Metallica VS Megadeth

Union 5-3992

Metallica VS Megadeth  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Which band is better?

It used to be Metallica. But recently I got into Megadeth and its like the difference between Rush and Toto.

Love both but Megadeth are insane at their best.

• Like 2

It used to be Metallica. But recently I got into Megadeth and its like the difference between Rush and Toto.

Yup. When I was getting into metal and heard Metallica, I was like, “sweet, this is awesome.” But a short time later when I heard Megadeth, I was like, “HOLY CHEESE WHERE HAS THIS BEEN ALL MY LIFE!”

Megadave every day(ve).

• Like 1

Yup. When I was getting into metal and heard Metallica, I was like, “sweet, this is awesome.” But a short time later when I heard Megadeth, I was like, “HOLY CHEESE WHERE HAS THIS BEEN ALL MY LIFE!”

Megadave every day(ve).

The reason I took forever to get into Megadeth is because when I was about 15, and new little about "classic" metal, I bought a cheap Megadeth album from a second hand record store. That album was Risk. Even to my still quite naive early metal days, it sounded shit.

Then two years later United Abominations came out. I bought it because Cristina Scabbia of Lacuna Coil was a guest singer on it. It was better but...it didn't blow me away. For whatever reason, already being into heavy bands like Trivium, Mastodon, Opeth, Machine Head, Testament and others, I never felt the desire to check out the classic albums.

I of course knew a fair amount of Metallica, and gravitated easily towards Master Of Puppets as Trivium covered a song off it and I loved it. Metallica and Maiden were easy 80s metal bands to get into (and Testament I got into because a friend was obsessed with them and I only heard at that point the nineties stuff like Demonic which I still think is amazing).

I didn't actually try Megadeth until I think last year when the debut was rereleased. I played the first album just once and was floored.

An issue I have with Metallica is...I know for many its boring to hear as its as frequently complained about amongst metal fans as "James Labrie sucks" or "eew, Slipknot", but I have always found the drumming really poor (and I do not think I even have an ear for drumming). Megadeth...those early albums at least, are spellbinding technically from every possible angle and as much as I enjoy Metallica, I think I could rank a good six or seven albums (including Dystopia) above every single Metallica release ever.

I haven't started collecting Megadeth yet (I will continue and complete Maiden this year, and then possibly start on Priest), but I know for a fact that, even though I own nearly every single Metallica album, I will be playing Megadeth constantly on Spotify to death whilst Metallica gathers dust.

My favourite thrash metal band used to be Testament, but I discovered Mekong Delta last year (so highly recommended, eighties thrash with a lot of prog influence!) and now Megadeth and both bands are now obsessive favourites!

I know this is a long post, but I am so glad I gave Megadeth a real try. I just wish I gave them more attention about a decade ago!

• Like 2

Megadave every day(ve).

The reason I took forever to get into Megadeth is because when I was about 15, and new little about "classic" metal, I bought a cheap Megadeth album from a second hand record store. That album was Risk. Even to my still quite naive early metal days, it sounded shit.

Then two years later United Abominations came out. I bought it because Cristina Scabbia of Lacuna Coil was a guest singer on it. It was better but...it didn't blow me away. For whatever reason, already being into heavy bands like Trivium, Mastodon, Opeth, Machine Head, Testament and others, I never felt the desire to check out the classic albums.

I of course knew a fair amount of Metallica, and gravitated easily towards Master Of Puppets as Trivium covered a song off it and I loved it. Metallica and Maiden were easy 80s metal bands to get into (and Testament I got into because a friend was obsessed with them and I only heard at that point the nineties stuff like Demonic which I still think is amazing).

I didn't actually try Megadeth until I think last year when the debut was rereleased. I played the first album just once and was floored.

An issue I have with Metallica is...I know for many its boring to hear as its as frequently complained about amongst metal fans as "James Labrie sucks" or "eew, Slipknot", but I have always found the drumming really poor (and I do not think I even have an ear for drumming). Megadeth...those early albums at least, are spellbinding technically from every possible angle and as much as I enjoy Metallica, I think I could rank a good six or seven albums (including Dystopia) above every single Metallica release ever.

I haven't started collecting Megadeth yet (I will continue and complete Maiden this year, and then possibly start on Priest), but I know for a fact that, even though I own nearly every single Metallica album, I will be playing Megadeth constantly on Spotify to death whilst Metallica gathers dust.

My favourite thrash metal band used to be Testament, but I discovered Mekong Delta last year (so highly recommended, eighties thrash with a lot of prog influence!) and now Megadeth and both bands are now obsessive favourites!

I know this is a long post, but I am so glad I gave Megadeth a real try. I just wish I gave them more attention about a decade ago!

I’ve always thought Lars gets more flack than he deserves, especially being the guy who played on ...AJFA. But to each their own. I actually wasn’t floored with the drumming on Rust In Piece when I first heard it, nor really on Peace Sells. I’e grown to love it, but I have to give Lars credit for the immediacy of his parts on Battery or Blackened. To be completely honest, Charlie Benante Of Anthrax is easily my favorite thrash drummer. I think he has more punk influence than his peers, likes to play beats you could skateboard to rather than just beats you can mosh to. I like them all, but Charlie’s the top for me.

