Next Star Trek TV Series

JohnRogers

I just hope they don't screw it up. I don't hold much hope.

I hope they don't try and stick to an old school vibe. Even if older fans don't like it I hope they continue a modern approach as they did with the films.

Really? In this case, modern is definitely not better.

If "modern approach" means how the last two JJ Abrams parallel universe Trek flicks have gone, then for the most I don't want it.

They just didn't feel like they were in the Trek universe....even the first one which I didn't mind.

Every Trek tv series at least felt like Trek...even the ones which I didn't like too much. I can't say that for Abrams Trek.

The more I think about it the more I think you and Eaglemoon are right. I did enjoy both films but I did sense something not quite right about them.

Hhhmmm...

There is a feel of utopian perfectionism that is missing from the new movies. The old series and movies gave us a world where humans are supposedly more evolved in our social structure. It's a positive view of how things could be, rather than just a dark shoot-em-up action movie. We can get that from most other movie franchises

Aaah yes that is actually pretty true. Even when they altered the future it makes no sense.

But this is no different really to pieces of classic literature being changed for modern audiences.

The world of the sixties dreamed of a future that would not feel real for modern audiences. I have to say I don't think it would work. They could try but that utopian mindset is ripped straight from old school science fiction.

Yet it's more relevant that ever.

I am not interested in art that maintains a goal of appeasing masses. I am interested in art that challenges the masses.

And if that means Star Trek has to get smaller to survive: so be it. Selling out is not worth it.

I'd rather read good star trek stories scrawled out on a men's room wall than see a work of art defaced and rendered meaningless as a big budget summer blockbuster.

I don't think it's selling out. The original Star Trek is very much of its time. To keep it the same tone as it was back then to please the old faithful is worse than not taking risks.

I hope they don't try and stick to an old school vibe. Even if older fans don't like it I hope they continue a modern approach as they did with the films.

If "modern approach" means how the last two JJ Abrams parallel universe Trek flicks have gone, then for the most I don't want it.

They just didn't feel like they were in the Trek universe....even the first one which I didn't mind.

Every Trek tv series at least felt like Trek...even the ones which I didn't like too much. I can't say that for Abrams Trek.

The more I think about it the more I think you and Eaglemoon are right. I did enjoy both films but I did sense something not quite right about them.

Hhhmmm...

There is a feel of utopian perfectionism that is missing from the new movies. The old series and movies gave us a world where humans are supposedly more evolved in our social structure. It's a positive view of how things could be, rather than just a dark shoot-em-up action movie. We can get that from most other movie franchises

Aaah yes that is actually pretty true. Even when they altered the future it makes no sense.

But this is no different really to pieces of classic literature being changed for modern audiences.

The world of the sixties dreamed of a future that would not feel real for modern audiences. I have to say I don't think it would work. They could try but that utopian mindset is ripped straight from old school science fiction.

I am not interested in art that maintains a goal of appeasing masses. I am interested in art that challenges the masses.

And if that means Star Trek has to get smaller to survive: so be it. Selling out is not worth it.

I'd rather read good star trek stories scrawled out on a men's room wall than see a work of art defaced and rendered meaningless as a big budget summer blockbuster.

I don't think it's selling out. The original Star Trek is very much of its time. To keep it the same tone as it was back then to please the old faithful is worse than not taking risks.

The Next Generation did not share a tone with the original series, but succeed in carrying the torch in the more important senses. More than ever, the Utopian vision of the future is relevant as we push to overcome the limitations of history. We don't need more anti heroes and exploration of shortfalls. We need to see the way past that.

And if the show doesn't want to go that direction, it's not Star Trek. It's a formulaic, generic space adventure branded with the Star Trek name.

• Like 1

Hhhmmm...

The Next Generation did not share a tone with the original series, but succeed in carrying the torch in the more important senses. More than ever, the Utopian vision of the future is relevant as we push to overcome the limitations of history. We don't need more anti heroes and exploration of shortfalls. We need to see the way past that.

And if the show doesn't want to go that direction, it's not Star Trek. It's a formulaic, generic space adventure branded with the Star Trek name.

This is exactly what I'm trying to say.

Any new news on this yet? My god they're keeping it under wraps tight this time.

No idea of the casting or even if it'll really take place in the prime universe and not the Lensflariverse.

Any new news on this yet? My god they're keeping it under wraps tight this time.

No idea of the casting or even if it'll really take place in the prime universe and not the Lensflariverse.

Yeah we should be seeing stuff after Beyond closes in theaters. It opens July 22nd.

Yeah we should be seeing stuff after Beyond closes in theaters. It opens July 22nd.

Star Trek is supposed to have a huge presense at the San Diego comic con this year, and the new Trek's EP is slated to speak there. So people are expecting the first details about the show to be released then. I believe it's July 23rd.

The trailer looks a bit too CGI plastic, I hope it doesn't look that.

What trailer???

There was a teaser bump at a CBS expo in may. It shows nothing. It doesn't even give us the full title of the show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXpPweAooeE

Bryan Fuller, the new executive producer, has hinted that this teaser contains some 'easter eggs', but nobody online has really figured out what they could be conclusively. Some have speculated that the exploded planet could represent Praxis- the Klingon moon...

I think that the Starfleet chevron in the logo looks somewhat similar to the insignia from the finales of TNG and Voyager, when time flashed forward to show the respective captains in the not-too-distant future.

Most of all, people seem fixated on the fact that the teaser says "New Crews": suggesting that the show my not focus on just one starship.

Perhaps the series will recycle this "brilliant" idea of Gene's that never got used.

http://movieweb.com/...rk-jesus-fight/

I wonder if that idea eventually got (partially) recycled for Star Trek V, with the showdown against "God".

I wondered aboot that during the Shatner paragraph.

Perhaps the series will recycle this "brilliant" idea of Gene's that never got used.

http://movieweb.com/...rk-jesus-fight/

I wonder if that idea eventually got (partially) recycled for Star Trek V, with the showdown against "God".

I wondered aboot that during the Shatner paragraph.

From what I've read, the plot idea was all from Shatner, who based it on his disgust towards televangelists and their false messages and false claims that God spoke directly to them.

I might be the only one, but I enjoyed ST:V more than Nemesis by a wide margin.

There's a lot of comedic highlights in it.

• Like 1

You're not.

As flawed as ST:V is, I actually find it to be an enjoyable movie.

I didn't like it on first run at all but over time it's become better.

You're not.

As flawed as ST:V is, I actually find it to be an enjoyable movie.

Same, ST: V > Nemesis.

In my case, it's pretty bad BUT I've always preferred the charm & banter of the original crew.

• Like 1

What is ST-V

I am being thick I own all the films I just having a dumb moment.

What is ST-V

Spock's brother Sybok hijacks the Enterprise to go find "God".

OH THAT ONE!

I'd forgotten about that...saw it once a bazillion years ago.

What is ST-V

OH THAT ONE!

I think it's pretty crap and the worst of the original Trek crew flicks. However, there are moments that I do find enjoyable.

• Like 1

What is ST-V

OH THAT ONE!

I think it's pretty crap and the worst of the original Trek crew flicks. However, there are moments that I do find enjoyable.

Here's reason enough to watch part 5.

They haven't been able to match the chemistry the the big three since IMO, even as awesome as the TNG and DS9 crews are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpxRS8GORmk

Edited by Del_Duio