Rush On Bootlegging

Bigbobby10

I've bought all the official releases, with the exception of the TM tour disc. So if they're unhappy with the 100 or so boots I have, most of which are from tours without a live release, tough titties for them. How hard would it have been to roll tape on a few shows from those yours? They'd be making a fortune right now if they had a Permanent Waves, Hemispheres, AFTK full show cd to release.
  • Like 5

I've bought all the official releases, with the exception of the TM tour disc. So if they're unhappy with the 100 or so boots I have, most of which are from tours without a live release, tough titties for them. How hard would it have been to roll tape on a few shows from those yours? They'd be making a fortune right now if they had a Permanent Waves, Hemispheres, AFTK full show cd to release.

Geddy say this perfect

Geddy Lee Actually, you know, that's a very good point. A lot of people say 'It takes away from record sales' but I think you made the best point because the fact is that any fan who buys a bootleg is still going to buy your record. So, who is it harming? That's the other side of the coin.

Edited by Bigbobby10
  • Like 4

I love listening to bootlegs. I don't even call them bootlegs, honestly- just 'live shows'. Maybe it reflects the parlance of someone who listens to so many of them (or I used to, anyway- not as much these days). And I don't just mean Rush, but a whole lot of bands.

For me, the thing is that having them, and listening to them, never stops me from buying the official releases that the band puts out. So they're not losing anything, when it comes to my support (and my $ ).

Plus, it's just really enjoyable! I love them.

• Like 2

If they want a buck or two from it, maybe they should start releasing old shows from the vault.

No one makes any money on bootlegs. Except for Russians.

I was just thinking about that Black Forest CD and the Russian gangsters salespeople ! :)

• Like 1

I love listening to bootlegs. I don't even call them bootlegs, honestly- just 'live shows'. Maybe it reflects the parlance of someone who listens to so many of them (or I used to, anyway- not as much these days). And I don't just mean Rush, but a whole lot of bands.

For me, the thing is that having them, and listening to them, never stops me from buying the official releases that the band puts out. So they're not losing anything, when it comes to my support (and my $ ).

Plus, it's just really enjoyable! I love them.

I feel the same way. I enjoy the energy that comes across in the shows, and the recordings actually, I think, make me seek out and pay for more official recordings than I would have been interested in otherwise.

• Like 1

If they want a buck or two from it, maybe they should start releasing old shows from the vault.

I was just thinking about that Black Forest CD and the Russian gangsters salespeople ! :)

That was a crime. :LOL:

• Like 1

Geddy seems to have a really reasonable take on it. Neil can come across as a little bit more than sour, but in this particular case I think he was just joking. Edited by Day of Light

That was a crime. :LOL:

I used to go to record shows in the late '80s and early '90s that were full of criminals, then. :P

• Like 2

When I was about 13 and desperate for Rush stuff, I found a cassette tape bootleg of the '74 Whiskey show in an indie record store. It was about 15 bucks, which to me was a lot of money at the time. But I NEEDED to have it. It had Fancy Dancer and Bad Boy on it - that was Holy Grail stuff, right there.

Now I just think of that record store owner (who is still in business) maybe picking up an LP copy of that thing and making who knows how many tapes from it, and selling it to gullible desperate little idiots like me.

On the other hand, it was a blissful find.

• Like 5

The bottom line is money they feel they are being cheated out of, but no one makes any money off of the bootlegs, and I don't think anyone ever did.

Sure they do. Plenty of people sell bootlegs still today but it was much more prevalent before they were as easily available on the Internet.

Geddy seems to have a really reasonable take on it. Neil can come across as a little bit more than sour, but in this particular case I think he just sounded like he was joking.

I think he was more or less just parroting Ray Daniel's opinions.

HWQ: In a segment of a Montreal news feature called Pulse Probe the statement was made that the band felt the public was being ripped off by bootleggers. We feel the public rarely has access to bootlegs due to their very limited distribution and that bootlegs sell to collectors who know what they're buying. Any comments?

Danniels: To admit to being a collector of illegal goods is similar to being a habitual shoplifter.

Don't you think bootlegs are a tribute to a band and serve much the same purpose as a promotional album?

No.

Are you opposed to the music on bootlegs getting out to the general public?

Certain things are not intended for the general public. Recording a transaction between an artist and the audience without their knowledge is no different than recording a private telephone call.

What are the band members' views on bootlegs (a bootleg consists of unreleased or unavailable music as opposed to pirates or counterfeits which are copies of released records)?

Bootlegs rip off the public. They are not quality products. They deceive the public by capitalizing on the artists' name and image.

Does the band listen to other bands' bootlegs?

No comment.

How large do you feel the pressing of a bootleg is?

No comment.

Without going into areas you can't get into, can you tell us about the lawsuit in Montreal and what caused it?

No comment.

How many copies of the Rush bootleg were seized in Montreal?

No comment.

How many do you think were pressed?

No comment.

Any comments on the recording quality?

There is no quality involved. It was recorded on a $40 cassette player and then lost even more "quality" in pressing.

