Extra $ worth it?

So, 17 year old reporting.

I've been playing bass for around 2 years now, and I feel pretty confident I'll be playing for life, that said, I'm looking for an upgrade.

I'm currently playing on some 100$ Peavy bass, and also a SR370 Ibanez. I love them both, but I'm thinking of getting a Jazz bass.

I'm pretty set on getting a Geddy Lee signature(big step I know) but I'm conflicted, I'm not sure if I should go for the $900 MIM version, or the $1600 MIA. Summer is on the way so I could get a job and feasibly work for the MIA, seeing as none of the money will go to bills (being 17 and such).

I don't spend money on anything else, and though I've heard MIA isn't worth the price hike compared to the MIM, I like the idea of a MIA. What do you guys think? Suggestions for other nice Jazzes other than the Geddy are appreciated too!

There are lower budget J basses that are comparable to the Geddy models. There are Squires with block inlay that are very similar in playability and tone. Go out and play a few. My main bass is a Mexican J that I got used for $200. I also have a Geddy. With Fenders price doesn't always equate to the best instrument. Sometimes the cheap ones can play and/or sound better than more expensive ones.
  • Like 3

I still use the same Squire strat I bought almost 20 years ago. Not exactly proud of it, but it still works for the limited playing that I do. Save your money unless you're getting paying gigs and can pay it off with the gig money.

If you're itching for the Geddy model, exercise some patience and look for a used one and save some bucks. Lots of starving musicians that need to sell stuff to pay rent.

Edited by 2112FirstStreet
  • Like 1

BassMasterGeneral,

Guitars and basses are funny things. Realistically, you need to hold them in your hands to know which one is the right one. You can't go by where it's made, or what it says on the headstock.

When I was 17 I also played bass, and all I wanted in life was a Rickenbacker 4001. My two heroes - Geddy, and Chris Squire, from Yes - both played jetglo black 4001s and so I wanted one badly. I worked my tail off, saved the money and bought one. You've never seen anyone as proud as I was on the day I brought the Ricky home.

But you know what? Within two years I sold it. Don't get me wrong, it was an absolutely gorgeous bass, and it sounded fantastic. I wanted to love it. But it just never felt right in my hands.

I also play guitar. I have an American Strat, and I have a Les Paul. I also have an inexpensive old Yamaha that cost about $200 a long time ago, and was the first halfway decent electric I ever bought. I still have it, and I still play it every now and then. It still feels good in my hands. It sounded muddy, so I upgraded the pickups to match the Les Paul (Gibson 498T in the bridge, 496R on the neck) and guess what? When you close your eyes and just listen, it's hard to tell them apart.

Why do you want to upgrade your bass? If it's a sound issue, new pickups can make an unbelievable difference.

If you just want to buy a new bass (and who doesn't like new toys?), then I really suggest you follow Cygnus' advice and go play a bunch of them. Close your eyes, forget what it says on the label, and go by how it feels and how it sounds. When you find the right one, you'll know.

All guitars and basses are individuals. I probably played 40 or 50 different Stratocasters before I found the one I bought. Somehow, it just felt better than the others.

Have fun!

Edited by Symmetre
  • Like 4

BassMasterGeneral,

Guitars and basses are funny things. Realistically, you need to hold them in your hands to know which one is the right one. You can't go by where it's made, or what it says on the headstock.

When I was 17 I also played bass, and all I wanted in life was a Rickenbacker 4001. My two heroes - Geddy, and Chris Squire, from Yes - both played jetglo black 4001s and so I wanted one badly. I worked my tail off, saved the money and bought one. You've never seen anyone as proud as I was on the day I brought the Ricky home.

But you know what? Within two years I sold it. Don't get me wrong, it was an absolutely gorgeous bass, and it sounded fantastic. I wanted to love it. But it just never felt right in my hands.

I also play guitar. I have an American Strat, and I have a Les Paul. I also have an inexpensive old Yamaha that cost about $200 a long time ago, and was the first halfway decent electric I ever bought. I still have it, and I still play it every now and then. It still feels good in my hands. It sounded muddy, so I upgraded the pickups to match the Les Paul (Gibson 498T in the bridge, 496R on the neck) and guess what? When you close your eyes and just listen, it's hard to tell them apart.

Why do you want to upgrade your bass? If it's a sound issue, new pickups can make an unbelievable difference.

