Deceased Artists....

Tick

I'm not trying to be a downer but face facts - we will see a lot more. They are all in the same age bracket, give or take a few years.

Just saying to prepare yourself for the inevitable.

Something about the lifestyle that doesn't generate longevity.

It's sad, but I understand.

All we can do is keep appreciating their Art and what they left for us in the world.

• Like 1

Music and in the larger sense, art, lives on forever, sweetie. That's part of the magic. We always have the past to draw upon and we always have what is being created in the present to extend our vision even further.

:goodone:

The new art is always based in past elements, teachings, learnings, personal style and what really makes any kind of art, Art.

We'll surely miss these ones due our generation. We can listen to their music more and more. And remember the greatest moments. Concerts included. :)

Edited by rhyv
  • Like 2

I fucking hate it when people say "Always remember the good times when they were in their prime! Always remember those times you saw them in concert!" When there are people who never saw them live ever. Is that fair for those who never saw them? Is it fair for people who never got the chance to due to certain circumstances i.e HAVEN'T EVEN BEEN FUCKING BORN YET.

Are we just supposed to say "HA HA U NEVER GOT TO SEE (insert dead or retired musician here) SUCKS TO BE YOU!" to people who weren't even born to see the rock bands from the 70s and 80s in their prime? If that's the case and the attitude is just "well, sucks for you." then I'll ask again, what is the point for any new fan to get into them in the first place?

Edited by fraroc

I fucking hate it when people say "Always remember the good times when they were in their prime! Always remember those times you saw them in concert!" When there are people who never saw them live ever. Is that fair for those who never saw them? Is it fair for people who never got the chance to due to certain circumstances i.e HAVEN'T EVEN BEEN FUCKING BORN YET.

Are we just supposed to say "HA HA U NEVER GOT TO SEE (insert dead or retired musician here) SUCKS TO BE YOU!" to people who weren't even born to see the rock bands from the 70s and 80s in their prime? If that's the case and the attitude is just "well, sucks for you." then I'll ask again, what is the point for any new fan to get into them in the first place?

I don't know if I should award you points for bothering with the [/media] trick to uncensor yourself, or disqualify you for confusing non sequiturs.

The point of getting into a band is to listen to the band and enjoy what the band did and maybe get influenced or moved by the band's work, and generally have some fun, sport.

• Like 3

I know, I shouldn't get this mad over this, but goddamn. You don't really see this happen a lot with TRF, but more with pretty much every single public forum about classic rock from the 60s, 70s, and 80s. These people bitch and moan about millenials not appreciating rock n' roll and they say that they want to encourage the younger generation to listen to classic rock, but then they go and do nothing but brag about all the times they've seen all these bands in their prime, "YEAH, I SAW OZZY WHEN RANDY RHOADS WAS IN THE BAND! I SAW THE ORIGINAL VAN HALEN SIX TIMES! I SAW STYX BACK IN THE DAY. LOOK AT ALL THESE CONCERTS I'VE BEEN TOO, TOO BAD YOU WEREN'T BORN YET! SUCKS TO BE YOU!"

And I don't care if I get any backlash and even though it is a few isolated cases, I have indeed seen this happen before on this forum with people bragging about how many times they saw Rush back in the day.

Edited by fraroc

The band that has meant the most to me broke up 3 years after I was born. I experienced everything second or third hand. I do not feel sorry for myself.

• Like 5

The artists might be taken away. No one lives forever, and anything can and does happen.

But their music lives on.

