Wireless Recommendations

Lorraine

Comcast supplied the router we have and they replaced it when it had issues.

Did you have to rent it from them?

Yes, Comcast rents them so you're better off buying one.

The big differences are the wireless range and the number of Ethernet ports. How many devices will you be connecting to the Internet? If it's just one desktop computer then go for the cheaper one. Just make sure it's DOCSIS 3.0.

Oh, buy the modem/router before the install technician comes and he will configure it for you. If you're not going to be using wifi make sure he disables it.

I bought a TP-Link docsis 3.0 cable modem this morning. Looking at the prices on the internet, it looks like I got a good deal.

My husband says we don't need a router because we only have one computer. Is this true? Can this modem be hooked up without a router?

• Like 1

I bought a TP-Link docsis 3.0 cable modem this morning. Looking at the prices on the internet, it looks like I got a good deal.

My husband says we don't need a router because we only have one computer. Is this true? Can this modem be hooked up without a router?

He is correct. I'm assuming your modem has an ethernet port on the back (looks like a phone jack, just slightly wider)? If so, the one jack is all you need and you are good.

Comcast has a real scam going with the way they lease modems. They charge about $10/month while you can purchase one for $60-150.

• Like 1

He is correct. I'm assuming your modem has an ethernet port on the back (looks like a phone jack, just slightly wider)? If so, the one jack is all you need and you are good.

Comcast has a real scam going with the way they lease modems. They charge about $10/month while you can purchase one for $60-150.

Thanks. Yes, it has an ethernet port and cable with it. The modem was on sale for $54.99.

• Like 1

I called them to set up installation. They will be here next week.

My head is swimming. i was charged an extra $100 because I wouldn't tell them my social security number. Allegedly, I'll get the money back after a year.

They are shysters. They have so many hidden fees and costs. It's costing us a small fortunate to do this.

Edited by Lorraine

My head is swimming. i was charged an extra $100 because I wouldn't tell them my social security number. Allegedly, I'll get the money back after a year.

They are shysters. They have so many hidden fees and costs. It's costing us a small fortunate to do this.

dayam that's really unreasonable. I would have given them a fake SSN.

Your modem should be easypeezy for the cable dude to install. The wireless router is was causes the most grief. The cable modem is a pretty dumb, low maintenance box.

The SSN is for a credit check in order to waive the deposit fee (ranges from $100-$200) in case you don't pay.

The SSN is for a credit check in order to waive the deposit fee (ranges from $100-$200) in case you don't pay.

So he said.

I paid the $100 gladly rather than give out my ssn. He says I will get it back after a year. It's a small price to pay. I'm tired of everyone wanting my ssn.

• Like 1

Now I got the confirmation email from them with all the charges and the bill is double what it should be because they charged me twice for everything. :banghead: :facepalm:

Is this place for real? How do they stay in business????

Now I got the confirmation email from them with all the charges and the bill is double what it should be because they charged me twice for everything. :banghead: :facepalm:

Oh, are you kidding? That is awful! In our town, it is the hospital that does that. I am serious, It has happened to me twice. I hope you get a nice customer service rep to correct it all!

• Like 1

Oh, are you kidding? That is awful! In our town, it is the hospital that does that. I am serious, It has happened to me twice. I hope you get a nice customer service rep to correct it all!

Wow no kidding. Btw everyone asks for your SSN nowadays. I know we were always warned not to give it out years ago but now you can't get anything done without it. I guess it's not as risky anymore or something.