My issue with Metallica vs. Megadeth is really more of a Kirk and James thing. Hetfield’s voice always seemed too rudimentary to me, aside from the very early days when he could still scream his head off. And Kirk never strikes me as a master guitarist. Just a dude who can play fast and play some good melodic lines from time to time. By no means is he bad, but when I heard Mustaine’s solo on Holy Wars, it became clear Whammet just wasn’t at that level.

Also this could really get me flayed, but I don’t get what’s so special about Cliff Burton as a bass player. I have no doubt he could play very well, but compared to the Geddys, Entwistles, Claypools, or Squires of the world (and especially considering how much he just matched the guitar riffs), he doesn’t seem extraordinary to me.

• Like 2

Megadave every day(ve).

I’ve always thought Lars gets more flack than he deserves, especially being the guy who played on ...AJFA. But to each their own. I actually wasn’t floored with the drumming on Rust In Piece when I first heard it, nor really on Peace Sells. I’e grown to love it, but I have to give Lars credit for the immediacy of his parts on Battery or Blackened. To be completely honest, Charlie Benante Of Anthrax is easily my favorite thrash drummer. I think he has more punk influence than his peers, likes to play beats you could skateboard to rather than just beats you can mosh to. I like them all, but Charlie’s the top for me.

My issue with Metallica vs. Megadeth is really more of a Kirk and James thing. Hetfield’s voice always seemed too rudimentary to me, aside from the very early days when he could still scream his head off. And Kirk never strikes me as a master guitarist. Just a dude who can play fast and play some good melodic lines from time to time. By no means is he bad, but when I heard Mustaine’s solo on Holy Wars, it became clear Whammet just wasn’t at that level.

Also this could really get me flayed, but I don’t get what’s so special about Cliff Burton as a bass player. I have no doubt he could play very well, but compared to the Geddys, Entwistles, Claypools, or Squires of the world (and especially considering how much he just matched the guitar riffs), he doesn’t seem extraordinary to me.

I could agree with all that...because I honestly find nothing exceptional at all about Metallica compared to everyone you compared them too.

I would even rate modern bands like Trivium and Mastodon way above Metallica too (and of course Dream Theater, my heart is fully open to them now).

Could you recommend me some Anthrax? I swear I always seem to go for bad albums (I don't remember what Anthrax I tried).

• Like 1

Megadave every day(ve).

I could agree with all that...because I honestly find nothing exceptional at all about Metallica compared to everyone you compared them too.

I would even rate modern bands like Trivium and Mastodon way above Metallica too (and of course Dream Theater, my heart is fully open to them now).

Could you recommend me some Anthrax? I swear I always seem to go for bad albums (I don't remember what Anthrax I tried).

Can’t go wrong with Among The Living, Spreading The Disease, or (if you’re feeling darker) Persistence Of Time. I also love State Of Euphoria, but it’s more for the established Anthrax fan who loves their sound than a newcomer looking for something to grab hold of. You can try it of course, in my opinion it’s their most “skateboardey” album that I’ve heard. Most will also recommend The Sound Of White Noise (which I still haven’t heard), but that began an era for the band with a different vocalist who was grungier (the others feature a vocalist more akin to Steve Perry....or the guy from Helloween....trust me that can be a very good thing if you’re open to it). I hear it’s great, so that’s also recommended.

Also you tend to like modern works by classic bands from what I’ve seen, and I hear the latest two Anthrax records are a great return to form, so you may want to check those out.

But mostly, I’d listen to SpreadingbThe Disease (more power metal) and Among The Living (pure classic Anthrax)

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo

Megadave every day(ve).

You asked this newb to recommend some Anthrax and not me lol.

Actually EP is right, try Spreading The Disease and Among The Living first. If that doesn't do it for you then don't go any further. You could try Persistence Of Time even if you don't like those two. But you're really not going to be a fan if you don't care for Spreading or Among.

EP, the reason Cliff gets all this praise is because he died too young. Like any well known musician who dies way too early, their work gets overrated to epic proportions. His death was also tragic as well. It wasn't drugs or alcohol like many other musicians. The tour bus skidded off the road in bad weather and he unfortunately died. I believe he gets more sympathy from fans because his death was an accident. As for his playing, besides a few standout moments like Anesthesia, the intro on For Whom The Bell Tolls and the middle of Orion, I don't really hear much. He certainly could have a different sound when he played. But the bulk of what he did on those first three albums never caught my ear.

That's why I never understood the complaint about not being able to hear the bass on Justice. My reaction has always been "wait, you can hear the bass on the previous albums?" From what I can tell Cliff was a very good player and a creative force in the band. But his playing rarely stood front and center.

To me, Metallica was always about the monster riffs and Hetefield's powerful (at one time) voice. That is what their sound is. Metallica does not exist without Hetefield. The same way Megadeth cannot exist without Mustaine or Anthrax without Benante.

Cliff's death is just used as another reason for fans to shit on Metallica because they didn't like them once they got popular. They like to say "if Cliff was still around they wouldn't have turned to garbage in the 90s". Which is absolute nonsense. Cliff didn't have complete control of the bands creative output like Steve Harris does for Maiden or anything. I bet Cliff would have stuck by his brothers and rolled with the changes just like the other three did.

• Like 1

The first four Metallica albums are better than anything Megadeth has released. I like 90's Megadeth more than what Metallica was doing in that decade though. After that they're both hit and miss. Metallica > Megadeth but both are legend.