If you just want to buy a new bass (and who doesn't like new toys?), then I really suggest you follow Cygnus' advice and go play a bunch of them. Close your eyes, forget what it says on the label, and go by how it feels and how it sounds. When you find the right one, you'll know.

All guitars and basses are individuals. I probably played 40 or 50 different Stratocasters before I found the one I bought. Somehow, it just felt better than the others.

Have fun!

I still use the same Squire strat I bought almost 20 years ago. Not exactly proud of it, but it still works for the limited playing that I do. Save your money unless you're getting paying gigs and can pay it off with the gig money.

If you're itching for the Geddy model, exercise some patience and look for a used one and save some bucks. Lots of starving musicians that need to sell stuff to pay rent.

There are lower budget J basses that are comparable to the Geddy models. There are Squires with block inlay that are very similar in playability and tone. Go out and play a few. My main bass is a Mexican J that I got used for $200. I also have a Geddy. With Fenders price doesn't always equate to the best instrument. Sometimes the cheap ones can play and/or sound better than more expensive ones.

Thanks to you all, I definitely understand the need to go play one for myself and feel around a bit.

Never really thought about it, but I suppose it is true that every instrument is different, so heading down to a couple music stores around me, and playing around sounds like the way to go! Thanks for the fast replies.

• Like 1

in the end I have always found that I ended up with what I wanted regardless of the price.

If I bought something because it was cheaper but I would have rather had something else. I end up selling what I bought.

If you fit into that same category might be better off just to continue to save until you have enough for what you want and then buy it.

getting the guitar that you love and really works for you now can last you 10 20 30 40 years.

If you really want a Geddy Jazz and can afford it then I would definitely go for the US model, check out some of the reviews on Youtube, it's a much nicer instrument and probably a good investment in the long term! Shop around for the best deal and keep your eyes open for a used one although unlikely just yet I think! With Fenders in general you're better off sticking to US or Japanese made instruments for quality although the MIM ones seem to have improved recently! Good luck! Edited by New Digital Man

You can get a used Japanese Geddy bass for $450-500 if you look. That's what I'd do. I've had several of them and as long as you can try before you buy you should be good.

A J is a J is a J in the same way Strats and Teles are. Spending more than $500 on any Fender is ridiculous. 2 grand for J is stupid when you can buy a similar one for $350. Spending money on an instrument with a player's name on it (aside from Les Paul which is a definitive model) is also less than smart. With most things you get what you pay for but not with Fenders. Again I go back to the story of my friend who found a Mexican Strat that he liked the tone and playability of and didn't buy it because it was not a US model. Then I went with him to the store and we played it next to 2 US models including a $2500 SRV model and we both liked the Mexican way better. So he bought it that day. Then next thing I knew he bought a Chinese Strat and Tele. The Tele is now his favorite Guitar. He also has a Gibson 339 and a Les Paul in his collection. We have used that Tele on a number of recordings as the main guitar.

Don't get hung up on price, don't get hung up on country of origin. If it plays good and sounds good it is good. I've played dozens of the Geddy models and own one because I got it for just less than $500. A friend also has one. They are fairly close but I have played some that are warped or have bad alignment. They are all over the place which is why you have to play them. Plus now they start at $900 for the Japanese models.

Buying instruments over the internet is ill advised. Especially used with no warranty or guarantee.

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2
  • Like 2

They stopped production of the Japanese GL Fender Jazz around 2012 when production move to Mexico! The more sought after MIJ model is far superior in quality than the MIM and would be worth searching out a good one if that's what takes your fancy!

I concur, the MIJ are TITS! I have two, and a Ric. They can be found on CL for around 500-550. The USA Geddys are not 1000 better!

• Like 1

had a MIJ geddy bass. it was meh.... whatever. not bad,not the best thing since sliced bread... sold it and bought a different fender jazz. that being said it was just one GL MIJ bass. Im sure some play better than others.

The US Geddy Jazz basses certainly sound a lot better than the Jap/Mex models and if you can afford it then why not?

I question this statement. When a Squire J is played next to a Mexican J next to an American J they are almost indistinguishable. There are subtle differences to each but none could be stated outright as one sounding "a lot better" than the others unless one was not working or had defective electronics. I have played a LOT of J basses. They are pretty consistent sounding. It's the playability that differs more greatly than tone.

