Metallica VS Megadeth

Union 5-3992

Metallica VS Megadeth  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Which band is better?

...And Justice For All is SOOO underrated. So what if I can't hear the bass? There's more than enough awesome guitar, drum, and vocal work to keep my head spinning, plus it's super progressive and lyrically solid. Also when I hear people say Lars is a terrible drummer I just think to myself "so AJFA just doesn't count then?" Because he's a master control and finesse on this thing. Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 1

I prefer to hear bass since it was an actual instrument recorded for that album. Makes no sense to me, other than it was a complete and utter (and intentional) shitting on Of Jason. That said, it is what it is.....zero perceptibility of bass or otherwise. I largely really like the songs and have great memories of the album. It got me into them.
  • Like 1

...And Justice For All is SOOO underrated. So what if I can't hear the bass? There's more than enough awesome guitar, drum, and vocal work to keep my head spinning, plus it's super progressive and lyrically solid. Also when I hear people say Lars is a terrible drummer I just think to myself "so AJFA just doesn't count then?" Because he's a master control and finesse on this thing.

Justice isn't underrated at all. It's just a vocal minority who got all pissy because they couldn't hear the bass and were sad that Cliff had died. It's their second best selling album as well. I've seen them do Blackened, One, Shortest Straw and Harvester live and every song got a huge reaction. When I saw them in 2004 they opened the show with Blackened and you couldn't even hear James's vocals, the crowd completely drowned him out.

Lars has admitted that he knows he's not the fanciest or most technical drummer out there. Justice was the album that he really did try to keep pace with the other metal drummers out there. But even he knew that he was nowhere near the level of guys like Charlie Benante and Dave Lombardo. Lars plays what's best for the song and there's nothing wrong with that.

• Like 3

Hm...well, as I have just gotten into thrash and metal, and as I am just beginning to get into each of the big four, I am starting to filter what I like better than what.

That said, it's becoming apparent to me that my favorite of big four will likely be either Anthrax or Megadeth, with Metallica not far behind, and Slayer just not really being my taste (though not bad).

So Megadeth.

Try Seasons in the Abyss by Slayer. That's a great album that covers a range of music and isn't all GO GO GO KILL KILL KILL!

Metallica - not even close.

Don't get me wrong, I own, and really like, some Megadeth albums. However, back in the day, I loved Metallica (including Justice). I dropped off with the Black album, though I can appreciate where they were trying to go (horrible St Anger and all). I feel that last two albums have been somewhat re-invigorating.

Also, for me, one measure of a band is how much of a team effort they are. When I think of Rush, I hear three amazing musical personalities complimenting each other. When Ged did his solo album, it was very interesting and cool, but it most certainly was not Rush. Now, with Metallica, they have had a couple bass players (RIP Cliff), but I believe they have successfully re-inverted themselves. Today, Metallica is made up of very distinct musical personalities that continue to compliment each other and define the Metallica sound. As for Megadeth, who is even in the band now??!? Ellefson left and came back, so many other guitarists, drummers, I couldn't name them all! This is not a sign of a successful band. Mustaine has been successful because of his talent and drive, and Megadeth is his brand, but he has not built a successful band.

That's a great point.

To me (and probably everyone else) Megadeth is and always will be:

Mustaine

Ellefson

Friedman

Menza

• Like 2

Metallica - not even close.

Don't get me wrong, I own, and really like, some Megadeth albums. However, back in the day, I loved Metallica (including Justice). I dropped off with the Black album, though I can appreciate where they were trying to go (horrible St Anger and all). I feel that last two albums have been somewhat re-invigorating.

Also, for me, one measure of a band is how much of a team effort they are. When I think of Rush, I hear three amazing musical personalities complimenting each other. When Ged did his solo album, it was very interesting and cool, but it most certainly was not Rush. Now, with Metallica, they have had a couple bass players (RIP Cliff), but I believe they have successfully re-inverted themselves. Today, Metallica is made up of very distinct musical personalities that continue to compliment each other and define the Metallica sound. As for Megadeth, who is even in the band now??!? Ellefson left and came back, so many other guitarists, drummers, I couldn't name them all! This is not a sign of a successful band. Mustaine has been successful because of his talent and drive, and Megadeth is his brand, but he has not built a successful band.

That's a great point.

To me (and probably everyone else) Megadeth is and always will be:

Mustaine

Ellefson

Friedman

Menza

Yep. Those are the main four and i agree. Chris poland kicked ass on the records he played on too.

