What album do you think is better - Hemispheres or Moving Pictures?

Lorraine

For me moving pictures. I just listen to it more still. While hemispheres the song may be one of my favorite tracks they have done, i feel mp is a better album.

I love witch hunt and vital signs

Vital Signs is the weakest track on both albums.

Hemi it is.

M'kay dude

http://www.amsterdamcannabis.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/cannabis-cup-2.png

How'd you get that picture? I had the windows covered with newspapers.
  • Like 3

Hemispheres for me.

I always felt MP......Classic as it is......closed a little weakly with Witch Hunt and Vital Signs.

Hemispheres is perfection through and though.

Mick

I agree about the last two songs on the album, but I thought to myself that it isn't easy having an album with seven winning songs on it, and that's what Rush did with MP.

Hemispheres is on another level and it almost didn't seem fair to put it and MP alongside one another, but I was wondering what others here thought.

yea and that's not taking a thing away from MP. It just like builds to the camera Eye. which sounds like it could have been a closer. then the last 2 kinda just sit there. also when i feel i might warm to Witch Hunt.......it ends. kinda abruptly.

i know a lot will disagree but what else is new, lol

Mick

Actually I agree with you, except for Witch Hunt. To me it's Vital Signs that kills the train. Not a bad song, but should've been left for later.

Like Signals later

ya i hear ya......it Sticks out so badly on MP.

Mick

I look at it as foreshadowing. A taste of what was coming next.

How in the world they did that is beyond me, unless they really knew what was coming with Signals and GUP.

I've always thought that Witch Hunt was weak (except the lyrics), but the album is excellent. I like 2112, CoS, Hemispheres, and PeW more, but I recognize that MP is probably a better album than any of them. I think listening fatigue probably plays a large part of my opinion.
  • Like 2

Hemi it is.

M'kay dude

http://www.amsterdamcannabis.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/cannabis-cup-2.png

You should have tried aluminum foil.

• Like 1

Hemi it is.

M'kay dude

You should have tried aluminum foil.

Foil is for makeshift bowls.

Or so I've heard.

• Like 1

Moving Pictures even though HEMI is a taste of my favorite album to come Permanent Waves. I don't listen to as much as I love it, over exposed. But I listen to MP quite a bit more than giving HEMI a spin.

Cygnus X1 Book II

Circumstances

The Trees

La Villa Strangiato

Not only better than Moving Pictures, but better than everything else

You wanna compare Hemispheres to something like Close To The Edge ?? .. ok, that's a conversation

But not Moving Pictures and it's tidy little group of cornball songs

For me, Moving Pictures is it.

"Witch Hunt" is a song where the music and lyrics perfectly convey the subject matter.

"Vital Signs" opens the door to the next era of Rush. An era that, for me, might be the most rewarding. I love when a band is one step ahead of its fan base.

Anyway Moving Pictures is the album. The masterpiece. Artistically. Commercially. Critically.

I can't begin to describe what it means to me.

• Like 3

"Witch Hunt" is a song where the music and lyrics perfectly convey the subject matter.

"Vital Signs" opens the door to the next era of Rush. An era that, for me, might be the most rewarding. I love when a band is one step ahead of its fan base.

Anyway Moving Pictures is the album. The masterpiece. Artistically. Commercially. Critically.

It's interesting to me that you choose to praise two songs which are easily the worst on the album and which are worse than anything on Hemispheres.

• Like 1

It's interesting to me that you choose to praise two songs which are easily the worst on the album and which are worse than anything on Hemispheres.

A lot of fans unfairly rag on those songs. They are very good songs I think deserve some defense from criticism. And I don't think they are any worse than "Circumstances" or "The Trees". I always thought "The Camera Eye" is the worst song on Moving Pictures. It's a bit repetitive. But in recent years I've grown to appreciate it more.

Tough choice. Hemispheres is and always will be my favorite Rush album but Moving Pictures was the pinnacle of their commercial success.
  • Like 1

A lot of fans unfairly rag on those songs. They are very good songs I think deserve some defense from criticism. And I don't think they are any worse than "Circumstances" or "The Trees". I always thought "The Camera Eye" is the worst song on Moving Pictures. It's a bit repetitive. But in recent years I've grown to appreciate it more.

It's grown as well on me, becoming a favorite of mine. But Vital Signs and Witch Hunt have no place on the album I think is Rush's best.