What song worked best and worst as show opener?

Eel Yddeg

What do you think?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. For Best?

2. 2. Worst?

• Finding My Way
    • Bastille Day
    • Anthem
    • The Spirit of Radio
    • The Big Money
    • Force Ten
    • Dreamline
    • Tom Sawyer
    • Limelight
    • Subdivisions
    • The Anarchist

Title says all.

For me, i'd rank the opening songs (Note that this does NOT have to do with quality, rather, how well it works as an opener)

Songs that work well as openers

2112 (Works PERFECTLY as an opener)

The Spirit of Radio

R30 Overture

Bastille Day

Anthem

Limelight

Finding My Way

Dreamline

The Anarchist

The Big Money

Force Ten

Songs that don't

Tom Sawyer

Subdivisions (Doesn't work as an opener AT ALL)

Post opinions below!

Of the tours I've seen, definitely the R30 overture because it had so many things in it! But there really wasn't an opener of the tours other then the last one that I DIDN'T like...

I picked The Anarchist only because it signaled the last tour....

:( I thought Subdivisions worked well as an opening song when they had it.

And what's wrong with Tom Sawyer? The folks in Rio became apoplectic when Rush did it.

They just don't really have the opening vibe, unlike songs like Bastille Day, Anthem, or even The Big Money.

:( I thought Subdivisions worked well as an opening song when they had it.

And what's wrong with Tom Sawyer? The folks in Rio became apoplectic when Rush did it.

Tom Sawyer hands down the best opener. The crowd in Rio went ballistic when they came on, and it's good to get that one out of the way so they're forced to have fan favorites for show closers :fury: (Like Xanadu or 2112)

The worst in that list? Force Ten. Works a lot better as a "second song" or that kind of thing, not as a show opener.

I thought Subdivisions was an excellent show opener.

Edited by BowlCity
  • Like 1

Best: Spirit of Radio

There is a reason they opened three straight tours with it.

Worst : The Anarchist

Simply not a good vibe at all. Also a reason they ditched it after only one show.

I think you're thinking of Clockwork Angels. That was only the opener for one show.

• Like 1

I'm going to comment only on when I have actually seen them perform .

The vibe in the venue when the lights went out and the swirling synth intro to 2112 came on was incredible - I can't imagine a better way to come out, esp when the first (loud) chords are struck ..

On the other hand, Tom Sawyer was a dud

• Like 1

Best: Spirit of Radio

There is a reason they opened three straight tours with it.

Worst : The Anarchist

Simply not a good vibe at all. Also a reason they ditched it after only one show.

I think you're thinking of Clockwork Angels. That was only the opener for one show.

Well your my fact checkin cuz. Thanks. I have to rethink my vote now.

Subdivisions doesn't work as an opener? The huge response the crowd gave it begs to differ.

As for the best opening song, of the ones I've seen I'll go with Spirit Of Radio. Tom Sawyer, Limelight, Dreamline and Subdivisions all worked well but you just can't beat that riff in Spirit opening the show.

The worst is The Anarchist. I love the song but it lacked that opening pop to it and the crowd reaction wasn't too great.

Best: R30 Overture. It had a little bit of a lot of good stuff.

Worst: The Anarchist. I think Caravan would have worked better.

Or Headlong Flight

I think Headlong Flight had a good spot in the R40 show. Replacing The Anarchist with Caravan as an opener would have made the start of the show much better.

I think Limelight worked great as the opener. That signature guitar riff was the perfect way to start the show! And the official live version was excellent. :)
  • Like 2

Dreamline and Spirit of Radio, hands down best. Worst are any songs that are not Dreamline or Spirit of Radio.

I could easily go with TSOR as the opener, but I really enjoy it as one of those late in the set list classics the crowd goes nuts for.

• Like 1

Imagine Xanadu as a show opener...

That's how we'd open our shows. We'd intentionally be milling about the stage before our set started and at some point the bassist/keyboardist would "test" his keyboard by holding down the E note...I'd then pick up my guitar and sort of noodle my way into the Xanadu volume swells, then the drummer would come in and do his bit...and then eventually we'd segue into Dreamline.

• Like 1