What do you generally think of commercials?

OldRUSHfan

The minute my mind detects BS, my finger hits either MUTE or FF depending on what I'm viewing from, "live" or recorded...I'm REALLY PISSED how they are finding ways to shove ads down our throats when viewing 'On Demand' (you can't use FF or RW. what kind of shit is this? I'm TIRED of the GREED SHOVERS!!! Take your products and SHOVE 'EM UP YOUR ASSES SIDEWAYS!!!

:banana:

• Like 2

The mute button is my friend.

I generally find that if I'm not being assaulted by the sounds of them, the visual aspect is really not bothersome.

• Like 2

I only watch DVDs. The only time I see adverts (or commercials, if you prefer) is when I'm round at a friends house.
  • Like 3

I hate commercials and I hate ads. I don't watch a program unless it's recorded, paused for a long period of time, or on Netflix, or Public Television.

Commercials are why I really don't watch sports like I did when I was a kid. Take the NFL, for example. They said the games were too long, due to commercials, and then started running the game clock, even when the ball carrier went out of bounds. So, basically, they screwed the fans.

• Like 1

Dvr all my Favorite shows, never watch live so I zip through them but I actually like commercials while I'm watching the NHL. You can't turn around for just a second or you may miss a goal so the occasional break for commercial gives me a breather but that just means I can go do something for 90 seconds I'm still not going to sit there and watch them, on the other hand I agree with Aikenrooster, the amount of commercials in a single NFL game is asinine. Edited by alphseeker
  • Like 2

The other thing you can do is to make sure you have something else to flip to for a few minutes while the commercials are on if you're watching something live. Not a show you'll get hooked on but maybe a re-run of an old show you like where you can flip it on for a few minutes and then go back to what you were watching with no problem. I find the continuous TV repeats of The Simpsons, Seinfeld or Family Guy come in handy here.
  • Like 2

The minute my mind detects BS, my finger hits either MUTE or FF depending on what I'm viewing from, "live" or recorded...I'm REALLY PISSED how they are finding ways to shove ads down our throats when viewing 'On Demand' (you can't use FF or RW. what kind of shit is this? I'm TIRED of the GREED SHOVERS!!! Take your products and SHOVE 'EM UP YOUR ASSES SIDEWAYS!!!

You mean corkscrew!!!! :LOL:

• Like 1

I only watch sports live, no scripted shows. Always watch scripted shows on DVR.

It pays the bills for networks, but such a show killer.

When I've switched to Netflix, downloads or DVDs in the past, I've found that I miss commercial breaks.

There's no one commercial that I miss, in fact at an individual level, most are pretty annoying. What I miss is a breather from what I'm watching, I chance to use the can or grab a drink.

Now you might say, "just pause it." Psychologically it's not the same though. I have no sense of urgency. I have no motivation to remain on a schedule, and I also miss the random noise filling the house while I'm away.

Yes. I very oddly miss commercials when I don't have them. I do think they've gone overboard, and I'd prefe fewer, but I still want some just the same.

I love that Jason Statham ad also!!! That was a GREAT idea someone had! ^^^^^

I think the reason that commercials have gotten as offensive, if I may call them that, as they are, is that they assault our senses so much- both aurally and visually.

I've been watching some old, vintage segments of television broadcasts from the mid '70s to early '80s, that are on YouTube, and many of which do not have the commercials edited out of them- there used to be two seconds of just dead air/dark screen between commercials, and that's not the case anymore...and even worse is the number of edits/quick cuts within the space of even a 30-second ad. And they're extremely loud, compared to what they used to be like.

Commercials just used to be calmer, and not loud, and didn't attack our senses. I can remember when they were like that. It's just too bad that they stress us out and make us feel compelled to mute or skip them all the time.

• Like 3