Grace Under Pressure born April 12th 1984

robertrobyn

Great album from the band, when they seemed to be in a constant state of evolution. I really enjoy Grace Under Pressure. I should put it on later today!
  • Like 2

It came into our record stores on Tuesday, April 17th 1984. I bought it the following Saturday, April 21st. Overcast, very raw day and was Easter weekend too I think. The weather of that day certainly went well with the cold, drafty sound of the album.
  • Like 1

Yes, but when was it written, recorded, shrink-wrapped, given to radio stations? Those are the only dates that matter, dontcha' know? :)
  • Like 2

I wasn't listening to radio then. I mean, there was MTV, so radio was past tense. Distant Early Warning video came out maybe a month later. Body Electric came out July 1984 on MTV. And Red Sector A live video came out around November 1984.

One of my favorites. I wasn't quite ready for what I heard the first time I played it, but it didn't take long to realize just how genius the 3 of them had to be to create music that was so complex.
  • Like 2

happy birthday to one of my favorite records of all time

I remember this album disappointing me. I was unprepared for The Synth Era. To this day I find the keyboard parts of the album the most jarring. Unlike the seamless pleasure of HYF.

• Like 2

Didn't like it much when it was released. Seemed too blah and "new wavey". It's grown on me since. I like almost all of it now with the exception of Red Sector A which I still skip when it comes up in the rotation.
  • Like 1

Grace Under Pressure, along with Signals, was one of the first Rush albums I loved and clicked with when I started my discography marathon those few months ago. I love Geddy's voice in this. I also love the themes, and the art related to it... especially the egg in the C-clamp.

I'll have to listen to it later today. I didn't know it was an April release. It feels oddly fitting!

• Like 2

My number 1 RUSH album of all time. My first RUSH album purchase and first concert tour that I saw then became REALLY hooked as a fan. Short time later they became my #1 band and they've been so ever since, while being lucky enough to have seen them 50 times live. Love the album in it's entirety with its dark theme throughout.

Peace

Grace Under Pressure has always been one of my favourites and it gets better as I get older.

I could see it becoming my number one. The songs are that precious. Of the eighties, third to MP and HYF. Overall, I'd rank it at number 5 or 6.

It was a poorly received album by me. I viewed it as proof that Rush had lost their direction (Signals was the first inkling of that). It's grown on me some since then, but I can't enjoy anything after MP they way I enjoy stuff up to and including MP.

I took a lot of effort for me to grow to love this album. It is probably my favorite of the synth era albums, but I don't count Signals with that group.
  • Like 3

I took a lot of effort for me to grow to love this album...but I don't count Signals with that group.

Me either I consider Signals the end of The Classic Era.

• Like 2

GUP is the album that sold me to Rush.I already had Hemispheres,Moving Picture and Signals all of which i loved so when this hit the shelves I immediately grabbed it.I was immediately taken with Alex's guitar,sharp and angular, spatial,glorious solos that seemed to be well thought out.I was a big Eddie van Halen fan at the time but this album changed me away from all that flash playing(well a little bit).Ged's singing is brilliant and his voice is getting lower.I was blown away by the bass line on Enemy Within.Although Neil was getting into the electric drums it wasn't a problem for me,it sounded great.I think I know why I like this album so much is because i was accepting of the 'New Wave 'of music that was happening at the time as was Rush.Of course I liked my Heavy Metal and Hard Rock but I was also listening to Ultravox and the Police and their like.I can see why some people cut the band off after MP,many think they went soft and poppy,but that's their loss.GUP was the start of greater things for me.P.S.I have never liked DEW,I just start at After image.

It was a poorly received album by me. I viewed it as proof that Rush had lost their direction (Signals was the first inkling of that). It's grown on me some since then, but I can't enjoy anything after MP they way I enjoy stuff up to and including MP.

It was the first album I bought by them on the day of release that I didn't love immediately. I think it's the first album where the synths uniformly overwhelmed the songs. Over time I grew to like it. I still don't love it though.