Deceased Artists....

Tick

We have lost so many artists lately it blows my mind.

Over the past 12 months alone the music business has lost a staggering number of giants in the industry.

Maurice White, Lemmy, Keith Emerson, Chris Squire, Scott Weiland, David Bowie, Paul Kantner, Prince, Glen Frey, and many more from all genres.

Some of the deaths get more notoriety than others based on overall pop status. I guess I’m blown away at Princes death as far as impact worldwide. Don’t get me wrong I know he was iconic, but to a level above what I thought. He seems to be garnering as much attention as the likes of Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston, did and maybe I’m wrong but maybe a little more than David Bowie did? Maybe it just seems that way to me?

In any event, we need a reprieve and here’s hoping we get no more of them for a while.

I'm not trying to be a downer but face facts - we will see a lot more. They are all in the same age bracket, give or take a few years.

Just saying to prepare yourself for the inevitable.

Something about the lifestyle that doesn't generate longevity.

• Like 7

Wow. A long and sad list. It really is a reminder to appreciate every day to the fullest. Thanks for posting; I hadn't realized some of these artists had passed away.

Very sad. Unfortunately that's just a list of the musicians :(

Edited by LittleRushmonkey
  • Like 1

Wow. A long and sad list. It really is a reminder to appreciate every day to the fullest. Thanks for posting; I hadn't realized some of these artists had passed away.

Very sad. Unfortunately that's just a list of the musicians :(

I'll just post that list:

If it seems like we’ve lost a lot of musical icons lately, we have. Here’s the tally so far:

Scott Weiland, 48, drug overdose, December 3, 2015

Lemmy, 70, cancer, December 28, 2015

Robert Stigwood (manager and producer), 81, natural causes, January 4, 2016

David Bowie, 69, liver cancer, January 10, 2016

René Angélil (husband and manager to Celine Dion), 73, cancer, January 14, 2016

Dale Griffin (drummer, Mott the Hoople), 67, Alzheimer’s, January 17, 2016

Glenn Frey (Eagles), 67, complications from rheumatoid arthritis, acute ulcerative colitis and pneumonia, January 18, 2016

Jimmy Bain (guitarist with Rainbow and Dio, among others), 69, undiagnosed lung cancer, January 24, 2016

Colin Vearncombe (better known as Black), 53, car crash, January 26, 2016

Paul Kantner (Jefferson Airplane), 74, complications from a heart attack, January 28, 2016

Signe Anderson (Jefferson Airplane), 74, COPD, January 28, 2016

Maurice White (Earth Wind and Fire), 74, effects of Parkinsons, February 3, 2016

Dan Hicks, 74, cancer, February 6, 2016

Vanity (Denise Matthews, Prince protege), 67, kidney failure, February 15, 2016

Joey Feek, 40, cervical cancer, March 4, 2016

George Martin (Beatles producer), 90, natural causes, March 8, 2016

Keith Emerson (Emerson, Lake and Palmer), 71, suicide, March 10, 2016

Frank Sinatra Jr, 72, cardiac arrest, March 16, 2016

Lee Andrews (Lee Andrews & the Hearts, father of Questlove), 79, natural causes, March 16, 2016

Phife Dawg (A Tribe Called Quest), 45, complications of diabetes, March 22, 2016

Merle Haggard, 70, pneumonia, April 6, 2016

Prince, 57, unknown, April 21, 2016

Richard Lyons (Negativland), 57, nodular melanoma, April 21, 2016

Add in Gary Shandling, Harper Lee, Ken Howard, George Kennedy and Umberto Eco and it’s been a rough year in culture.

• Like 1

It's times like this when I question the point in even being interested in music and pop culture. I don't think there is any. Why care about something that can easily be taken away from you forever? Edited by fraroc

It's times like this when I question the point in even being interested in music and pop culture. I don't think there is any. Why care about something that can easily be taken away from you forever?

So just stop posting and talking about music and stare at the wall all day.

• Like 1

It's times like this when I question the point in even being interested in music and pop culture. I don't think there is any. Why care about something that can easily be taken away from you forever?

Music and in the larger sense, art, lives on forever, sweetie. That's part of the magic. We always have the past to draw upon and we always have what is being created in the present to extend our vision even further.

