Game of Thrones - Season 6

Disembodied Spirit

I also found Dumbledore a completely different personality and character to Gandalf and Voldemort was a far more human villain than Sauron, his weaknesses were more obvious and his back story tragic.

I honestly don't think there are many similarities at all beyond being works of fantasy. Tolkiens books themselves are plot wise not really all that unique even for the time period. He was heavily inspired by ancient epics and "ripped off" countless worn out tropes.

The big difference for Tolkien is his genius world building. Something I loved about Rowling as well, only she was inventive in a far more playful way.

Then we agree to disagree. :)

I also found Dumbledore a completely different personality and character to Gandalf and Voldemort was a far more human villain than Sauron, his weaknesses were more obvious and his back story tragic.

I honestly don't think there are many similarities at all beyond being works of fantasy. Tolkiens books themselves are plot wise not really all that unique even for the time period. He was heavily inspired by ancient epics and "ripped off" countless worn out tropes.

The big difference for Tolkien is his genius world building. Something I loved about Rowling as well, only she was inventive in a far more playful way.

Then we agree to disagree. :)

I will say if you like fantasy and you want to branch fully away from the Tolkien template, try Brandon Sanderson. He mixes a bit of a science fiction feel and his Mistborn trilogy is one of the most fun reads I have had in a long time.

I just feel that fantasy has evolved so much in the last two decades that the genre is now at a point where Tolkien is no longer easily defined as the best in the genre. Countless major epic fantasies have come along with better written characters, outstanding world building, immersive plots and sublime prose.

I actually find it incredibly annoying when so many treat Tolkien like be all and end all in the genre. He relied on plenty of fairly basic plot devices, his writing is beautiful but not exactly up their with Tolstoy or Dickens, and the genre is thriving now more than ever and it truly annoys me that people hold so dear to Tolkien when quite frankly an entire generation is now emerging that can easily find sustenance in fantasy and truly not find themselves missing out if they don't read Tolkien's works.

It's a huge genre. If I say I don't enjoy the "popular" authors as much as some lesser known ones, I know what I am talking about.

And I think her writing is excellent and Rowling is my favourite writer for characters ever. I rank her equal to Dickens.

Really?

Sorry, I have to vehemently disagree with you.

Her characterisations, whilst fun, and eminently suitable for a young readership, don't even approach the magnificence of Dickens.

His grasp of grotesquerie is second to none, and the only author that comes close imo is Mervyn Peake

As for great fantasy writers, Tolkein is king for a reason....I have read many authors who have created their own worlds and mileus etc, but none of them approach the sheer epic magnitude of Tolkeins work.....no other author gives that feeling of sheer scale that he does.

• Like 1

And I think her writing is excellent and Rowling is my favourite writer for characters ever. I rank her equal to Dickens.

Really?

Sorry, I have to vehemently disagree with you.

Her characterisations, whilst fun, and eminently suitable for a young readership, don't even approach the magnificence of Dickens.

His grasp of grotesquerie is second to none, and the only author that comes close imo is Mervyn Peake

As for great fantasy writers, Tolkein is king for a reason....I have read many authors who have created their own worlds and mileus etc, but none of them approach the sheer epic magnitude of Tolkeins work.....no other author gives that feeling of sheer scale that he does.

Again I don't agree. And that's fine because I don't have too.

Tolkien was a genius. He isn't the one and only though.

This went from a Game of Thrones thread to a Harry Potter vs Hobbits thread.

So sad

• Like 1

Well to be fair it doesn't seem like many watch this and we were discussing fantasy whilst awaiting the last episode.

Which, by the way, annoyed me.

They just went back to killing people off instead of seeing storylines through. I really get annoyed by this...Maergery was really becoming a fascinating character and BOOM they just kill her off in time to start afresh next year.

I found season 6 a very mixed bag.

Well to be fair it doesn't seem like many watch this and we were discussing fantasy whilst awaiting the last episode.

Which, by the way, annoyed me.

They just went back to killing people off instead of seeing storylines through. I really get annoyed by this...Maergery was really becoming a fascinating character and BOOM they just kill her off in time to start afresh next year.

