262 replies to this topic

#41 Del_Duio

Del_Duio

The Professor

• Members
  • 4322 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Bass, Drums, some guitar but I suck

--

Try my new retro action RPG game "Just a Cleric" on Steam! http://store.steampowered.com/app/467330/

Posted 12 April 2016 - 10:40 AM

It has AT-ATs
It looks like the seventies

I'm in!

Sponsored Post

#42 Del_Duio

Del_Duio

The Professor

• Members
  • 4322 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Bass, Drums, some guitar but I suck

--

Try my new retro action RPG game "Just a Cleric" on Steam! http://store.steampowered.com/app/467330/

Posted 12 April 2016 - 10:42 AM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 07 April 2016 - 09:09 AM, said:

Anyway, apparently they've narrowed down the Han actors for the prequel to: Alden Ehrenreich, Jack Reynor, and Taron Egerton. Who? Who? And who?

People once said the same thing about Harrison Ford, Mark Hamil, and Carrie Fisher you know :D

#43 workingcinderellaman

workingcinderellaman

The Red Barchetta

• Members *
  • 29230 posts
  • Interests:Bikes (Motorcycles), Skiing, Airplanes, Ted Nugent

Posted 12 April 2016 - 10:56 AM

View PostDel_Duio, on 12 April 2016 - 10:42 AM, said:

Anyway, apparently they've narrowed down the Han actors for the prequel to: Alden Ehrenreich, Jack Reynor, and Taron Egerton. Who? Who? And who?

People once said the same thing about Harrison Ford, Mark Hamil, and Carrie Fisher you know :D
A good "who" actor could be a lot better than an A-lister. The character is already well established so it's sometimes hard to bring in an actor who may already be type-cast. I would try to find an relatively unknown actor to play Han.

#44 willowroolz

willowroolz

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1291 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 02:55 PM

Holy crap, that was GOOD!  A prequel worthy of the name, finally.

#45 LedRush

LedRush

The Counterparts Remain The Same

• Members *
  • 24013 posts
  • Interests:Family, guitar, classic video games, Ted Nugent, non-fiction books

Posted 16 December 2016 - 03:26 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 07 April 2016 - 06:21 PM, said:

View PostDr. Sheldon Cooper, on 07 April 2016 - 02:54 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 07 April 2016 - 11:31 AM, said:

View PostDr. Sheldon Cooper, on 07 April 2016 - 11:16 AM, said:

View Postworkingcinderellaman, on 07 April 2016 - 08:54 AM, said:

I would really like to see a movie about Han Solo's past. It could be called the Kessel Run.
I can't imagine it as a workable title since it's so specific that only the diehards would know what it means. For example, I knew it was a reference to the Falcon's speed but not the specifics.

I'd like to see how they explain how Han & Chewie hooked up. And i wonder if they'll show the circumstances in which Han got Falcon from Lando.

Only the die hards know what it means?

It's a Star Wars movie. We are all die hards!

I'm living proof that we're not all die hards. I really liked the original & Empire, liked Return of the Jedi & Force Awakens, disliked Clones & Sith, and despised Phantom Menace. I've seen all the originals multiple times but I can't name more than a dozen characters outside of the main guys. I couldn't tell you anything about the Kessel Run besides it involves the Falcon going fast and it was Han who did it. I'd say I'm fairly typical. And I can't say that that's "die hard". What's hard to understand about that?

What's hard to understand about the fact that you will totally want to see this movie if it is done well?
That's not my point.
My only point is : nobody outside of die-hards will know what the Kessel Run is AND not everyone who likes Star Wars is a die hard. You probably didn't catch that because you're still fixated on Bowl's mum.

But you're not a die hard and know about the Kessel Run.  I don't get it.

#46 LedRush

LedRush

The Counterparts Remain The Same

• Members *
  • 24013 posts
  • Interests:Family, guitar, classic video games, Ted Nugent, non-fiction books

Posted 16 December 2016 - 03:33 PM

View Postwillowroolz, on 16 December 2016 - 02:55 PM, said:

I'm still figuring out how I feel about this movie.  It seemed much more of a star wars movie than the prequels in feel and tone, but it also felt too serious and joyless to be a Star Wars movie.  It feels more like a real prequel than the prequels did, but it was probably less necessary.  It definitely fits the universe and the narrative better than the prequels, but it doesn't expose much that is new or important.

I definitely liked the movie, but I'll watch it again before really deciding on it.

#47 Presto-digitation

Presto-digitation

Creative Writing 101

• Members
  • 10218 posts
  • Interests:Music, movies, my family....my goofy Shih Tzu.

Posted 16 December 2016 - 05:45 PM

They never explained what the Kessel run was in the first film....when no one knew anything about that film.  What's the diff?

#48 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 26988 posts
  • Interests:Mind Control

Posted 16 December 2016 - 07:01 PM

View PostLedRush, on 16 December 2016 - 03:26 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 07 April 2016 - 06:21 PM, said:

View PostDr. Sheldon Cooper, on 07 April 2016 - 02:54 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 07 April 2016 - 11:31 AM, said:

View PostDr. Sheldon Cooper, on 07 April 2016 - 11:16 AM, said:

View Postworkingcinderellaman, on 07 April 2016 - 08:54 AM, said:

I would really like to see a movie about Han Solo's past. It could be called the Kessel Run.
I can't imagine it as a workable title since it's so specific that only the diehards would know what it means. For example, I knew it was a reference to the Falcon's speed but not the specifics.

