Next Star Trek TV Series

JohnRogers

I want Star Trek to go on forever. I am not even that much of a fab, I just find its longevity comforting.

Looking forward to this!

Takes place right after Undiscovered Country. Not on the Enterprise.

Oh no!

Damnit, I wanted it to be set after the events of DS9 and VOY.

I gotta' look this up, stat!

Takes place right after Undiscovered Country. Not on the Enterprise.

Oh no!

Damnit, I wanted it to be set after the events of DS9 and VOY.

I gotta' look this up, stat!

Latest news, each season will be anthology so season one may take place in one era season two in another!

• Like 1

Glad that it's in the prime universe.

Not happy that it's in the past.

Because you know the major events of the galaxy through the end of TNG?

Glad that it's in the prime universe.

Not happy that it's in the past.

The 'anthology' rumor does seem very promising.

Yeah that's the best part of it, actually.

I was hoping they'd have learned from their mistakes with ENT and at least kept the timeline moving forward.

Imagine a season devoted to getting Sisko back from the wormhole?? So awesome.

I remember Trek in it's first run, as a kid. It is my first memory of TV. Shatner's voice, and Nimoy's face.

I was not looking forward to the new series - thought it would be just another Voyager. Ugh.

But the anthology format just might work. My prediction is that there will be a common thread between the seasons(trek eras??), binding them to each other and to the already established canon. So long as they stay away from that godforsaken JJ-Verse.

Yes, I want to see a post-dominion war story. Absolutely. Especially while the TNG/DS9/Voy actors are still around. Let's see.

Edit:

PS: There hasn't been too much word about the B5 movie and new Galactica series as of late. Hopefully all the new buzz around Sci-Fi lately helps push those along as well.

Edited by grep
  • Like 1

Sounds like the new series will be filmed in Toronto starting in September.

Could this mean the end of Strange New Worlds that look suspiciously like Southern California?

From Defiance to Stargate strange new worlds as of late look like Vancouver.

I just hope they don't screw it up. I don't hold much hope.

That's the spirit! ;)

Considering how they ruined the movies, if it's in the same vein it's going to be bad. I do hold out hope though that they come to their senses.

I hope they don't try and stick to an old school vibe. Even if older fans don't like it I hope they continue a modern approach as they did with the films.

I hope they don't try and stick to an old school vibe. Even if older fans don't like it I hope they continue a modern approach as they did with the films.

Really? In this case, modern is definitely not better.

By modern I don't mean BAD LIKE THE FILMS.

I enjoyed much of the films but still feel that something is amiss.

Something with the look and feel of modern sci-fi with a stronger grasp on character and dialogue in line with the first two incarnations of Star Trek would be awesome.

If "modern approach" means how the last two JJ Abrams parallel universe Trek flicks have gone, then for the most I don't want it.

They just didn't feel like they were in the Trek universe....even the first one which I didn't mind.

Every Trek tv series at least felt like Trek...even the ones which I didn't like too much. I can't say that for Abrams Trek.

• Like 1

If "modern approach" means how the last two JJ Abrams parallel universe Trek flicks have gone, then for the most I don't want it.

They just didn't feel like they were in the Trek universe....even the first one which I didn't mind.

Every Trek tv series at least felt like Trek...even the ones which I didn't like too much. I can't say that for Abrams Trek.

The more I think about it the more I think you and Eaglemoon are right. I did enjoy both films but I did sense something not quite right about them.

Hhhmmm...

• Like 1

The more I think about it the more I think you and Eaglemoon are right. I did enjoy both films but I did sense something not quite right about them.

Hhhmmm...

There is a feel of utopian perfectionism that is missing from the new movies. The old series and movies gave us a world where humans are supposedly more evolved in our social structure. It's a positive view of how things could be, rather than just a dark shoot-em-up action movie. We can get that from most other movie franchises

Hhhmmm...

There is a feel of utopian perfectionism that is missing from the new movies. The old series and movies gave us a world where humans are supposedly more evolved in our social structure. It's a positive view of how things could be, rather than just a dark shoot-em-up action movie. We can get that from most other movie franchises

Aaah yes that is actually pretty true. Even when they altered the future it makes no sense.

But this is no different really to pieces of classic literature being changed for modern audiences.

The world of the sixties dreamed of a future that would not feel real for modern audiences. I have to say I don't think it would work. They could try but that utopian mindset is ripped straight from old school science fiction.

Hhhmmm...

Aaah yes that is actually pretty true. Even when they altered the future it makes no sense.

But this is no different really to pieces of classic literature being changed for modern audiences.

The world of the sixties dreamed of a future that would not feel real for modern audiences. I have to say I don't think it would work. They could try but that utopian mindset is ripped straight from old school science fiction.

But that utopian mindset is an integral part of what Star Trek is. If they change it, it's not Star Trek anymore. It's something else.

Hhhmmm...

Yet it's more relevant that ever.

I am not interested in art that maintains a goal of appeasing masses. I am interested in art that challenges the masses.

And if that means Star Trek has to get smaller to survive: so be it. Selling out is not worth it.

I'd rather read good star trek stories scrawled out on a men's room wall than see a work of art defaced and rendered meaningless as a big budget summer blockbuster.

Edited by KenJennings

The challenge is keeping utopian perfection from being boring. Ron Moore felt so constrained from Trek human perfection that every character in his 2003 Battlestar Galactica reboot was totally unlikable. Older audiences appreciated characters one could admire. It seems today modern audiences want flawed characters...keeping it real.

A talented show runner and writers who respect Trek can pull it off. If their top concern is making their mark and breaking new ground watch out for a mess.