I found season 6 a very mixed bag.

I still think a lot of people watch the show. I just wasn't posting because of the whole spoilers thing. Believe it or not some people will come into a thread about a show while the current season is airing even if they aren't caught up yet. Then they complain about reading a show spoiler :wacko: There was a whole issue about that a few years ago in the Breaking Bad and Walking Dead threads.

I liked the season finale for the most part but I do think that Margaery deserved a better fate than to just go poof with all those other random people. But it was part of Cersei's plan to become queen again. So, at least it served a purpose but there was certainly a lot more for the character to offer.

Arya's story was pretty had to get through at times this season but she did need that in order for her character to grow more. She's getting back to what she wanted to do before all that happened now. I really liked the scene she had in the finale.

If it weren't for the dragons and Tyrion, Daenerys would be so much more uninteresting than she already is. Being really hot can only get her so far.

Jon Snow and Sansa are in the role of the characters everyone is supposed to love and want to see win in the end. I'm fine with that as the show does need someone in the true hero role and Snow fits that well I think. After everything Sansa has been through it's not hard to have sympathy for her.

I'm mainly just waiting for the dragons and white walkers to face off with each other and i'll be happy.

I never read the books but I think the season was overall enjoyable even though they weren't following them.

• Like 1

Season 6 was a mixed bag...it feels like they are taking too many easy routes to finish off threads of story.

Margeary's death is the weakest point in the whole series so far. They killed her off like she was an inconsequential side character and yet they spent he entire season building her storyline up to a grand climax that never came.

Truly feel the writers are losing the way and are just trying to keep the shock value up. I am actually eager to read the books now because I keep being told to really immerse myself into them.

Problem is I've read so many big fantasy epics the last two years I am a bit worn out (not a fault of the series...I love Martin's style of writing and I am sure his stories are A-grade).

I also have a thing about starting series that aren't finished...I don't have a great memory so if I have to wait years then I have to reread the books before the new one...and these are long.

I absolutely loved Margeary. I thought she was the nicest character on the whole show and I really feel they tossed her off like she was nothing special. Her final scene deserved something much better.

And also the entire scene was atrociously directed. The explosion and the effects looked incredibly low budget, even by TV standards.

• Like 2

Season 6 was a mixed bag...it feels like they are taking too many easy routes to finish off threads of story.

Margeary's death is the weakest point in the whole series so far. They killed her off like she was an inconsequential side character and yet they spent he entire season building her storyline up to a grand climax that never came.

Truly feel the writers are losing the way and are just trying to keep the shock value up. I am actually eager to read the books now because I keep being told to really immerse myself into them.

Problem is I've read so many big fantasy epics the last two years I am a bit worn out (not a fault of the series...I love Martin's style of writing and I am sure his stories are A-grade).

I also have a thing about starting series that aren't finished...I don't have a great memory so if I have to wait years then I have to reread the books before the new one...and these are long.

Part of the problem is that they're beyond the books now and they're having to wing it. That's the biggest reason this season has seemed so different in feel and not as detailed as the past ones have been.

The books themselves are extremely detailed with multiple characters. There are appendices in the back to help you keep track of family trees and just in general who people are, and maps of the lands where the stories take place.

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 1

Part of the problem is that they're beyond the books now and they're having to wing it. That's the biggest reason this season has seemed so different in feel and not as detailed as the past ones have been.

The books themselves are extremely detailed with multiple characters. There are appendices in the back to help you keep track of family trees and just in general who people are, and maps of the lands where the stories take place.

Yeah I agree.

I'm winding down on Tad Williams now and reading some lighter books but I feel it's time to start the books again.

I just didn't want to read them straight after the series that inspired them because I couldn't stop making connections. But it's been months since I read them so it's time!

• Like 1

We now have the creepy music from the Season 6 finale

Apparently there is demand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFK0yG8xG5I

I just watched all season 6 episodes. It's getting better. :yes:

Never thought Jon Snow would be Lianna's son. He's a Stark!

And Daenerys is tr00!! I can't wait until season 7.

