The Steven Wilson Thread

I haven't been able to find one of these here so I thought I may as well start one.

We can dedicate this thread to the work of Steven Wilson which also includes Porcupine Tree, Storm Corrosion, Blackfield and his other projects :)

I've been listening to this a lot over the past few days

• Like 4

I notice that Counterparts appears on SW's new playlist. Does this indicate that some Rush re-mixes might be in the pipeline?

I haven't been able to find one of these here so I thought I may as well start one.

We can dedicate this thread to the work of Steven Wilson which also includes Porcupine Tree, Storm Corrosion, Blackfield and his other projects :)

http://youtu.be/an37Cj2uifQ

Normal! Nil Recurring is my favorite EP on Porcupine Tree.

Technically and lyrically.

Steven is excellent. Yesterday, I was listening Up The Downstair. :)

• Like 1

I notice that Counterparts appears on SW's new playlist. Does this indicate that some Rush re-mixes might be in the pipeline?

I remember Geddy saying somewhere that he would like Steven to remix some of their albums so let's hope so. Although it sounds like it'll be a while if he is because isn't Steven working on a new album?

• Like 1

I remember Geddy saying somewhere that he would like Steven to remix some of their albums so let's hope so. Although it sounds like it'll be a while if he is because isn't Steven working on a new album?

He is about to go on tour again and has said he is working on a new album, but as he always seems to be working on several things simultaneously - who knows?
  • Like 2

That song is absolutely amazing through headphones!

• Like 3

That song is absolutely amazing through headphones!

It is. As the whole album, it has a sensitive atmosphere. Sensitive here I relate the word with the five senses. Very dreamy too.

Steven usually mixes 2-3 albums a year even after writing an album and touring

Hi peeps, what's a good Steven Wilson related album to start with if I am completely unfamiliar with any of his projects?

Porcupine Tree - In Absentia is usually a good starting point. Fear of a Blank Planet too.

As for his solo career and stuff I now you like,

Seven Wilson - iNSURGENTES

• Like 3

Hi peeps, what's a good Steven Wilson related album to start with if I am completely unfamiliar with any of his projects?

In addition to those already named, which are excellent recommendations BTW, you probably want to listen to The Raven That Refused To Sing and Hand. Cannot. Erase.

• Like 4

In addition to those already named, which are excellent recommendations BTW, you probably want to listen to The Raven That Refused To Sing and Hand. Cannot. Erase.

Raven is amazing. One of the best releases of this decade. Maybe even the best. Regardless I wouldn't get i to that right away. Maybe work your way up to it, In Absentia onward. Completely rewarding release imo.

• Like 2

Raven is amazing. One of the best releases of this decade. Maybe even the best. Regardless I wouldn't get i to that right away. Maybe work your way up to it, In Absentia onward. Completely rewarding release imo.

Add Porcupine Tree: Signify, Up The Downstair and Deadwing. :)

• Like 3

Sky Moves Sideways. Voyage 34.

• Like 2

Sky Moves Sideways. Voyage 34.

The Sky Moves Sideways is a masterpiece. :notworthy:

• Like 1

It depends, if you like metal or progressive metal, start with Porcupine Tree's In Absentia, Deadwing and/or Fear of a Blank Planet. Psychedelic, Pink Floyd - influenced stuff then try PT's Up The Downstair, The Sky Moves Sideways, Voyage 34 or Signify. If ambient is your thing, try his Bass Communion project. More melodic, shorter songs - go with Blackfield's first 2 albums or PT's Stupid Dream. Art Rock/pop - go with No-Man. Shoegaze - solo album Insurgentes. Prog - solo albums The Raven that Refused to Sing and Hand.Cannot.Erase.

He has a huge catalogue of material covering a wide range of genres (often within the same album or even the same song), but beware, if you get bitten by the Wilson bug it can be a very time consuming (and expensive) affair.

• Like 4

It depends, if you like metal or progressive metal, start with Porcupine Tree's In Absentia, Deadwing and/or Fear of a Blank Planet. Psychedelic, Pink Floyd - influenced stuff then try PT's Up The Downstair, The Sky Moves Sideways, Voyage 34 or Signify. If ambient is your thing, try his Bass Communion project. More melodic, shorter songs - go with Blackfield's first 2 albums or PT's Stupid Dream. Art Rock/pop - go with No-Man. Shoegaze - solo album Insurgentes. Prog - solo albums The Raven that Refused to Sing and Hand.Cannot.Erase.

He has a huge catalogue of material covering a wide range of genres (often within the same album or even the same song), but beware, if you get bitten by the Wilson bug it can be a very time consuming (and expensive) affair.

I can confirm this...

• Like 2

Hand, Cannot. Erase and The Raven that Refused to Sing are probably the best to start with from his solo work. 41/2 would be a pretty good choice as well. From Porcupine Tree the album that got me into them was In Absentia. They're probably his most well known bands/project so I'd recommend starting with them :)

• Like 1

Yep.

"River glass, cycle past, overcast

I saw it all in the blackfield

Copper sky, shadows rise, bridge of sighs

We had all in the blackfield

Skin tracks, face facts, fade to black

In the blackfield"

Blackfield Project. Lyrics are in Porcupine Tree's style, yet darker and more melancholic. They're related with Steven's own poetry.

Very melodic sound. Blackfield, End of The World, My Gift of Silence and DNA are worth listening.

Edited by rhyv
  • Like 2