What do you think of the terrible cover on the Rush Around The World Recorded Live In Montreal boot?

As bad a rip off as the album.

If a Rush bootleg that was well recorded with a limited run came out would you take action?

Yes. If it was "well recorded" it would be a commercial release. It takes sales in excess of three to five hundred thousand albums to break even on what we consider well recorded.

What does the band or its management do about tape recorders at concerts?

Our people are instructed to confiscate and deal with the person(s) involved as seems appropriate to the time they are found.

Has Rush had any problems with counterfeit records?

Same as anyone.

Bootleg t-shirts and other unauthorized merchandise is a direct loss of money. Are you actively seeking out persons involved?

Yes. We don't appreciate calls and letters from irate parents because their kids have been ripped off. Most of the bootlegs are poor quality and a direct reflection on the band. Kids feel if the shirt has a Rush logo on it and it falls apart the first time it's washed, the band has ripped them off. We want to sell a second shirt the second time we come to a city and if you rip off someone the first time you can be sure they won't buy a second shirt.

So if I wanted there is a video of the Permanent Waves tour available??? Unofficially of course?

Years ago there was a pro clip of a PW show from Buffalo. It was only a few moments long. I'm guessing it was a B-roll from a local news station.

The bottom line is money they feel they are being cheated out of, but no one makes any money off of the bootlegs, and I don't think anyone ever did.

Sure they do. Plenty of people sell bootlegs still today but it was much more prevalent before they were as easily available on the Internet.

It says right on each and every bootleg I have that they are for free trade and not for monetary gain.

When I was about 13 and desperate for Rush stuff, I found a cassette tape bootleg of the '74 Whiskey show in an indie record store. It was about 15 bucks, which to me was a lot of money at the time. But I NEEDED to have it. It had Fancy Dancer and Bad Boy on it - that was Holy Grail stuff, right there.

Now I just think of that record store owner (who is still in business) maybe picking up an LP copy of that thing and making who knows how many tapes from it, and selling it to gullible desperate little idiots like me.

On the other hand, it was a blissful find.

:goodone:

I had the same experience, many times, with many different shows- things that were so tempting and exciting that I HAD to have them.

That's another feeling that the internet ruined forever.

But it has reduced costs significantly. :LOL:

• Like 2

Geddy seems to have a really reasonable take on it. Neil can come across as a little bit more than sour, but in this particular case I think he just sounded like he was joking.

I think he was more or less just parroting Ray Daniel's opinions.

HWQ: In a segment of a Montreal news feature called Pulse Probe the statement was made that the band felt the public was being ripped off by bootleggers. We feel the public rarely has access to bootlegs due to their very limited distribution and that bootlegs sell to collectors who know what they're buying. Any comments?

Danniels: To admit to being a collector of illegal goods is similar to being a habitual shoplifter.

Don't you think bootlegs are a tribute to a band and serve much the same purpose as a promotional album?

No.

Are you opposed to the music on bootlegs getting out to the general public?

Certain things are not intended for the general public. Recording a transaction between an artist and the audience without their knowledge is no different than recording a private telephone call.

What are the band members' views on bootlegs (a bootleg consists of unreleased or unavailable music as opposed to pirates or counterfeits which are copies of released records)?

Bootlegs rip off the public. They are not quality products. They deceive the public by capitalizing on the artists' name and image.

Does the band listen to other bands' bootlegs?

No comment.

How large do you feel the pressing of a bootleg is?

No comment.

Without going into areas you can't get into, can you tell us about the lawsuit in Montreal and what caused it?

No comment.

How many copies of the Rush bootleg were seized in Montreal?

No comment.

How many do you think were pressed?

No comment.

Any comments on the recording quality?

There is no quality involved. It was recorded on a $40 cassette player and then lost even more "quality" in pressing.

What do you think of the terrible cover on the Rush Around The World Recorded Live In Montreal boot?

As bad a rip off as the album.

If a Rush bootleg that was well recorded with a limited run came out would you take action?

Yes. If it was "well recorded" it would be a commercial release. It takes sales in excess of three to five hundred thousand albums to break even on what we consider well recorded.

What does the band or its management do about tape recorders at concerts?

Our people are instructed to confiscate and deal with the person(s) involved as seems appropriate to the time they are found.

Has Rush had any problems with counterfeit records?

Same as anyone.

Bootleg t-shirts and other unauthorized merchandise is a direct loss of money. Are you actively seeking out persons involved?

Yes. We don't appreciate calls and letters from irate parents because their kids have been ripped off. Most of the bootlegs are poor quality and a direct reflection on the band. Kids feel if the shirt has a Rush logo on it and it falls apart the first time it's washed, the band has ripped them off. We want to sell a second shirt the second time we come to a city and if you rip off someone the first time you can be sure they won't buy a second shirt.

Ray's just annoyed thinking about all the $$$ lost.

I find it amusing that someone like him - a wheeler and a dealer if there ever was one - should suddenly get moral.

It says right on each and every bootleg I have that they are for free trade and not for monetary gain.

Which doesn't prevent them from being sold.

• Like 2