This, I believe, is why they do what they do. Every man and woman on Earth is assured of their mortality at some point in the future, wether it be tomorrow or next century. Knowing this fully well, most people try to accomplish something in life that they can have faith in living on long after they have passed away, and musicians are such an excellent example. If you've learned nothing from listening to Blackstar in light of Bowie's death or Innuendo in light of Freddie Mercury's death, then you simply haven't been listening to the true meaning behind the music, the art, the show. Freddie gave it one of his last dying cries,"the show must go on," and Bowie created the mystical scene of the magic of music being passed on, "something happened on the day he died, spirit rose a meter and stepped aside, somebody else took his place and bravely cried, I'm a Blackstar." These are just two strong examples I like, but this is the reality for most of our favorite musicians if I had to guess. One of our greatest fears is that we will be forgotten, and one of our greatest comforts and treasures is the knowledge that we are remembered. By recording music and sending it to the world, artists give themselves some insurance that they will not be forgotten, but more importantly that the music they helped bring into the world need not end like themselves. Music doesn't die, it simply changes hands, switches voices, rises and falls, but lives forever.

• Like 2

I know, I shouldn't get this mad over this, but goddamn. You don't really see this happen a lot with TRF, but more with pretty much every single public forum about classic rock from the 60s, 70s, and 80s. These people bitch and moan about millenials not appreciating rock n' roll and they say that they want to encourage the younger generation to listen to classic rock, but then they go and do nothing but brag about all the times they've seen all these bands in their prime, "YEAH, I SAW OZZY WHEN RANDY RHOADS WAS IN THE BAND! I SAW THE ORIGINAL VAN HALEN SIX TIMES! I SAW STYX BACK IN THE DAY. LOOK AT ALL THESE CONCERTS I'VE BEEN TOO, TOO BAD YOU WEREN'T BORN YET! SUCKS TO BE YOU!"

And I don't care if I get any backlash and even though it is a few isolated cases, I have indeed seen this happen before on this forum with people bragging about how many times they saw Rush back in the day.

Too many mircoaggressions. Seek out your safe space, son.

Oh yeah, I remember seeing Rush way back in 1981. It was friggn' awesome.

Edited by ReRushed
  • Like 3

How the hell did this topic turn into another Fraroc thread?

How the hell did this topic turn into another Fraroc thread?

He blew onto the scene like something that would blow something else, with caps lock and crafty hackerman capabilities.

• Like 1

The point is quite simple: to experience the music. That possibility doesn't go away when the artist passes on, it just changes formats and methods. I've been the biggest Queen and Freddie Mercury fan I know since roughly sixth or seventh grade, and nothing (short of meeting a bigger fan) is ever going to change that as far as I can tell. Needless to say I will never meet my hero Freddie Mercury in this life, as he left this world just under seven years before I was born. While I do feel disappointed by this reality, I do not feel left out, nor do I feel sorry for myself, ungrateful, or really hurt by it. The fact that Queen and Freddie have the power to consistently move me and form a major part of my character seven years after the last possible time I could've met them all, and thirteen years before the last time I could've seen them on tour, it never ceases to amaze me and inspire me to do something so incredible. Another pro, I have gotten to know the band and their music and their character with their most classic story arc already complete and ready to be analyzed and repeatedly told. I have gotten to know that, as wild and hedonistic as Freddie and the band could be in their worser times, all the more they made up for it with the final chapters of Freddie's life. The thing I have always found most inspiring, most human, most Godly, most respectable about Mr. Mercury, the way he relentlessly pushed himself in his darkest hour, knowing fully well it was a losing fight, to give back to the world everything it had given him in the form of some of Queen's most legendary music. With death assured, with death constantly knocking at the door, through unimaginable pain and suffering, Freddie only pushed himself harder to make sure he had lived his life worthwhile and done something of some true value to the world. He knew just what death looked like and he didn't let it scare him back into bed waiting for it. He lived the very ideals that his music was meant to inspire in others: Hope, love, tragic perseverence, unity, Destiny, among others, and that gave the music an inherent credibility, nay, infallibility that could never pass away.

Sorry that was so long, but Queen matters a lot to me, and I felt it important to reassure you that the band's essentially storybook ending has frankly only made my fandom a more pleasurable and worthwhile pursuit.

• Like 2

I saw The Who with Keith Moon.

Top that one if you can. :coy:

Damn. I'll never listen to The Who again.