• Like 6

The artists might be taken away. No one lives forever, and anything can and does happen.

But their music lives on.

Good posting!

I'd also like to add that music in general lives on.

• Like 1

The artists might be taken away. No one lives forever, and anything can and does happen.

Music and in the larger sense, art, lives on forever, sweetie. That's part of the magic. We always have the past to draw upon and we always have what is being created in the present to extend our vision even further.

Great minds think alike, bwa ha ha. But it's true. :) :)

• Like 1

To me, that's one of the amazing things about being a musician or an artist. You leave behind a sort of legacy. Although I'm not famous and relatively few people have heard the songs I've recorded, I think it's kind of cool that long after I'm gone some great-great-grandkids might listen to some of the stuff I made and know what sort of person I was, what sort of sense of humor I had, and so on. Or, if I ever stop being a chickenshit and put some stuff online, more people will tap in to a small part of my life.

• Like 5

Great minds think alike, bwa ha ha. But it's true. :) :)

:yes: :cheers: :)

• Like 1

To me, that's one of the amazing things about being a musician or an artist. You leave behind a sort of legacy. Although I'm not famous and relatively few people have heard the songs I've recorded, I think it's kind of cool that long after I'm gone some great-great-grandkids might listen to some of the stuff I made and know what sort of person I was, what sort of sense of humor I had, and so on. Or, if I ever stop being a chickenshit and put some stuff online, more people will tap in to a small part of my life.

I think that's great, and it's a lot more than most of us have from our grandparents and wish we did have. Even though modern technology can have its downside, there are many advantages to it. What you described is one of them.

• Like 2

I think that's great, and it's a lot more than most of us have from our grandparents and wish we did have. Even though modern technology can have its downside, there are many advantages to it. What you described is one of them.

Yes - I don't have access to any letters or anything like that. I've got facsimiles of some of my dad's WWII papers, and some photographs. With respect to really old photographs, you look at them and think, man, he looks like a grim, sober sort of s.o.b., doesn't he? Then you have to remember that they had to hold the pose for the exposure, which is why most of them aren't smiling...

Or in the case of rock album photos, it's because smiling just ain't rock and roll. You gotta look mean...

• Like 1

I heard a great(sad) Rock and Roll statement, that said if you were 30 in 1980 then today you would be 66.

So literally every single artist we grew up on in the 60's and 70's are (give or take a few years) this age.

Some are younger but plenty of others are even older.

Sadly, to those of us who grew up in the 70's and 80's this will become more and more regular.

We will never get used to it, as holding on to our youth is one of the greatest things we can do has humans.

All we can do is reflect and remember what they did for us in one way or anther.

• Like 2

I heard a great(sad) Rock and Roll statement, that said if you were 30 in 1980 then today you would be 66.

So literally every single artist we grew up on in the 60's and 70's are (give or take a few years) this age.

Some are younger but plenty of others are even older.

Sadly, to those of us who grew up in the 70's and 80's this will become more and more regular.

We will never get used to it, as holding on to our youth is one of the greatest things we can do has humans.

All we can do is reflect and remember what they did for us in one way or anther.

Well, and as some others have already said- the recorded legacies of all of these people will live on.

I think about that sometimes when I'm listening to an album- even if I've heard it hundreds of times- when I hear a song, or pay attention to a particular track or part within a song- it's as if it's there in my ear for the first time, all over again- what I'm hearing is what the artist intended for us all to hear, when it was brand new.

Especially when listening to something older, on headphones- something that predates my life completely can still be brought directly into my ears, into all of my senses- whispering into my ear as if 40 or 50 years ago were only just yesterday...as if no time has passed at all.

• Like 5

Most of the musicians we've lost this year came up in the music industry at the same time. Unfortunately, now this means that they are all getting old at the same time and a lot of them will be leaving us in large clumps. The people from the list posted on the last page were in their 70s or close to it. I remember when my grandparents hit that age, it seemed like every few months for a several year stretch they were going to the funeral of someone they knew.

It would be nice if this was it for a while. But that sad thing is that it more than likely won't be. Too many of these musicians are getting old at the same time so the inevitable is going to happen :(

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1