I watched the last 2 episodes again. I believe they were trying to show us Daenerys is just another crazed Targaren

Let's think

Father- Mad King, for many reasons was Fire happy, planned to blow up King's landing

Brother- Kidnapped Lianna Stark

Her other brother from Season 1- Was also a bit of a nutjob...might need to rewatch those episodes to confirm

Daenerys may not be far off

• Like 1

I was a fan of GoT since I started reading the series in 2002. I watched the first couple seasons of the TV show when they came out, but the fact they diverged so much from the books bothered me, and I stopped watching. Then, hearing about how season 6 entered uncharted territory (albeit advised by GRRM) I decided to watch the whole thing, and last night I finished rewatching all six seasons. Now I'm stuck waiting for the next seasons!

I thought season 6 had a different feel that the other seasons. For one, the work "f**k" got used a lot, and I don't recall it being used in the books, or at least it wasn't used as often.

Jon is Lianna's son? But then not Ned's son, correct? Do we know who his father is then?

And yeah, Segue, I agree about the GRRM/Tad Williams connection. I've only read The Dragonbone Chair, which was published years before Game of Thrones, yet I can see so much influence in Martin's stuff based on that. Things like an heir missing a hand, the phrase "half a hundred," dense intertwined plots, and yes, the need for editing, are found in both series.

• Like 2

I was a fan of GoT since I started reading the series in 2002. I watched the first couple seasons of the TV show when they came out, but the fact they diverged so much from the books bothered me, and I stopped watching. Then, hearing about how season 6 entered uncharted territory (albeit advised by GRRM) I decided to watch the whole thing, and last night I finished rewatching all six seasons. Now I'm stuck waiting for the next seasons!

I thought season 6 had a different feel that the other seasons. For one, the work "f**k" got used a lot, and I don't recall it being used in the books, or at least it wasn't used as often.

Jon is Lianna's son? But then not Ned's son, correct? Do we know who his father is then?

And yeah, Segue, I agree about the GRRM/Tad Williams connection. I've only read The Dragonbone Chair, which was published years before Game of Thrones, yet I can see so much influence in Martin's stuff based on that. Things like an heir missing a hand, the phrase "half a hundred," dense intertwined plots, and yes, the need for editing, are found in both series.

From what I have gathered, Martin wrote a series that goes further than Williams.

Maybe I should revisit the books.

The TV show is good but to my mind never AS good as people claim (some fantastic characters and spellbinding action sequences aside).

Once I'm "over" my now two year Williams phase, I will try Martin again. I just need a break from epic fantasy for a while!!

Jon is either the Mad King's or his son's kid.

That would make Jon either Daenerys Jon's sister or niece??

If I have my family math correct

• Like 1

I just need a break from epic fantasy for a while!!

:o

It's funny as I wrote this I had no idea that within minutes I'd be looking up Robin Hobb again wondering strongly if now is the time to start her books haha

The popular theory that has been around for a while is commonly known as "R + L = J", meaning Rhaegar Targaryen + Lyanna Stark = Jon Snow.

Jon is either the Mad King's or his son's kid.

That would make Jon either Daenerys Jon's sister or niece??

If I have my family math correct

If Rhaegar is the father, that would make Daenerys Jon's aunt.
  • Like 2

The popular theory that has been around for a while is commonly known as "R + L = J", meaning Rhaegar Targaryen + Lyanna Stark = Jon Snow.

Ah, okay, thank you.

So now the next big question is will Jon ever find this out? I guess we have to wait and find out. (But I hate waiting!)

• Like 1

Ah, okay, thank you.

So now the next big question is will Jon ever find this out? I guess we have to wait and find out. (But I hate waiting!)

This turn of events once again vaguely reminds me of the conclusion to Tad Williams Memory, Sorrow and Thorn haha

I agree with the Star Wars actor who commented about the lack of diversity in GoT. This show is alienating millions of people.

I agree with the Star Wars actor who commented about the lack of diversity in GoT. This show is alienating millions of people.

Last sunday's season seven premiere got 10 million viewers. A record for HBO. I don't think alienating fans is that big of an issue.

EDIT: I just looked up the ratings again. If you factor in the reply sunday night and streaming services the total is over 16 million people who watched it.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 2