Also, it ticks me off that I'll never meet da Vinci, who died almost 500 years ago. Damn it, Lorraine, why do you have to remind me of that every single day with your avatar?!!

:)

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 3

Damn. I'll never listen to The Who again.

Also, it ticks me off that I'll never meet da Vinci, who died almost 500 years ago. Damn it, Lorraine, why do you have to remind me of that every single day with your avatar?!!

:)

I met that rascal. Mofo owe me 50 sheckles!!!

Wow. A long and sad list. It really is a reminder to appreciate every day to the fullest. Thanks for posting; I hadn't realized some of these artists had passed away.

Very sad. Unfortunately that's just a list of the musicians :(

I'll just post that list:

If it seems like we’ve lost a lot of musical icons lately, we have. Here’s the tally so far:

Scott Weiland, 48, drug overdose, December 3, 2015

Lemmy, 70, cancer, December 28, 2015

Robert Stigwood (manager and producer), 81, natural causes, January 4, 2016

David Bowie, 69, liver cancer, January 10, 2016

René Angélil (husband and manager to Celine Dion), 73, cancer, January 14, 2016

Dale Griffin (drummer, Mott the Hoople), 67, Alzheimer’s, January 17, 2016

Glenn Frey (Eagles), 67, complications from rheumatoid arthritis, acute ulcerative colitis and pneumonia, January 18, 2016

Jimmy Bain (guitarist with Rainbow and Dio, among others), 69, undiagnosed lung cancer, January 24, 2016

Colin Vearncombe (better known as Black), 53, car crash, January 26, 2016

Paul Kantner (Jefferson Airplane), 74, complications from a heart attack, January 28, 2016

Signe Anderson (Jefferson Airplane), 74, COPD, January 28, 2016

Maurice White (Earth Wind and Fire), 74, effects of Parkinsons, February 3, 2016

Dan Hicks, 74, cancer, February 6, 2016

Vanity (Denise Matthews, Prince protege), 67, kidney failure, February 15, 2016

Joey Feek, 40, cervical cancer, March 4, 2016

George Martin (Beatles producer), 90, natural causes, March 8, 2016

Keith Emerson (Emerson, Lake and Palmer), 71, suicide, March 10, 2016

Frank Sinatra Jr, 72, cardiac arrest, March 16, 2016

Lee Andrews (Lee Andrews & the Hearts, father of Questlove), 79, natural causes, March 16, 2016

Phife Dawg (A Tribe Called Quest), 45, complications of diabetes, March 22, 2016

Merle Haggard, 70, pneumonia, April 6, 2016

Prince, 57, unknown, April 21, 2016

Richard Lyons (Negativland), 57, nodular melanoma, April 21, 2016

Add in Gary Shandling, Harper Lee, Ken Howard, George Kennedy and Umberto Eco and it’s been a rough year in culture.

Richars Lyons died? Thats half of Negativland now gone. But not forgotte ...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EGSbyVjKIWE

Too many mircoaggressions. Seek out your safe space, son.

Oh yeah, I remember seeing Rush way back in 1981. It was friggn' awesome.

Hey, I wouldn't mind, but I personally can't stand how that's the only way people rank how big of a fan you are of a certain band or musician. By that logic, a young Rush fan who knows their music inside and out, and probably knows 10X more Rush then their own damn parents can never ever be as big of a fan as the one who has been around since the beginning and had seen them a gazillion and one times. Even though they may have Rush posters all over their room and listen to Rush religiously, they'll never be as big of a fan as the one that's been around since 74.

The measure of how much a person is a fan of a band shouldn't have to be a stupid pissing contest about how many times you've seen them in concert, but that's just the way it is with these damn people. It's just such high school bullshit, and most of these fans are either Gen-Xers or Baby Boomers

Edited by fraroc

I saw Johnny Bench break the all-time MLB record for career home runs by a catcher.

HA!! HAHA!! I AM WINNER!! :haz: :haz: :P

• Like 1