What instruments do you dislike?

toymaker

Personally, I am generally not a fan of saxophones, harmonicas, or steel guitars. However, there are songs in which I don't mind them. I think Supertramp harmonica and sax stuff is fine.

I'm glad there are no Rush songs with saxophones, harmonicas, or steel guitars. If there were, though, I bet they would be on Presto.

No offense to any saxophonists, harmonickers, or steel guitarists was intended.

• Like 1

Accordions are bad. The Roland Virtual Accordion is the worst.

I think the OP means Pedal Steel guitars which is seemingly particular to country. Steve Howe uses a Fender Steel guitar on lots of Yes stuff, and a slide on a guitar is not far from that. The pedal is what does the "bendy" countryesque sound. It's got nothing on the accordion.

The Beatles used all kinds of Harmonicas, Mouth Organs and Saxophones. Horns are horns. Must not like Steely Dan either. Supertramp had a sax player, who also played other instruments. The saxophone is a standard rock and roll instrument.

This thing.....

http://assets.rollingstone.com/assets/2014/article/songs-of-fire-and-vice-jan-hammer-on-the-music-of-miami-vice-20141008/170896/medium_rect/1412718502/720x405-84458898.jpg

• Like 5

This thing.....

http://assets.rollingstone.com/assets/2014/article/songs-of-fire-and-vice-jan-hammer-on-the-music-of-miami-vice-20141008/170896/medium_rect/1412718502/720x405-84458898.jpg

it's a keytar!

god i'm glad those got put out of their misery in the 80s.

• Like 1

Those steinberger monstrosities from the 80s come to mind. I hate the look and the tone those boxes emitted.

Already mentioned is the keytar. Other than that I don't hate anything in its proper place.

• Like 2

Can't say I really dislike any instruments . .

Now, some of the people who play them, that's a different story

http://f.tqn.com/y/paganwiccan/1/W/-/X/-/-/DrummersOutside_1500.jpg

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 3

Certain instruments in certain contexts annoy me like Irish accordion music and Scottish bagpipes (except on the AC/DC song). A violin in the wrong hands is a deadly weapon. Generally though anyone who sucks at music can make any instrument sound bad.
  • Like 1

A violin in the wrong hands is a deadly weapon.

I say this regularly.

Also agreed about Harpsichords and flutes, especially the wooden variety. Bagpipes only work in that one scene in "So I Married An Axe Murderer" for "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?" otherwise they are deadly and disturbing.

Uke's and Banjos get a pass. Pete Townshend and John Lennon learned banjo before guitar. There is a bunch of banjo on Who records.

• Like 1

I say this regularly.

Also agreed about Harpsichords and flutes, especially the wooden variety. Bagpipes only work in that one scene in "So I Married An Axe Murderer" for "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?" otherwise they are deadly and disturbing.

Uke's and Banjos get a pass. Pete Townshend and John Lennon learned banjo before guitar. There is a bunch of banjo on Who records.

I don't mind banjo if used less as a "plink-a-plink" country shitkicker type, instead played more with chord progressions. Like an accompaniment to the guitar. That can make a banjo sound really good.

Ukulele's are fine by me. They have their place and usually sound good.

I say this regularly.

The thing about harpsichords is they're a good instrument but they're totally stuck in a middle ages time warp by association. As soon as you hear one you're thinking court jesters and men in powdered wigs and tights and shoes with buckles. If you have harpsichord in your incidental music for a TV show or in a song it immediately creates a quaint medieval atmosphere or a certain type of atmosphere that harks back to ye olde days of yore. Film and TV makers always use it when they want to create this kind of atmosphere for a period film or show, and they've done it so much that's the only atmosphere the instrument can conjure up.

I say this regularly.

The thing about harpsichords is they're a good instrument but they're totally stuck in a middle ages time warp by association. As soon as you hear one you're thinking court jesters and men in powdered wigs and tights and shoes with buckles. If you have harpsichord in your incidental music for a TV show or in a song it immediately creates a quaint medieval atmosphere or a certain type of atmosphere that harks back to ye olde days of yore. Film and TV makers always use it when they want to create this kind of atmosphere for a period film or show, and they've done it so much that's the only atmosphere the instrument can conjure up.

Harpsichords, although dated, are actually pretty cool instruments to play. Since it's plucking strings I consider it a great, great, great.....grandfather to a guitar or other plucked string instruments.

Now that someone mentioned bagpipe that reminded me how awful they are.

I say this regularly.

Harpsichords, although dated, are actually pretty cool instruments to play. Since it's plucking strings I consider it a great, great, great.....grandfather to a guitar or other plucked string instruments.

Now that someone mentioned bagpipe that reminded me how awful they are.

It can be good and it can really work for something like a TV theme tune or something. Here's an example from a late 60's TV show. And with this you get a different kind of atmosphere, more spooky than court jester.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo3lTbYFK6A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJF8KPP-K8o

This may not be a dislike per say, but I think the sound of an acoustic guitar is worse than that of an electric. Any time a song is played "unplugged" I physically feel my heart shattering into a million little pieces. I'm also typically not impressed by the sound of the human voice, especially when it is sub par. It's why I can only listen to Dream Theater in bursts.