Is RUSH Still Your #1 Rock Band?

g under p

No. They never have been. Close, but no cigar!

But top ten, often give, without a doubt.

However, Rush are one of the very few artists that, if the mood takes me, there is Rush, and then their is no one else.

At all.

So yes, when I am in a Rush mood they are untouchable, sometimes for weeks.

Right now my untouchable top four is:

1. Lacuna Coil

=. Nightwish

=. Bruce Springsteen

4. Within Temptation

Then:

5. Alter Bridge

6. Yes

7. Rush

8. The Beatles

9. The Doors

10. The Smiths

Out of that ten, 7 are permanent. Aside from the top four, the other three are Alter Bridge, Rush and The Doors.

Edited by Segue Myles

Yes.

Been that way for 20 years and I don't see that changing. The only other bands I listen to that have ever been a threat to knock them out of that spot are Iron Maiden and Alice Cooper. But Rush always remains number one.

No, haven't been since post Signals/GUP, but with my discovery VT and on they are up there again. Might be my favorite of the moment, challenged only by Wire and The Church (as I type my archaic trunk six CD changer has four Rush CDs -- ATWAS, ESL, VT and S&A; the other two, if you'd like to know, are The Smith's Louder Than Bombs and The Church's Further Deeper).

But as opposed to "favorite" I'll follow ReRushed's "band that's meant the most to me" over the course of my life idea. Rush is definitely up there. Would have been #1 through MP for sure. I'd put them at #3 now, after The Beatles and Wire (tied for #1), just slightly ahead of Led Zeppelin and Radiohead.

• Like 1

Yes. They always have and probably always will be my favourite. I don't listen to them as much as i used to but i always seem to come back to them and no matter how many times I've heard the album I'm playing they never fail to astonish me.
  • Like 1

Yes. They always have and probably always will be my favourite. I don't listen to them as much as i used to but i always seem to come back to them and no matter how many times I've heard the album I'm playing they never fail to astonish me.

Rush and Yes are two bands that improve every time I come back to them, I swear if I ever get sick of an album, I return to it weeks later and it's even better than I remembered!

Rush are for life. Maybe not for every day, but definitely for the long haul!

• Like 4

Rush and Yes are two bands that improve every time I come back to them, I swear if I ever get sick of an album, I return to it weeks later and it's even better than I remembered!

I've done this with 2112 this past few days and I did not remember Geddy's voice sounding so good the last time i listened to it!

• Like 2

I've done this with 2112 this past few days and I did not remember Geddy's voice sounding so good the last time i listened to it!

The three albums that most improve with every spin are Caress Of Steel, Fly By Night and Hemispheres. A Farewell To King is also steadily improving but I always loved that one.

My enthusiasm for seventies Rush is increasing more and more. For some reason, the debut never really won me over and I feel hesitant to replay 2112, mostly due to the fact I swear I am burnt out on it!

I think it's time for a major Rush marathon. I have truly been enjoying their seventies work recently more than I ever have, and believe me when I say that is saying something!

Seventies Rush is just heavenly. I had grown to adore the eighties era, but my first taste of Rush was the era from MP, slowly back to the debut.

Alex is just phenomenal on those records.

I know that Kansas have dropped for me but Rush and Yes dominate my love for the seventies, alongside Springsteen!

Like others have said, Rush is my favourite band and will continue to be until someone better comes around. And I don't foresee that happening at all :D

No, I don't listen to them everyday. Sometimes I go weeks or maybe even months without listening to them. That doesn't mean they're not my faves, nor does their retirement change anything. And there are other bands who come and go as my "favourite of the moment" but that does not displace Rush as my favourite band.

:rush:

Edited by x1yyz
  • Like 4

Like others have said, Rush is my favourite band and will continue to be until someone better comes around. And I don't foresee that happening at all :D

No, I don't listen to them everyday. Sometimes I go weeks or maybe even months without listening to them. That doesn't mean their not my faves, nor does their retirement change anything. And there are other bands who come and go as my "favourite of the moment" but that does not displace Rush as my favourite band.

:rush:

This is me and Lacuna Coil.