Hm...well, as I have just gotten into thrash and metal, and as I am just beginning to get into each of the big four, I am starting to filter what I like better than what.

That said, it's becoming apparent to me that my favorite of big four will likely be either Anthrax or Megadeth, with Metallica not far behind, and Slayer just not really being my taste (though not bad).

So Megadeth.

Try Seasons in the Abyss by Slayer. That's a great album that covers a range of music and isn't all GO GO GO KILL KILL KILL!

I actually have that out from the library right now, and while I can appreciate it and enjoy it to an extent, it still really isn't my taste.

So Megadeth.

I actually have that out from the library right now, and while I can appreciate it and enjoy it to an extent, it still really isn't my taste.

Listen to Testament, they are way better than Slayer.

Testament is the most consistently good thrash band from the 80s if you're looking for the straight up thrash metal sound. They got better with age too, while Slayer has been slowly deteriorating for 20 years now. Slayer still has good songs and good moments but most of what they did after Seasons is skippable.

• Like 1

all of slayer's stuff up to seasons is better than any/all testament

testament have mostly maintained their status as "pretty decent," but they don't have slayer's highs. show no mercy is plenty melodic

• Like 1

but hey, if you can't get over satan and garage rock production, there's always heathen, toxik, annihilator, death angel... lots of variety in the thrash scene back then

It's not those factors, though I will say the lyrics don't appeal to me to any great degree. I mainly say they're not my taste because the songs just don't capture or captivate me.

I prefer to hear bass since it was an actual instrument recorded for that album. Makes no sense to me, other than it was a complete and utter (and intentional) shitting on Of Jason. That said, it is what it is.....zero perceptibility of bass or otherwise. I largely really like the songs and have great memories of the album. It got me into them.

If Geddy Lee did decide to join Metallica in 1988 after almost producing Master of Puppets, they would probably go out of their way to make the bass more prominent. They wouldn't pull the shit they did to Jason on a bass legend.

But Jason is a bass legend

But he's not a legend because of how he played. He's one because of who he played with.

I wouldn't call Jason a legend...he's more of an unsung hero of the bass. He made the bass a very expressive instrument when he played solos.

• Like 1

So Megadeth.

Have you given Testament a try yet?

Not yet, what do you recommend by them?

I'm gonna go in the complete opposite direction of what most would probably say and recommend Dark Roots Of Earth.

Newer, more aggressive Testament is the best Testament.

I checked it out. I like it.

Also, neat bonus track cover of Dragon Attack at the end, lol.

The vocals are a little overproduced, but it's great stuff, better than Slayer.

• Like 1

So Megadeth.

I'm gonna go in the complete opposite direction of what most would probably say and recommend Dark Roots Of Earth.

What do you mean by the vocals being overproduced?

So Megadeth.

What do you mean by the vocals being overproduced?

Like, some part of their grit and loudness sounds like a product of the production rather than the signer's emotive ability. It just sounds a tad cheesy and a little inauthentic. For the most part though, I really don't care and I think it's great stuff.

So heavily engrossed in Metallica at the moment. Recently listened too the first seven Megadeth albums.

Now...Megadeth blew me away! But I won't pretend to like them more. I don't. Metallica still wins, but I can see Megadeth being a top metal band for me soon!

Still hoping I can find tickets for the sold out Metallica show here next month. Never been shut out of going to a show I wanted to like this before. We're a midsized city, so sellouts do happen but the tickets for this show were gone without giving people a shot. Five presales my brother and I tried and they all sold out fast. Virtually nothing was left for the public on sale day unless you wanted to pay $100 a ticket for nosebleeds.

Looks like this will be the first time since 1992 we miss a Metallica show here.

Still hoping I can find tickets for the sold out Metallica show here next month. Never been shut out of going to a show I wanted to like this before. We're a midsized city, so sellouts do happen but the tickets for this show were gone without giving people a shot. Five presales my brother and I tried and they all sold out fast. Virtually nothing was left for the public on sale day unless you wanted to pay $100 a ticket for nosebleeds.

Looks like this will be the first time since 1992 we miss a Metallica show here.

Buffalo's been hit pretty quick for a lot of bands. Paul McCartney, Elton John, Metallica were all gone quick.

Metallica makes better albums when they make good albums, but Megadeth made far more good albums than Metallica. Because when Metallica does not make good albums, they make horrible ones. Megadeth has never made a horrible album.

So I could have voted either way, but gave the edge to Metallica for their early output. Megadeth nearly reached that with Rust, though.