Is RUSH Still Your #1 Rock Band?

g under p

A friend asked me the other day who is my top Band? I for the very first time hesitated in giving my answer but after some thought gave the usual answer RUSH. My hesitation came from the thought that this band for all I know will probably never tour together again. We will be lucky if they ever produce another studio album together if they never do any of the latter......

Will you fans STILL consider RUSH to be your #1 band?

Peace

I consider 2 bands to be my favorites: I'll give you 3 guesses as to which 2 :D

Having said that, I'm not always in the mood for them. I go on hot and cold streaks with all music. But even on a cold streak I don't like them less, I'm just not listening to them as often. There is a world of other music out there, after all.

• Like 6

I think Rush will always be my favorite band. Even through periods where I didn't listen to them much I would still consider them at the top. At this point in time there's so much history with them and they've been such a big part of my life for so long I don't think much of anything could knock them off of the top tier.
  • Like 10

RUSH all day, everyday! Except the ten hours a day my cigar and jazz lounge is open...then it's Thelonious Monk or Buddy Rich cats like that.
  • Like 1

Rush has never been my #1 band, so the short answer is no. (The Beatles occupy that spot btw)

The long answer is: Rush will always be #2. Like LedRush said, I too go through phases of listening or not listening to them. Same with all the bands I like. And like LedRush said, I don't like them less just because I am not listening to them on any given day. I rotate bands. There is just too much out there to listen to. But Rush certainly turns up on my playlist far more than a lot of bands.

• Like 3

Without getting overly sappy, I think Rush goes beyond just the music because their fanbase identifies with them so deeply. They're like 'Nerd Heroes' to many of us.
  • Like 5

Rush has been my #1 since 1983. I don't see that ever changing. Especially as I get older I find myself not liking/understanding the current music scene. And unfortunately rock seems to be fading in popularity.

But my interests are relatively diverse, top 10 musicians/groups (not necessarily rock)

1. Rush (definitely #1)

#2 through #10 are in no particular order.

2. Pink Floyd (+Waters & Gilmour solo efforts)

3. U2

4. REM

5. Buddy Guy

6. Jimmy Buffett

7. Iron Maiden

8. Billy Joel

9. Porcupine Tree

10. Foo Fighters

• Like 5

Oh sure, Rush always has been my favorite band and always will be. That won't change just because they retire. I may listen to other music, but the bulk of my playlist consists of Rush. The bulk of my cd collection is Rush. The bulk of my record collection was Rush. You get the idea. ;)
  • Like 4

Oh sure, Rush always has been my favorite band and always will be. That won't change just because they retire. I may listen to other music, but the bulk of my playlist consists of Rush. The bulk of my cd collection is Rush. The bulk of my record collection was Rush. You get the idea. ;)

Sounds like you may need an intervention. ;)

Rush has been my #1 since 1983. I don't see that ever changing. Especially as I get older I find myself not liking/understanding the current music scene. And unfortunately rock seems to be fading in popularity.

But my interests are relatively diverse, top 10 musicians/groups (not necessarily rock)

1. Rush (definitely #1)

3. U2

4. REM

5. Buddy Guy

6. Jimmy Buffett

7. Iron Maiden

8. Billy Joel

9. Porcupine Tree

10. Foo Fighters

That is quite a diverse list... Jimmy Buffett comes out of nowhere :)

Diversity is good. When there were actually record stores still around, I enjoyed the looks on the clerks faces when I took an oddball pile of albums up to the counter. "my, my you have interesting tastes". well thank you.

• Like 2

Sounds like you may need an intervention. ;)

C'mon...did you not read the line "I may listen to other music" ? I do. I have a vast extensive collection of music that I enjoy. Rush just occupies the pinnacle.

• Like 1

Yes, Rush is still my #1 band now. I can't say they'll always be, though. As crummy as today's music is, you never know…there may be someone better someday. And Billy Joel and Elton John are really growing on me.

1. Rush (definitely #1)

3. U2

4. REM

5. Buddy Guy

6. Jimmy Buffett

7. Iron Maiden

8. Billy Joel

9. Porcupine Tree

10. Foo Fighters

I have a lot of different tastes as well, although I would say my top faves are pretty much "classic rock". Beatles, Rush, U2, Yes, King's X, Foo Fighters, Rolling Stones, Steely Dan, Jimi Hendrix, The Police ... That would be my top group of favorite artists.

Probably, but I prefer listening to other bands, now.

Although I do look totally forward to my next Rush binge!

Oh man, did I ever go on a binge last year for a Thanksgiving road trip I took by myself from Palm Beach to Wilmington NC. I don't think anyone could of taken 12 hours of nothing but RUSH with one break from RHCP greatest hits. I started from the beginning to the CA and included live albums. Did the same on the return trip by myself....I never would've guessed in a million years which album turned out to be my most popular choice to give a repeat listen. Oh and it wasn't Grace Under Pressure.

I had time to listen to the interaction of the instruments on each album and how they'll meshed together so well. This band is such a fascinating band I gather that's why they're number 1 for now.

Depending on the time of day, my #1 favorite band is

Rush

Yes

Led Zeppelin

The Choir

The 77s

Asia

ELO

Larry Norman

Iron Maiden

U2

Edited by MusicHead
  • Like 2

Since Rush has been my favourite band since I first saw them as a starry eyed 14 year old in 1976, it is easy for me to say they still are - and always will be - my favourite band... by far.

Like Eagle said, "so much history" now... I know there are people who have seen a lot more shows than I have, but I've been to 28 Rush shows now and there isn't one other band that I've seen more than three times. Well, accept for Max Webster back in the 70s and early 80s... 10 or 12??????????

Cats in the bag,

Neighbours holler

This party's higher

Than the Eiffel Tower!

Alka Sezltre, Tang and a 50... it's all over,

You got a hang over...

• Like 1

There is no ranking system. I listen to what the day feels/ mood/ moment.

My iPod has 12,000 songs on it, dozens of playlists.

Sometimes it's a Rush day, sometimes it's a Maiden day, sometimes it's a Robert Cray day.

I was lucky enough to see 80% of the touring bands in the 80s and 90s, seeing hundreds of shows I wanted to see live, concerts are a rarity now.

But their music lives on. If I HAD to make a Top 10, Rush is in my Top 3.

Now I am going to expand my mind and play some McCoy Tyner , the 'Quartet' album specifically on this very mellow jazzy Wednesday afternoon

• Like 1

Rush is still my favorite. Being retired won't change that.

My top 10.

1. Rush

2. Queen

3. Pink Floyd

4. Led Zeppelin

5. The Beatles

6. The Who

7. Yes

8. Billy Joel

9. David Bowie

10. Guns N Roses

• Like 2