Favorite Van Halen singer

Who's yours?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite VH singer?

• David Lee Roth
    • Sammy Hagar
    • Gary Cherone (nobody will pick this one)

Who's your preferred Van Halen singer? I love the DLR era, but I'll have to go with Sammy on this one. He wrote some great songs with them, and that last album with Roth wasn't very good.

I liked them both but for different reasons. Sammy was the better fit as far as songwriting goes, but with DLR they had a rawness that they lost later on.
  • Like 3

Sammy Hagar may be the better singer and the stronger singer. Also, his ability and range is fantastic for a man of his age (he's friggin' pushing 70!), but David Lee Roth sang on, at least to my ears, the best Van Halen albums. There's not a missed note on those six albums. Mr. Roth gets my vote.
  • Like 4

Sammy, because live, DLR was a babbling drunk for his last 3 tours in the 80's...his act grew old..

Sammy was a fresh breath of air. And the LP's they made with Sammy were better overall.

The Dave LP's were good, but 9 cover songs on 5 albums? Avg 35 minute LP's, ??

• Like 4

I like the Dave Attitude.

Sammy brought, I felt, more dynamic singing, songwriting, and the second guitar was cool when Eddie allowed it.

• Like 1

The Dave LP's were good, but 9 cover songs on 5 albums?

There were a lot of covers, but you've gotta admit, they're pretty good.
  • Like 2

Sammy, because live, DLR was a babbling drunk for his last 3 tours in the 80's...his act grew old..

Sammy was a fresh breath of air. And the LP's they made with Sammy were better overall.

The Dave LP's were good, but 9 cover songs on 5 albums? Avg 35 minute LP's, ??

So what? That's a criteria for an album not to be great? The Hagar albums have a lot of half-ass songs on them. The Roth albums rarely have a wasted minute on them. Streamlined compared to bloated.

Cherone is my fav vocally but with Extreme, not VH. DLR can't sing for shit but the old VH material is the best.

Sammy is good too.

• Like 2

As much as the "Van Halen Sound" was Eddie's guitar, so was the pairing of Dave and Michael Anthony with their voices ..

There is something magic about DOA, Light Up The Sky, Little Dreamer, On Fire, etc

The vibe on the first two albums is untouchable .. Women And Children First and Fair Warning are classic too, but those first two albums IMHO contain some chemistry that happens once in a lifetime - if that

This was the singer

http://images.wolfgangsvault.com/david-lee-roth/fine-art-print/memorabilia/JSP0133-13-FP.jpg

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 4