I'd like to see how they explain how Han & Chewie hooked up. And i wonder if they'll show the circumstances in which Han got Falcon from Lando.

Only the die hards know what it means?

It's a Star Wars movie. We are all die hards!

I'm living proof that we're not all die hards. I really liked the original & Empire, liked Return of the Jedi & Force Awakens, disliked Clones & Sith, and despised Phantom Menace. I've seen all the originals multiple times but I can't name more than a dozen characters outside of the main guys. I couldn't tell you anything about the Kessel Run besides it involves the Falcon going fast and it was Han who did it. I'd say I'm fairly typical. And I can't say that that's "die hard". What's hard to understand about that?

What's hard to understand about the fact that you will totally want to see this movie if it is done well?
That's not my point.
My only point is : nobody outside of die-hards will know what the Kessel Run is AND not everyone who likes Star Wars is a die hard. You probably didn't catch that because you're still fixated on Bowl's mum.

But you're not a die hard and know about the Kessel Run.  I don't get it.
Who knows what I was talking about? That was months ago. I don't even know what I was talking or meant an hour ago. :hail:

#49 invisible airwave

invisible airwave

Natural Science Theater 3000

• Members
  • 15211 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 01:09 AM

Bought my ticket a few weeks ago and I'm seeing it tomorrow at my local Laemmle art house theater.  Nice to see it getting decent reviews.  Felicity ain't too bad too look at either. :wub:

#50 willowroolz

willowroolz

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1291 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 06:14 AM

View PostLedRush, on 16 December 2016 - 03:33 PM, said:

View Postwillowroolz, on 16 December 2016 - 02:55 PM, said:

I'm still figuring out how I feel about this movie.  It seemed much more of a star wars movie than the prequels in feel and tone, but it also felt too serious and joyless to be a Star Wars movie.  It feels more like a real prequel than the prequels did, but it was probably less necessary.  It definitely fits the universe and the narrative better than the prequels, but it doesn't expose much that is new or important.

I kind of agree about it being too serious and joyless, but in the end I actually liked that it was so dark and bleak.  The whole thing felt doom-laden, which I thought was appropriate to the story.

Spoiler

#51 Mr. Not

Mr. Not

Spaceman Spiff

• Members *
  • 93075 posts
  • Interests:Not of interest

Posted 17 December 2016 - 06:57 AM

I always respect James Rolfe's (the guy on the right hand side) views.

#52 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 47934 posts
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 17 December 2016 - 03:47 PM

My buddy is already going a second time.  He says this one's a three-timer.

#53 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 26988 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 08:30 PM

Anyone that has seen it, where would it rank among the rest of the Star Wars flicks? I'm assuming it's not touching Empire and is way better than Phantom Menace. But other than that?

#54 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 47934 posts
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 17 December 2016 - 08:41 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 17 December 2016 - 08:30 PM, said:

Anyone that has seen it, where would it rank among the rest of the Star Wars flicks? I'm assuming it's not touching Empire and is way better than Phantom Menace. But other than that?
I hear it ranks high in terms of action (it's been referred to as a "war movie") and low in terms of fun ("slow paced" and "dark").

#55 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 26988 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 08:46 PM

View Postgoose, on 17 December 2016 - 08:41 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 17 December 2016 - 08:30 PM, said:

I hear it ranks high in terms of action (it's been referred to as a "war movie") and low in terms of fun ("slow paced" and "dark").
I think I'd be ok with that. I'm planning on seeing it anyway but it's good to know the experiences have mainly been positive

#56 Ancient Ways

Ancient Ways

That's Itâ„¢ Sig

• Members
  • 15243 posts
  • Interests:Hanging out with my kids, riding my bike, playing guitar.

Posted 17 December 2016 - 08:54 PM

A friend described the movie to me as slow in parts but the last 30 minutes were fantastic and "that girl" (felicity jones) is hot.

#57 Presto-digitation

Presto-digitation

Creative Writing 101

• Members
  • 10218 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 10:06 PM

It reminds me a bit of a combination of elements of Star Wars and Return Of The Jedi.  There is a lot of exposition and set up early on, but that's as expected since we know almost none of the protagonists.  Action sequences are very good and a really fantastic space battle.  

Vader scenes are solid and his last bit is really cool.  

Very dour.  Not a footloose and fancy free affair.  You pretty much know what happens to these people, so the humor is in fits and starts but really the undercurrent is serious as hell.

Not a "fun" movie in the usual Star Wars way.  More "Wars" and much less gee whiz.

Edited by Presto-digitation, 17 December 2016 - 10:08 PM.

#58 Presto-digitation

Presto-digitation

Creative Writing 101

• Members
  • 10218 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 10:09 PM

Lots of bits from the trailers NOT in the film or changed too.

#59 Presto-digitation

Presto-digitation

Creative Writing 101

• Members
  • 10218 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 10:12 PM

This film does a great job of tying together the prequels and original trilogy, including some actors from Eps 1-3 reprising their roles.

#60 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 20578 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 18 December 2016 - 02:55 AM

The main complaint I'm hearing about this movie is the soundtrack. Apparently a lot of people think it's really lacking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users