Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

willowroolz

I am not a Star Wars fan. I like most of the movies. They're entertaining. I just don't get the rabid fandom. With that said, I thought Rogue One was okay. Nothing new or groundbreaking. Typical plot and cliched scenes (think Galaxy Quest). [6/10]

My kids and I chuckled at a lot of the cliche'd dramatic scenes. But visually, it's stunning. Great job recreating the Star Wars universe!

I am not a Star Wars fan. I like most of the movies. They're entertaining. I just don't get the rabid fandom. With that said, I thought Rogue One was okay. Nothing new or groundbreaking. Typical plot and cliched scenes (think Galaxy Quest). [6/10]

My kids and I chuckled at a lot of the cliche'd dramatic scenes. But visually, it's stunning. Great job recreating the Star Wars universe!

Yeah, it looked good. The Peter Cushing CGI was impressive.

I forgot to mention I think the Force is stupid. I am not with the Force, the Force is not with me. :eyeroll:

I forgot to mention I think the Force is stupid. I am not with the Force, the Force is not with me. :eyeroll:

A thousand times more stupid is midichlorians.

• Like 4

Darth Vader must be full of them.

Darth Vader must be full of them.

He is! Just look at little Anakin in Phantom Menace! There is NO stupider...though I guess Jar Jar gives him a good run for his money

Anyone that has seen it, where would it rank among the rest of the Star Wars flicks? I'm assuming it's not touching Empire and is way better than Phantom Menace. But other than that?

From best to worst:

Rogue One

My top 2 and bottom 2 are locked, and I could mix the other 4 up on any given day.

Ah ok. Since you're ranking, I might as well too. The most important two and least important two are the same...

(Haven't seen Rogue yet)

Empire

New Hope

Jedi

Force Awakens

Revenge

Clone

Phantom

Have t seen rogue either. Apparently I rate III higher than most.

V, IV, III, VI, VII, I, II for me. I find clones to be a snooze fest and VII too derivative of original.

Saw Rogue One tonight. Wow. For those of you that saw the original in 1977/78 this movie gives you that feeling. They really recreated the look and feel of the original. Most importantly, they recreated the sense of awe that only a huge story can bring. It's fast paced and you get multiple cool locations. I would have to place it just behind empire and the original, it's that good.

Edited to add: I feel very vindicated in my disappointment and criticism of the force awakens. This is so much better than that movie.

Edited by Ancient Ways

OK I saw it this evening and I have a few thoughts. I thought the CGI was pretty good up until the very end and then it was a little too obvious. Reminded me of Shrek. :P The scene with the battle cruisers crashing was pretty awesome. It was nice to see Donnie Yen in the movie. I've always loved his martial arts movies. Story was pretty predictable and it was kind of slow at times But overall I would put it way above The Force Awakens.
  • Like 1

OK I saw it this evening and I have a few thoughts. I thought the CGI was pretty good up until the very end and then it was a little too obvious. Reminded me of Shrek. :P The scene with the battle cruisers crashing was pretty awesome. It was nice to see Donnie Yen in the movie. I've always loved his martial arts movies. Story was pretty predictable and it was kind of slow at times But overall I would put it way above The Force Awakens.

I'm with you except for your comparison to 7.

Anyone that has seen it, where would it rank among the rest of the Star Wars flicks? I'm assuming it's not touching Empire and is way better than Phantom Menace. But other than that?

From best to worst:

Rogue One

My top 2 and bottom 2 are locked, and I could mix the other 4 up on any given day.

Ah ok. Since you're ranking, I might as well too.

You asked us to!

So like a Beatles album pre-Sgt Pepper? Got it.

Nope, not at all.

From best to worst:

Rogue One

Ah ok. Since you're ranking, I might as well too.

You asked us to!

I forgot! :LOL:

• Like 1

Nope, not at all.

Sorry. I thought you meant what you wrote. My mistake.

Nope, not at all.

I am sorry you are confused.

Nope, not at all.

I am sorry that you you think that pre-Sgt P Beatles was new, groundbreaking, not cliche and worthy of rabid fandom.

Nope, not at all.

I am sorry that you you think that pre-Sgt P Beatles was new, groundbreaking, not cliche and worthy of rabid fandom.

Honestly, I don't understand how you can think pre-Sgt. Pepper's wasn't groundbreaking.

Star Wars did much less with its influences than the Beatles did with theirs.

Silly argument and comparison. I am sorry I took the bait.

• Like 1

Nope, not at all.

Honestly, I don't understand how you can think pre-Sgt. Pepper's wasn't groundbreaking.

You just defined rabid fandom.

The nearest cinema to me not only has 3D but also 4D for Rogue One. 4D would include seats that are vibrating, shaking, have leg tickling, mist, etc. Is this usual where you guys are? This seems more like a theme park attraction but the theater by me is just a regular cinema, albeit a good one.

Anyone going into this movie expecting The Godfather or Citizen Kane is going to be sorely disappointed. There are certain parameters within which this movie has to fit to tell this story, it has to tie into specific points of other films so there is a limitation on what it can be. This is the ultimate mcguffin movie and we know beforehand what it is, who has it and what's going to happen with it later.

The story is well told I think in that I didn't feel the slow parts because in such an action packed movie there are necessary places to catch your breath before the next rush of fighting.

I don't recall a film where EVERY hero/star dies. They ALL f***ing died which I thought was very rough territory for a Star Wars movie, that part at the very least cannot be considered cliché.

Also, the more I think about it the more I dearly want...no...NEED an entire movie based on Vader chopping his way through the rebel alliance. Those few precious minutes were insanely great and I was grinning like the school kid who originally saw Star Wars in 1977.

It's meant to be entertaining, not cinemá veritè...relax and enjoy it for the popcorn flick that it is. And to me it was amazingly entertaining.

"Be careful not to choke on your aspirations"

Can I nit pick some elements? Yes. Was much of the facial CGI disappointing? Yes.

Yet had the film been total crap, which it wasn't. The last three minutes were sooooo worth it. Bad Ass Vader was back!

I hear it ranks high in terms of action (it's been referred to as a "war movie") and low in terms of fun ("slow paced" and "dark").

I think I'd be ok with that. I'm planning on seeing it anyway but it's good to know the experiences have mainly been positive

Empire

Star Wars

Return of the Jedi

Rogue One

Force Awakens

It may be better than Jedi...

Edited by JohnRogers
  • Like 2

I hear it ranks high in terms of action (it's been referred to as a "war movie") and low in terms of fun ("slow paced" and "dark").

I think I'd be ok with that. I'm planning on seeing it anyway but it's good to know the experiences have mainly been positive

Empire

Star Wars

Return of the Jedi

Rogue One

Force Awakens

It may be better than Jedi...

Cool. Being better than Force Awakens would be good enough for me. I'll check it out tomorrow night