GnR summer stadium tour

custom55

I saw these guys at their height. It was an awesome show........but..............

Use You Illusion Tour.

Doors opened at 7PM

Soundgarden went on at 8pm, ended at 9pm

Guns and Roses STARTED at 10:45.

They played a 2.5 hour show and lights came back on at 1:15AM

f**k that shit. We have jobs, families and a life. I would not go see these guys if it were free a mile away.

• Like 1

Post a picture of him from the 80's.

09986fcc70040109c4ca844cc7519e7a.jpg

740bea6cd05fe21b97a6e7e20935f8ba.jpg

http://i2.wp.com/metalinjection.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/AxlRose-StillFat-2.jpg?resize=474%2C515

CXeDmuOWkAATb73.jpg

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

Saw them twice when they were in their "prime", once on the Appetite tour @ Manchester Apollo with Faster Pussycat as support & once at Castle Donington when those kids got crushed in the crowd.

Truth be told, they were the most over-hyped act I've ever seen. I've never understood how they achieved this mythical status in the RnR pantheon.

They weren't that good back then & they're absolute crap now.

Also, it's not just Axl, but Slash too. How the hell did that fudge-fingered fuckwit become a guitar God? Overrated hack.

If GnR announced a show in my front room, I go & spend a night down the pub.

Still, I hope the fans that do go have a great time.

• Like 4

Saw them twice when they were in their "prime", once on the Appetite tour @ Manchester Apollo with Faster Pussycat as support & once at Castle Donington when those kids got crushed in the crowd.

Truth be told, they were the most over-hyped act I've ever seen. I've never understood how they achieved this mythical status in the RnR pantheon.

Also, it's not just Axl, but Slash too. How the hell did that fudge-fingered fuckwit become a guitar God? Overrated hack.

I laughed and agreed.

• Like 1

I think the thing about GNR THEN was their timing, a bit of GRIT and Les Paul tonality in a new band in the throes of hair metal...and after so many of our 70s heroes had chosen to go power metal in order to survive or risk petering out. The only other alternative was the thrash scene. So in a way they were a bit like an 80s style throwback to 70s Aerosmith when a lot of folks were tired of (or never interested in) the Unskinny Bopness of the world. Just look at what the LA scene was offering when they came along. GNR seemed like the penicillin to that STD. Bands like Georgia Satellites and Black Crowes also touched that retro nerve, but GNR dished it with a bit more heaviness and nastiness. They were as much a product of when they occurred than that they occurred at all. Edited by Presto-digitation
  • Like 7

I love GnR, but Axl just can't sing anymore.

He can't? Too bad. I liked them back in the day.

I loved them too, but his voice is shot.

Then he probably shouldn't have sung that way earlier in his career.

I have a personal list of overrated Rock stars and Axl is on top.

His popularity baffles me.

Oh man I couldn't agree more.

One of my bros used to call him "The Spindly Maggot". Always liked that moniker and wished I had said it.

Show starts at 9pm, then start at 9 you arrogant pussy. "I'm not ready." f**k you. Be professional.

And I always thought that their live video/cover "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" was pretty damn annoying...well, just Axl with his spindly maggot voice, "Knock knock knockin' on Heaven's doooor heeeeey hey heeeeey ohhh yeaaaah...((then came the screech that millions seemed to love))"

• Like 1

I think the thing about GNR THEN was their timing, a bit of GRIT and Les Paul tonality in a new band in the throes of hair metal...and after so many of our 70s heroes had chosen to go power metal in order to survive or risk petering out. The only other alternative was the thrash scene. So in a way they were a bit like an 80s style throwback to 70s Aerosmith when a lot of folks were tired of (or never interested in) the Unskinny Bopness of the world. Just look at what the LA scene was offering when they came along. GNR seemed like the penicillin to that STD. Bands like Georgia Satellites and Black Crowes also touched that retro nerve, but GNR dished it with a bit more heaviness and nastiness. They were as much a product of when they occurred than that they occurred at all.

:goodone:

This sums it up perfectly.

Edited by J2112YYZ

I saw them open for Aerosmith on the Appetite tour. I saw them with Soundgarden on the Illusion tour. I loved them. I think Slash is up there with Iommi in terms of writing great riffs, and I enjoy all of his work with his Snakepit and his solo stuff.

