Favorite Van Halen singer

Who's yours?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite VH singer?

• David Lee Roth
    • Sammy Hagar
    • Gary Cherone (nobody will pick this one)

Sammy all the way! I like DLR era a lot but Sammy and Eddie were a GREAT songwriting team. To bad Ray Daniels had to mess that up. Cherone is a good singer too. I thought he would be good but the songs on VH III did not fit his singing style. I did see the VH III tour a few times because Howard U. added his special touch to the shows. Especially for the song "Fire In The Hole".
  • Like 4

As much as their material went 'poppy' during Sammy, I still voted for Sammy because DLR is such a douche.

DLR is a douche, but he was by far the best front man for VH.
  • Like 1

As much as their material went 'poppy' during Sammy, I still voted for Sammy because DLR is such a douche.

DLR is a douche, but he was by far the best front man for VH.

That was my take on it, too- I have to leave personalities aside. And yes, he was the best, for them.

DLR all the way.

Personality is not part of my decision at all; I just think he was the best fit, and best performer.

My feeling as well. I don't really care for DLR TBH but he was so over the top that it really fit the music they were playing in the debut era. At this time however I think he is just sad.

ETA: I only listen to the first five albums. The others are dead to me. LOL

Edited by catherine
  • Like 1

With all the Van Halen threads on here, this is the only one i could find.

I have a question for those here who know them well.

I'm watching interviews from the 90's of Eddie and Alex.

What were the dynamics going on in this band?

You've all probably seen this video already, but I find it fascinating how when it came to guitars, he was a genius:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Sl59RPs7PiI

I'm amazed he still has his marbles and whits. He sounds better in an interview in 2015 than he did in the 90's.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

You've all probably seen this video already, but I find it fascinating how when it came to guitars, he was a genius:

I'm amazed he still has his marbles and whits. He sounds better in an interview in 2015 than he did in the 90's.

Wait...did Lorraine just post video????

:dweez:

ETA: That interview is inspiring in how it shows how Eddie has rebounded.

Edited by goose
  • Like 5

The late 90's were a VERY complicated time for EVH, and for VH by default. By 1995 ta claimed to be sober, but the studio where Balance was recorded had holes on the wall with bags of coke hidden in them...more pm this (and other issues) later.
  • Like 2

During the time Balance was releases they switched management to Ray Daniels, who according to Sammy, started to make wrong decisions for the band. Hagar was soon fired (or left, depending on who you decide to believe) and the band gave Roth a bunch of chances to return, until they settled for Gary Cherone. One horrible album and a tour were enough for them to realize what a horrible choice that was...then the band went on hiatus until 2004.
  • Like 2

During the time Balance was releases they switched management to Ray Daniels, who according to Sammy, started to make wrong decisions for the band. Hagar was soon fired (or left, depending on who you decide to believe) and the band gave Roth a bunch of chances to return, until they settled for Gary Cherone. One horrible album and a tour were enough for them to realize what a horrible choice that was...then the band went on hiatus until 2004.

Danniels also managed Extreme.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting this Lorraine. I hadn't seen it before and I enjoyed it very much. Enjoying your new 21st century internet I see. ;)

• Like 2

David Lee Roth, Michael Anthony, Alex Van Halen, Eddie Van Halen are Van Halen...much like Ace, Gene, Paul & Peter are KISS.

Some great talent to come and go afterward in both bands, but the original is The original and there is nothing like the original. :)

• Like 4

Thanks for posting this Lorraine. I hadn't seen it before and I enjoyed it very much. Enjoying your new 21st century internet I see. ;)

Very interesting and informative if not a bit revisionist.

How many times did Ed touch the woman leg?

• Like 1

Danniels also managed Extreme.

Yep...and Sanctuary Music also managed Maiden and Wolfsbane when Blaze Bayley got the gig as Bruce´s replacement. Only this can explain how such mismatches took place.

On with the story of what happened with Eddie - after Cherone left, VH didn´t do ANYTHING until the reunion tour with Sammy. Another "best of" was released, with three new songs with Sammy. All three were below average for VH, and it took Eddie months to finalize them.During the tour, the setlist was great, but Eddie´s performance was ruined by his increased addiction. On the last date of the tour, he simply smashed his guitar and ran from the stage. Sammy almost quit the tour a bunch of times, and they never spoke again after the last show.

In 2007 things started to look a bit better: Dave returned to the band, and Wolfie joined as Michael Anthony´s replacement. I think Eddie would regain a better shape only in 2009, and he´s been reportedly sober for many years now.

• Like 4

Wait...did Lorraine just post video????

:dweez:

ETA: That interview is inspiring in how it shows how Eddie has rebounded.

Got Comcast last week, Goose! Always makes me nervous when things so semi-well here. :ph34r:

Very interesting and informative if not a bit revisionist.

How many times did Ed touch the woman leg?

There's nothing unusual about that. Maybe it depends on where you're from. Back where I am originally from, we were always touching someone when we were talking to them. I've noticed no one does that out here. I've tried to stop doing it myself, but ingrained habits die hard. :)

David Lee Roth, Michael Anthony, Alex Van Halen, Eddie Van Halen are Van Halen...much like Ace, Gene, Paul & Peter are KISS.

Some great talent to come and go afterward in both bands, but the original is The original and there is nothing like the original. :)

I agree, ReGor. As much as I liked them with Sammy, they weren't as good with him as they were with DLR. He may have been a flamboyant pain, but he was a good front man.

• Like 3

I voted for Cherone. Because nobody will.

He is good enough to earn a vote. Glad it is was yours and not mine.

I probably enjoy the DLR era songs more but the volume of good songs from Van Hagar dwarfs earlier VH. Plus Sammy can actually sing live and brings more to the band as a musician.

• Like 1