I have favourite bands "of the moment", but Lacuna Coil are like my family. Always been there and always will be

The three albums that most improve with every spin are Caress Of Steel, Fly By Night and Hemispheres. A Farewell To King is also steadily improving but I always loved that one.

My enthusiasm for seventies Rush is increasing more and more. For some reason, the debut never really won me over and I feel hesitant to replay 2112, mostly due to the fact I swear I am burnt out on it!

I think it's time for a major Rush marathon. I have truly been enjoying their seventies work recently more than I ever have, and believe me when I say that is saying something!

Seventies Rush is just heavenly. I had grown to adore the eighties era, but my first taste of Rush was the era from MP, slowly back to the debut.

I know that Kansas have dropped for me but Rush and Yes dominate my love for the seventies, alongside Springsteen!

Seventies Rush is some of the best Rush in my opinion. I've never been sure on how i feel about the debut though. Sometimes I'm into it other times I feel it's a bit boring.

I really need to buy Closer to the Edge. I've been meaning to for ages now but whenever i have the money to spend on it I forget and buy something else :sigh: I really love Fragile and 90125 (quite proud of the fact i can remember this albums name :LOL: )

Seventies Rush is some of the best Rush in my opinion. I've never been sure on how i feel about the debut though. Sometimes I'm into it other times I feel it's a bit boring.

I really need to buy Closer to the Edge. I've been meaning to for ages now but whenever i have the money to spend on it I forget and buy something else :sigh: I really love Fragile and 90125 (quite proud of the fact i can remember this albums name :LOL: )

:smash:

• Like 1

Yes, they are but I have many others that are keeping them company. I may go for periods where I don't even listen to them much but they are the band I have the strongest bond with.
  • Like 5

Every album from the debut through to Big Generator is good to great in my book.

I recommend these based on the two you have:

1. Close To The Edge

2. The Yes Album

3. Going For The One

4. Relayer

5. Big Generator

But seriously, they are all great. My favourite is Tales From Topographic Oceans, but I don't know if that is too much for you or not.

• Like 1

There is no ranking system. I listen to what the day feels/ mood/ moment.

My iPod has 12,000 songs on it, dozens of playlists.

Sometimes it's a Rush day, sometimes it's a Maiden day, sometimes it's a Robert Cray day.

I was lucky enough to see 80% of the touring bands in the 80s and 90s, seeing hundreds of shows I wanted to see live, concerts are a rarity now.

But their music lives on. If I HAD to make a Top 10, Rush is in my Top 3.

Now I am going to expand my mind and play some McCoy Tyner , the 'Quartet' album specifically on this very mellow jazzy Wednesday afternoon

I like your answer and I can relate/share the same sentiments. I'm 22 and consider myself quite young, but nowadays I tell people the short answer that I don't have a favorite band cause I've got 800+ albums on my iTunes plus 120+ more on my Spotify that I want to try out and listen to at some point. Some days I'm on a rock/metal mood, other days I'm in an ambient mood, other days it's just wacky all over the place music for me, etc.

Yes, Rush would be at the top of my list of bands that remain special to me and have the strongest bond with. I can go days, weeks, months without listening to them but can always come back and listen to them and still feel that interest and enthusiasm I had when I first was becoming a fan. It's just that for my own sake, I like to listen to different kinds of bands/genres just to keep my ears fresh and expand/cultivate my music palette.

• Like 1

There are only a handful of bands or artists that I can say I love, and Rush is absolutely one of them ..

I still get chills when I see pics like this, remembering back to the shots in Circus magazine, the pics inside All The World's A Stage and the posters I had of them, listening at full volume ..

The first time I saw them, it was more like an experience, and a coming of age event that was literally life altering ..

The top spot for me will always go to the four clowns in the makeup, but Rush, and what they mean to me, will always be right there next, opening as the did back in the day

http://missionphoto.smugmug.com/Other/RUSH-1978/i-XxjLSJG/0/S/DJM140-S.jpg

• Like 5

How does them retiring affect my enjoyment of their music?

They're always my #1 band but I often get into other bands and might call them my favourite but I always come back to Rush.. how could I not??

• Like 2

The top spot for me will always go to the four clowns in the makeup

That must've been hard to admit.. so sorry!

Jus teasin lol. They were my #1 band once but Kiss is fun to pick on ;)

• Like 1