Rush On Bootlegging

Bigbobby10

So if I wanted there is a video of the Permanent Waves tour available??? Unofficially of course?

Years ago there was a pro clip of a PW show from Buffalo. It was only a few moments long. I'm guessing it was a B-roll from a local news station.

There's also some silent 8mm floating around from that tour or Moving Pictures. Now that I think about it, I think that footage is Moving Pictures.

The bottom line is money they feel they are being cheated out of, but no one makes any money off of the bootlegs, and I don't think anyone ever did.

Before the Internet days, bootleg recordings were big business for a lot of underground labels. Suggest you read Clinton Heylin's book "Bootleg" to educate yourself.

Even in the early days of recordable CDRs, there were a few collectors making big $$$ selling some of the now-common shows. No names, but a prominent seller that a few of you might remember from the mid-90s was pulling down six figures easily doing nothing but selling Rush boots.

Edited by Ron2112
  • Like 1

That's not our problem if people can't read and follow simple instructions.

Yeesh.....if the names The Swingin' Pig or TAKRL or Kornyfone don't mean anything to you, then you really aren't in an intellectual position to comment on this thread.

But here's a hint: bootlegging was around LOOOONNNNNG before the internet made free trading easy, practical, and inexpensive. Until 1998 or so, the only way most people had access to these recordings was the commercially-released stuff from the bigger underground labels. Yeah, trading circles existed, but those were hard to fond and even harder to break into.

People the piously say that no money should ever trade hands for bootlegs have absolutely no clue as to the effort, and in some cases, THOUSANDS of dollars that were spent to put these recordings into the free range where they exist today.

• Like 2

Yeesh.....if the names The Swingin' Pig or TAKRL or Kornyfone don't mean anything to you, then you really aren't in an intellectual position to comment on this thread.

But here's a hint: bootlegging was around LOOOONNNNNG before the internet made free trading easy, practical, and inexpensive. Until 1998 or so, the only way most people had access to these recordings was the commercially-released stuff from the bigger underground labels. Yeah, trading circles existed, but those were hard to fond and even harder to break into.

People the piously say that no money should ever trade hands for bootlegs have absolutely no clue as to the effort, and in some cases, THOUSANDS of dollars that were spent to put these recordings into the free range where they exist today.

Oh, Ron, pardon my stupidity. How low should I bow before your arrogance superior knowledge?

Oh, Ron, pardon my stupidity. How low should I bow before your arrogance superior knowledge?

Maybe just refrain from commenting simply because you can.......

• Like 1

But here's a hint: bootlegging was around LOOOONNNNNG before the internet made free trading easy, practical, and inexpensive.

It made it free AND inexpensive??

But here's a hint: bootlegging was around LOOOONNNNNG before the internet made free trading easy, practical, and inexpensive.

It made it free AND inexpensive??

"free" as in "unrestricted", not as in "no cost". Although in the case of torrent sites, "no cost" was the ultimate end.

I still kind of miss the excitement of striking up a correspondence with a trader by mail or by telephone because I responded to a magazine ad, and receiving that trader's handwritten tape list in the mail (yes, good old analog tapes...haha. I still have hundreds of them).
  • Like 3

I may get more into bootlegs just because of this thread....

There are some great, great things out there to be found.

I have a few. I just need t find the time to work on starting a good collection.

I have a few. I just need t find the time to work on starting a good collection.

There are a lot of amazing Rush bootlegs, some I like more than the official

• Like 1

I still kind of miss the excitement of striking up a correspondence with a trader by mail or by telephone because I responded to a magazine ad, and receiving that trader's handwritten tape list in the mail (yes, good old analog tapes...haha. I still have hundreds of them).

Anyone who remembers Gold Mine magazine or Blind Jogger catalogs, raise your hand.....

• Like 5

if the names The Swingin' Pig or TAKRL or Kornyfone don't mean anything to you, then you really aren't in an intellectual position to comment on this thread.

I worked in a couple of record shops from 1993-'96, and we sold these higher-end boots there-Swingin' Pig and TAKRL were almost exclusively soundboard recordings...they were very clumsily marketed in disguise as 'imports'...hahaha.

Generally, we sold single discs for $25, doubles for $50, and a 3CD set would go for anywhere from $60-75. And they sold, week in and week out.

I got to buy them at our cost, which was significantly less than that.

:ph34r:

• Like 2

I have to be honest, Neil went full Fraroc in his answer.

Dude chill! This man is obviously a die hard fan.

