on the sales at the time (~$50+ for some of them I only paid maybe $25) and it appears those same albums are being released yet again on the newer BR and 'better' DTS formats anyway [Fragile and Brain Salad Surgery being the two original DVD-A I was sad to let go, but happy again when SW released his mixes].

Edited by stoopid

For those who enjoy 5.1 mixes and Genesis, Nick Davies has done pretty good mixes of the best Genesis albums.
  • Like 1

Recently got on a rush kick again , thank you trailer park boys, would really love g/p surround the most but wouldn't mind power windows, hemispheres or permanent waves. I'm actually surprised that they did signals, but it's definitely an interesting mix , also curious about hold your fire as I really dig what they did with the CD remaster (same goes for the signals remix there too) Edited by Body Electric
  • Like 1

The best 5.1 mixes of Rush albums have been made by Steven Wilson with AFTK. I don't have that one, but many Steven Wilson mixes are solid. I just can't afford to buy the whole box--set of AFTK for just a blu-ray.