But Chinese Democracy was an album full of Estranged rewrites, and not in a good way. In the overwrought and overproduced way. I'll pass on this, unless tickets almost literally fall into my lap. I don't see them selling out Gillette Stadium. I was a HUGE GNR fan, and I'm not terribly interested.

I saw them open for Aerosmith on the Appetite tour. I saw them with Soundgarden on the Illusion tour. I loved them. I think Slash is up there with Iommi in terms of writing great riffs, and I enjoy all of his work with his Snakepit and his solo stuff.

But Chinese Democracy was an album full of Estranged rewrites, and not in a good way. In the overwrought and overproduced way. I'll pass on this, unless tickets almost literally fall into my lap. I don't see them selling out Gillette Stadium. I was a HUGE GNR fan, and I'm not terribly interested.

Can't see them selling the Linc out in Philly either but I may be wrong.

I just don't know who the audience for this tour is.

I guess it's for the people who loved them back during the band's original run. I just don't think the demand for tickets is gonna be as good as the concert promoter/band thinks. This reunion will draw good sized crowds but there are a lot of fans that have moved on and just don't care anymore, so I wouldn't be surprised if these stadiums were half empty.

I guess it's for the people who loved them back during the band's original run. I just don't think the demand for tickets is gonna be as good as the concert promoter/band thinks. This reunion will draw good sized crowds but there are a lot of fans that have moved on and just don't care anymore, so I wouldn't be surprised if these stadiums were half empty.

That's me. Like I said, I loved them. But I don't see this as a true must see reunion, not because Adler and Izzy aren't there (although Izzy wrote a lot of the great tunes), but because Slash is better off with Myles now. I think they're going to be disappointed in the fan reaction too.

How many bands out there now can fill stadiums for an entire tour except for The Rolling Stones? Aerosmith? Maybe Billy Joel and Elton John can do it if they toured together again. Is there a country artist who can do it? Perhaps Garth Brooks? The list is just way too short as to who can fill stadiums on their own now and I don't think GnR is on it.

How many bands out there now can fill stadiums for an entire tour except for The Rolling Stones? Aerosmith? Maybe Billy Joel and Elton John can do it if they toured together again. Is there a country artist who can do it? Perhaps Garth Brooks? The list is just way too short as to who can fill stadiums on their own now and I don't think GnR is on it.

I saw AC/DC last summer at Gillette and it looked pretty filled. I don't know if it was technically sold out. I bet a lot of fans there were like me. They were the first band I saw in concert, on the For Those About to Rock tour. I kind of thought it was going to be the last go round for the band, so I wanted to see them one last time.

I remember reading somewhere - it may have been a Ray Danniels interview even - that less and less people were going to concerts. The younger generations aren't as into concert-going as the older generations.

Wow that is a shame if true. That is the best time , before the crowds wear u down and your time is your own. I know for me the expense alone has started to limit many shows. Not just the ticket but often travel and beers etc.

I remember reading somewhere - it may have been a Ray Danniels interview even - that less and less people were going to concerts. The younger generations aren't as into concert-going as the older generations.

Wow that is a shame if true. That is the best time , before the crowds wear u down and your time is your own. I know for me the expense alone has started to limit many shows. Not just the ticket but often travel and beers etc.

I think that is the main reason - the cost involved. The days of being able to get a first row ticket for $75 are long over and won't be returning any time soon. If ever.

I think that is the main reason - the cost involved. The days of being able to get a first row ticket for $75 are long over and won't be returning any time soon. If ever.

Yeah, it seems when i was young concerts were relatively cheap entertainment. When i was young we would often see just about anyone. Even if we really didnt like that much, now i pick and choose carefully

Yeah, it seems when i was young concerts were relatively cheap entertainment. When i was young we would often see just about anyone. Even if we really didnt like that much, now i pick and choose carefully

I was going to say that too. For $5, how could you go wrong? Even if you didn't particularly love the band, you went just because.

How did I forget AC/DC? They're definitely a band who could do it. But the list is still damn short.

Filling an occasional stadium can happen in Boston or New York.

But most AC/DC shows have been in arenas recently.

Unless the stage is at the 50 yard line, they won't sell out most places

Can Rush?

If they were playing a small number of dates they might be able to get enough people to travel to see them in a stadium. But I think it's a long shot even if they haven't toured for a few years before that. They're a popular band and a very popular live act but they're not at that level.