• Like 1

I don't agree with all of the advice in this thread and some of it comes off as the gospel truth instead of an opinion but I still will weigh in. I have a Gibson lp, an epiphone lp, a fender mexi strat from around 96 and an old ibanez from around 86. I got the ibanez because I had a similar model from around 85 get stolen back in 88. Guess which one I spend 90% of my time playing? The ancient ibanez. It just feels right.
  • Like 3

The US Geddy Jazz basses certainly sound a lot better than the Jap/Mex models and if you can afford it then why not?

I have not had that experience with the US Geddys, I find nothing about the US model that is $1000 better than my two CIJ's and I have no problem spending money on gear. Just ask my Wife......LOL

Edited by Stugotz
  • Like 2

I have not had that experience with the US Geddys, I find nothing about the US model that is $1000 better than my two MIJ's and I have no problem spending money on gear. Just ask my Wife......LOL

Sound is also relative. It's easy enough to change pick ups on a bass too. The older MIJ/CIJ Geddy jazzes had weaker pickups. The newer Japanese ones had a slightly beefier neck which was much more stable as well.

• Like 1

I have not had that experience with the US Geddys, I find nothing about the US model that is $1000 better than my two MIJ's and I have no problem spending money on gear. Just ask my Wife......LOL

Right, me neither. As my GC buddy says "It might sound better, but does it sound $1000 better?" The answer is no. And with Fenders price does not equate to sound or playability.

• Like 1

Sound is also relative. It's easy enough to change pick ups on a bass too. The older MIJ/CIJ Geddy jazzes had weaker pickups. The newer Japanese ones had a slightly beefier neck which was much more stable as well.

Sound is relative to the ear listening, I agree. I have two CIJ Geddys, and neither have neck problems and I beat the living hell out of them. I put EMG JVX series pups in one for no reason at all but I use the stock Geddy for most of my studio work. Maybe I got lucky with both but they are both growly beasts. Its all about what YOU dig! Trying to explain how something sounds is like trying to explain to someone what a Rose smells like. LOL

• Like 1

I recently tried to upgrade, opting for a new $800 Fender (I play a short scale). After they sent two defective basses (different intonation issues on each), supposedly checked by the seller (Sweetwater) before being sent, I'm back to playing my $175 LTD. And you know what? Aside from some very minor complaints, it's a very solid instrument for the price. And at least it's playable, despite being $625 cheaper.

So I'm unfortunately back to only buying what I can play beforehand. Don't blindly buy mail order unless you're willing to schlep the bass back to Fedex for returns [and make sure the seller pays for returns if there's defects].

And since I mentioned the seller by name, I should also note that Sweetwater intentionally did NOT publish my negative review of the product, so now I can't trust the reviews I see online either knowing vendors are filtering the undesired ones. I even called them on it and they have literally not responded, when in the past they have ALWAYS responded to my inquiries. Their actions lost my business of many years and thousands of dollars.

I also want to echo the sentiments of an earlier post about not buying expensive instruments if you're not wealthy and aren't making money on the music being produced with it. If there's a professional need or you're at the moment of breakthrough professionally, then by all means. But if you're like most of us, just about anything that gets the job done will get the job done. And like most have already mentioned, you don't need the signature bass. There's almost always a cheaper, comparable alternative at a fraction the cost. Leave the signature stuff for the pros, stupid rich (more money than sense), and arm chair grammy winners with small penises. ;)

Edited by stoopid

Sure if you're happy with a Squire Jazz bass that's cool in the same way that if you drive a Nissan Micra and you're happy with it then that's cool too, who needs a Merc or a BMW anyway, however if you want to invest in something more expensive and refined and you're going to feel good about it then go for it I say, that's why I sold my '77 Fender Jazz to buy a Wal Mk2, it's what I wanted! Edited by New Digital Man

Please explain how a Squire J is less refined as a Mexican, Japanese or American J. There are a handful of Squires that don't have 3 piece pickguards and I'm sure that some of the woods are plied but by and large the specifications are the same. Have you played many?

I know one guy who's a touring sideman who plays a Squire J with gaff tape over the logo because he took sh!t for plaiying it. It's a natural ash body and it sounds great, especially in that guy's hands. Dude is an amazing player.

It's not like the difference between a Gibson and Epiphone Les Paul where the differential is much greater. Fender guitars were designed to be cheap. That is the whole point.

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2
  • Like 1

I'm not going to waste our time writing an essay about why a Squire is inferior to a US built Fender and I can tell that you have a far greater knowledge of the subject than me or anyone else on this forum however I will post a random link that sums it up;http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/archive/index.php?t-746995.html