What album do you think is better - Hemispheres or Moving Pictures?

Lorraine

I find I get sick of Geddy's voice on live recordings.

Eat me. But I do.

I would rank MP in my top three. Hemispheres? Top 10, but low top 10.

But one of the 12 Rush records I define as all time classic.

I have not been deep into Rush in a long time now.

Played Signals........loved it. but was not inspired to a rush Dive.

i think i know them to well, lol

don't ya hate that?

Mick

I felt like that for quite a few years back in the late 90s and early 2000's. I rarely listened to them. For the past 5 years or so though I listen to them all the time. Can't get enough.

I would rank MP in my top three. Hemispheres? Top 10, but low top 10.

But one of the 12 Rush records I define as all time classic.

What are the top 10?

1. AFTK

= HYF

= MP

4. PeW

5. GUP

6. CoS

7. FBN

8. VT

9. Presto

10. Hems

The answer is Hemispheres.

I listened to both albums yesterday. Neither album contains a single fault- they are absolutely exemplary.

But if I may use a baseball analogy...Moving Pictures is full of home run after home run- every song just knocks it out of the park.

But Hemispheres...the title track, Circumstances, and La Villa Strangiato are all bottom of the 9th, bases-loaded, full-count pitch grand slams. The emotion and energy are just overwhelming!

• Like 1

I know everyone loves the first side of Hems (how could you not? (Yes I know I once didn't but sshhhh)).

Yet replaying the second side, I was struck by the brilliance of Circumstances. What a fantastic tune!

The answer is Hemispheres.

I listened to both albums yesterday. Neither album contains a single fault- they are absolutely exemplary.

But if I may use a baseball analogy...Moving Pictures is full of home run after home run- every song just knocks it out of the park.

But Hemispheres...the title track, Circumstances, and La Villa Strangiato are all bottom of the 9th, bases-loaded, full-count pitch grand slams. The emotion and energy are just overwhelming!

Can't argue with that at all, but I was struck all of a sudden when listening to MP the other day by its own brilliance.

However, if I had to choose between the two, even I would go with Hemispheres. If Rush had fallen apart after they recorded that album, they would still be remembered for it today.

I know everyone loves the first side of Hems (how could you not? (Yes I know I once didn't but sshhhh)).

Yet replaying the second side, I was struck by the brilliance of Circumstances. What a fantastic tune!

I love Hemispheres. Primarily for side 2. Side 2 is the "prequel" to the majesty of PeW.

I love Hemispheres. Primarily for side 2. Side 2 is the "prequel" to the majesty of PeW.

And it is majestic! I listened to it the other day. :wub:

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

And it is majestic! I listened to it the other day. :wub:

Yes...thinking about what I said a few weeks ago, that I believe I like it even more than Hemispheres now...well, I'm just not sure.

But I don't have to be. :)

• Like 1

For a long time, I have felt a similarity between The Trees and George Orwell's Animal Farm

Maybe it is the fact that I first heard The Trees when I was 11 or 12 years old, but I never thought of it was hokey ..

Thankfully, to this day, it still strikes me as surreal - almost in an Alice In Wonderland way

I love the classical guitar too .. and that middle section is gold

oh **** it, the entire song rules

When I listened to The Trees as a teenager, I used to picture the oaks as the apple trees throwing apples at Dorothy and her posse in "The Wizard of Oz." Those mean, wicked oaks! I've since outgrown my democratic leanings.

Anyone feel that Vital Signs is half finished. I've ad libbed guitar solos over the end. It could have built to a massive crescendo.

Yeah i have had that feeling,about it,but never thought about putting some solos on it.It always felt that it was a sign(sorry)of things to come with its reggae/ska feel for tracks like Digital Man and New World Man.I love the track now,the penny dropped on this and the Camera Eye twenty years ago,and love the way Neil belts the tubs at the end.Speaking of ending solos ,on The Wreckers on CA,Alex seems to be launching into an epic solo as the track fades.Can't remeber if this has been mentioned before.

mann i remember getting my mp vinyl on day of release. holding it in hands devouring every detail of the sleeve absorbing the lyrics and new images like most of you would've done. reminds me life definitely has it moments :)

couldn't say which better though, actually prefer post-hemispheres rush but even so, that album just too perfect

Cygnus Bk 2 is a bit overlong and repetitive. Thats the only thing keeping it from being a perfect 10.

The production of Witch Hunt is very dry, it would come to life later on in performance and Vital Signs is isnt a great closer imo.

That being said rhe run from Hemi to Signals is still pretty damn incredible.

Anyone feel that Vital Signs is half finished. I've ad libbed guitar solos over the end. It could have built to a massive crescendo.

Never felt it was half-finished, no.

You raise an interesting idea...but I think that song is perfect as it is; I love it.

Moving Pictures and Hemispheres isn't even close to Slippery When Wet.

Moving Pictures and Hemispheres isn't even close to Slippery When Wet.

WARNED

Lol

Hemispheres is just so overrated it makes me want to swallow a live pigeon.

Coo.

Moving Pictures for me and it's not even close. Look, Hemispheres is a great prog record, but Moving Pictures is the pinnacle and Rush at the top of their game in every area. The only reason a lot of people under -rate it after all these years is that it has been played to death both on radio and on the concert stage. If most people could go back and hear it for the first time again they would be doing cartwheels.

That's not completely accurate ... I saw them the day John Bonham died - Sept 25th 1980 - and they played Tom Sawyer ( obviously, pre release )

I didn't like it then ....

You are just being a contrarian!

lol

No !!!

I like Moving Pictures, but I honestly do not see it as a "masterpiece" .. And Tom Sawyer is a song I always skip - I just do not like the song ... Sort of like New World Man - it just strikes me as corny .. and the music itself does nothing for me - it does not jump out and move me .. it's too damn stiff

Well...now I have Plaster Caster going through my head.