Signals!

Rick N. Backer

Signals is a pretty polarizing album here. Too much synth? (No). Is it the last album of the band's golden era? (Yes). Better than AFTK? (Way).

I love it. As a bass player in garage bands, The Analog Kid, Digital Man and, yes, New World Man were, and still are, some of my favorite songs to play. I listened to it this morning on the train. I love Clockwork Angels, too. And you have to go back 30 years from that to find the band's last truly flawless album. Yes, even the kind of hokey Countdown (which had outstanding visuals during the tour).

• Like 8

Signals is great. It has kind of fallen out of favor for me in recent times but I still enjoy it, just not as much as the 3 albums before it or the 2 albums after.

The Analog Kid and Subdivisions are mainstays whenever I'm playing guitar, and naysayers be damned, Countdown is an awesome song.

• Like 6

Signals is a pretty polarizing album here. Too much synth? (No). Is it the last album of the band's golden era? (Yes). Better than AFTK? (Way).

I love it. As a bass player in garage bands, The Analog Kid, Digital Man and, yes, New World Man were, and still are, some of my favorite songs to play. I listened to it this morning on the train. I love Clockwork Angels, too. And you have to go back 30 years from that to find the band's last truly flawless album. Yes, even the kind of hokey Countdown (which had outstanding visuals during the tour).

And it still translates so well live. A great album. My oldest son's fav Rush record.

Nice to see a graybeard acknowledge the perfection of CA. It's still kicking my ass. I'm in awe Rush had that kinda vibe in them!

Edited by Tombstone Mountain
  • Like 2

I always considered GuP to be the final album of their golden era, even if it isn't one of my favorite albums. To me they entered a new phase on PoW.

And while I love Signals, AFTK is better. :cool:

Analog Kid and New World Man are awesome. Subdivisions is a classic. I love The Weapon as well. Good album!

• Like 3

It's a classic, make no mistake.

The polarising thing about it is obviously the mix, and I can see what they were trying to do...they were going for a massive wall of sound effect comprising a blend of synth and guitar, the kind of thing that Simple Minds pulled off so well.

IMO, they should have dialed the keys back just a notch, as the guitar is actually dark, heavy and delicious on a lot of it, and quite bombastic in feel...remasters and live takes have proven this.

Production issues aside, the songwriting is stellar.

• Like 6

My idea of 'Classic' stucks with 70s albums (and PeW and MP) but it gloriously opens a new season of Rush history. Edited by geezer
  • Like 1

My idea of 'Classic' stucks with 70s albums (and PeW and MP) but it gloriously opens a new season of Rush history.

I feel it hints at the future but is firmly the end of the classic era. Brown probably had much to do with that.

• Like 2

Love that "countdown" too describes the launch of the space shuttle Columbia in 1981.

Signals represented the band's last collaboration with Brown, who had co-produced every Rush album since 1975's Fly by Night, and had engineered their eponymous first album in 1974.

I love it. ♥

• Like 2

Yes, and lest we forget, he and Geddy fought over including Digital Man on the album. Fortunate for us that Geddy prevailed. Next thing we knew, that was the end of Broon.

How could someone not want Digital Man on the album? It's such an incredible song, with one of the most classic bass lines ever. :wacko: Edited by ILSnwdog
  • Like 7

Yes, and lest we forget, he and Geddy fought over including Digital Man on the album. Fortunate for us that Geddy prevailed. Next thing we knew, that was the end of Broon.

How could someone not want Digital Man on the album? It's such an incredible song, with one of the most classic bass lines every. :wacko:

I don't know. It is an incredible song. But it's true; he and Geddy had a bitter battle over the song. Broon hated it and refused to put it on the album.

• Like 2

Love that "countdown" too describes the launch of the space shuttle Columbia in 1981.

Signals represented the band's last collaboration with Brown, who had co-produced every Rush album since 1975's Fly by Night, and had engineered their eponymous first album in 1974.

I love it. ♥

I remember lying on my bedroom floor, listening to Signals with my headphones on, so my parents wouldn't have to tell me to "TURN DOWN THE DAMN STEREO!" I thought is was so cool how you could here the "chopper" go from one side of the headphones to the other. :haz:

Signals is an amazing album...and for the record, I score Power Windows as the last in a line of perfect albums.

• Like 3

Signals is a little gem in an outstanding Rush catalog.

Was there a big buzz/hype about the album at time of release or major promotion? I've always wondered that...since it's the follow-up to the monster Moving Pictures.

I like Signals a lot, but I don't LOVE it- at least not as much as a lot of people here, maybe. But its high points (which I count as six out of the eight songs) are very high indeed.

Digital Man is an incredible song! And so is The Weapon! And so is Countdown! Those three in particular are indispensable, in my opinion. Subdivisions, of course, is iconic. Analog Kid is great...and I even like the pop song on it quite a bit, too. :)

• Like 1

I like Signals a lot, but I don't LOVE it...I even like the pop song on it quite a bit, too. :)

Pop song???

New World Man. It got considerable radio airplay in 1983...and from the overall sound of it, yeah- it was just about the pop-est sounding thing they had made up to that point, to my ears.