Before the internet, I bought Rush boots when I could find them, I don't know about other places but up in Toronto Rush boot vinyl was not common and later on when cds were the norm, still not a ton of silver pressed discs and I considered them rare finds, rarely passing up any that I spotted...

my Rush vinyl boot collection

- Rush 'n' Roulette 3 lp box (Chicago March '81) - $30 bought in the early eighties

- Electric Ladyland Studios Live (Dec '74) $12.50 bought mid-eighties

- Through Any Window (St. Paul March '86) $36 mid/late eighties

- Stellar Dynamics (mix of 2 Cleveland '74 shows) $45 mid-eighties

cassettes

- Whiskey A Go-Go (Nov '74) $10

- St. Louis 1980 recorded off the radio

CDs (all bought in the mid-nineties)

- La Villa Strangiato (St. Louis '80) $20

- Fly By Cleveland (Cleveland '74) $40

- Over the Europe (Germany 92) $60

- 2112 Days (Seattle '76) $40

- Cygnus X Story (Tucson '78) $60

- Praying for the Light (Pink Pop '79) $40

- Hemispheres Performance (Oslo '79) $40

after internet/torrenting

- hundreds of shows spanning every tour - cost? whatever my ISP charges me and my time and no money to the modern day Dub and Ken's of the world (no hate towards Dub and Ken btw)

I know many people conflate bootlegs with pirated material and unreleased shows that are torrented, but I think of them as 3 very different things. As a rule I never buy bootlegs anymore (although I couldn't help myself in 2 instances when I bought the recent releases of the ABC Broadcast and Spirit of the Airwaves). but other than that, no more bootleg purchases, just file sharing thank you.

Sorry if this upsets you Ray Danniels, but I promise, if you release full shows from the seventies and eighties, I'll buy them. Honest. Just as I have purchased every official live release up until now.

• Like 1

I just realized I probably still have my copy of the Power Windows tour bootleg on vinyl. I think it was "looking through power windows" or something like that. Obnoxiously blue cover. Recording was sped up very noticeably (to me anyway), so if you think Geddy's voice sounded higher back then, you ain't heard nuthin'. I'm sure they did that to fit more of the show on fewer LPs. I know you pays yer money, you takes yer chances on this stuff, but I remember being really let down by this boot. I also had ELP Works 1/2, and some Yes boot on vinyl, and both sounded like stolen masters--same ELP recording that the band used when they put Peter Gun on whatever album it was on, and I'm pretty sure Yes used "I've seen all good people" off the same recording I have as a bonus single with something. Those two boots will always stand out in my memory as the gold standard. I'm guessing they were inside jobs.
  • Like 1

Try to get an account at dimeadozen.org. It's the best site for boots. They keep a limited no of accounts, prune off and make stale account slots avail continuously, so might take a little time.

But once you get in, you get some time to build up to a 1.0 share ratio, and then you're good. so long as you keep at least a 1 (which means seeding / uploading as much as you've taken) ,and log in no less than every 6 weeks.

This site has a ton of stuff. Every genre. Nothing officially released, so it's not a Pirate site. It's a bootleg show place.

Edited by grep
  • Like 1

if the names The Swingin' Pig or TAKRL or Kornyfone don't mean anything to you, then you really aren't in an intellectual position to comment on this thread.

I worked in a couple of record shops from 1993-'96, and we sold these higher-end boots there-Swingin' Pig and TAKRL were almost exclusively soundboard recordings...they were very clumsily marketed in disguise as 'imports'...hahaha.

Generally, we sold single discs for $25, doubles for $50, and a 3CD set would go for anywhere from $60-75. And they sold, week in and week out.

And these days most, if not all, of those have been 'liberated' on dime.

• Like 1

And these days most, if not all, of those have been 'liberated' on dime.

Yep.

I was on dime for a little while, but there were too many things I wanted, so I pulled them...and then there isn't nearly enough time that I'm on my desktop at home to be able to seed- so my ratio totally went out the window, pretty quickly.

I was briefly on dime. I was new to that whole process I downloaded a show or or two, and somehow accidently screwed up my ratio. I asked a mod how to fix it and they were really douchey about it. So I eventually found another site that worked out better. Eventually you run out of spare time to actually listen to the shows you have, and I lost interest.

To this day I've never watched R30, Clockwork Angels or R40 all the way through in one sitting.

Try to get an account at dimeadozen.org. It's the best site for boots. They keep a limited no of accounts, prune off and make stale account slots avail continuously, so might take a little time.

But once you get in, you get some time to build up to a 1.0 share ratio, and then you're good. so long as you keep at least a 1 (which means seeding / uploading as much as you've taken) ,and log in no less than every 6 weeks.

This site has a ton of stuff. Every genre. Nothing officially released, so it's not a Pirate site. It's a bootleg show place.

Ive checked it out, it looks awesome. Honestly i just need to find the time to work at it a little

HAH! Ron was around way back, and probably knows more than most of us would even consider knowing! Ron was a "go to" person with Rush boots back in the old daze! You scoff!

• Like 1

Yeah...different places did different things....some were $15-$20 per disc....other's were $30! and those were the ones you researched before buying, because if it sucked...you were stuck!

My one local place cut deals with those of us that bought a lot, so it was a good place....AND they knew how to find things.... got a great Floyd boot from a show I saw in Philly in 1987 that, besides being a great show, was just an amazing piece of packaging!

Yeah...different places did different things....some were $15-$20 per disc....other's were $30! and those were the ones you researched before buying, because if it sucked...you were stuck!

My one local place cut deals with those of us that bought a lot, so it was a good place....AND they knew how to find things.... got a great Floyd boot from a show I saw in Philly in 1987 that, besides being a great show, was just an amazing piece of packaging!

Exactly....I got to the point with my local "indy record store" owner that he called me to give 1st dibs on any Rush or Floyd silvers he got in.