Jump to content


Your Best Albums/Artists Of The New Millennium

Segue Myles Music Love Rock Lives! LETS BE BUDDIES

  • Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#1 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

    Cupcake Warrior

  • Members
  • 32236 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Nightwish
    Within Temptation
    The Juliana Theory
    REM
    Thrice
    Idlewild
    Jimmy Eat World
    HIM
    Paradise Lost
    AFI
    U2
    Bruce Springsteen
    Sonata Arctica
    Pearl Jam
    Biffy Clyro
    Placebo

Posted 28 March 2016 - 11:50 AM

So a hot topic debated recently on this forum is whether or not rock is still alive.

Yesterday, ReGor started a great new thread where we discuss what the ultimate list of defining classic rock albums would contain, and it is very interesting to say the least.

But how about we give some attention to new music. This is not to swipe away the focus on classic artists and their work (that thread I hope will have long legs), but just to shed light on new generations, new sounds, a new era.

The criteria for this list is simple: Classic rock bands of course deserve the honour of inclusion (Rush, Europe, and Maiden have had some great successes, for example), but the albums HAVE to be from 2000 onwards (90's releases deserve their own thread, but this thread is meant to shine a light on the 21st Century).

As always, be respectful. Music is not always a topic that needs to be argued, and I would like to ask that if we get any foolish messages about "rock is dead" or "these artists/albums suck in comparison to old music", we linger on the pro-active comments instead. Because truth be told, it is getting boring and the negativity from certain quarters is exhausting (and I will take some of the flack for being too confrontational myself at times)).

This should be a thread to celebrate or introduce new music. We can agree, or agree to disagree. But let's just keep things interesting.

If you disagree with a release, but agree on the band, spotlight the album you think is more deserving rather than tear apart someone else's addition to the list. Feel free to discuss, just be nice about it.

Edited by Segue Myles, 28 March 2016 - 11:51 AM.


Sponsored Post

#2 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

    Cupcake Warrior

  • Members
  • 32236 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Nightwish
    Within Temptation
    The Juliana Theory
    REM
    Thrice
    Idlewild
    Jimmy Eat World
    HIM
    Paradise Lost
    AFI
    U2
    Bruce Springsteen
    Sonata Arctica
    Pearl Jam
    Biffy Clyro
    Placebo

Posted 28 March 2016 - 11:58 AM

Thrice- Vheissu (2005)

Posted Image

Post-hardcore, with a very eclectic range of styles, this album really broke the band away from the earlier, more traditional post hardcore stylings.

Ambient, heavy, melodic and at times tender, this is one of the albums that changed my life.


Edited by Segue Myles, 28 March 2016 - 11:59 AM.


#3 Lucas

Lucas

    Leave That Wrench Alone

  • Members
  • 10812 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NJ

Posted 28 March 2016 - 12:07 PM

Although they put their debut out in 1996, I'm going to put Placebo here because they have consistently put out great stuff post-2000

From 2009's Battle For The Sun

Battle For The Sun





From 2000's Black Market Music

Peeping Tom





From 2003's Sleeping With Ghosts

This Picture



#4 Lucas

Lucas

    Leave That Wrench Alone

  • Members
  • 10812 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NJ

Posted 28 March 2016 - 12:11 PM

I love these guys

Skull Daze

Dirty Girl

80s inspired awesomeness



#5 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

    Cupcake Warrior

  • Members
  • 32236 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Nightwish
    Within Temptation
    The Juliana Theory
    REM
    Thrice
    Idlewild
    Jimmy Eat World
    HIM
    Paradise Lost
    AFI
    U2
    Bruce Springsteen
    Sonata Arctica
    Pearl Jam
    Biffy Clyro
    Placebo

Posted 28 March 2016 - 12:12 PM

Black Stone Cherry- Black Stone Cherry (2006)

Posted Image

Southern flavoured hard rock, with an infectious joy that takes the seventies stylings of AC/DC and the like and modernizes it. Is it a classic? Possibly not, but this is an excellent band that reminds one of the simple joys of rock n roll. I love this album (the debut), and they have yet to disappoint!



#6 Day of Light

Day of Light

    Too Much Information

  • Members *
  • 10557 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:being 21, family gatherings, fashion, TOG, good grades, plants, world peace

Posted 28 March 2016 - 01:34 PM

In terms of good albums:

Queens of the Stone Age - Like Clockwork (2013)
Also: Literally all of their stuff post-Rated R
Posted Image

KMFDM - WWIII (2003).
Honorable mentions: Hau Ruck (2005), Our Time Will Come (2014)

Posted Image

Ayreon - The Theory of Everything (2013)
Honorable mentions: The Human Equation (2005), 01011001 (2008)
Posted Image

#7 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

    Cupcake Warrior

  • Members
  • 32236 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Nightwish
    Within Temptation
    The Juliana Theory
    REM
    Thrice
    Idlewild
    Jimmy Eat World
    HIM
    Paradise Lost
    AFI
    U2
    Bruce Springsteen
    Sonata Arctica
    Pearl Jam
    Biffy Clyro
    Placebo

Posted 28 March 2016 - 01:35 PM

View PostDay of Light, on 28 March 2016 - 01:34 PM, said:

In terms of good albums:

Queens of the Stone Age - Like Clockwork (2013)
Also: Literally all of their stuff post-Rated R
Posted Image

KMFDM - WWIII (2003).
Honorable mentions: Hau Ruck (2005), Our Time Will Come (2014)

Posted Image

Ayreon - The Theory of Everything (2013)
Honorable mentions: The Human Equation (2005), 01011001 (2008)
Posted Image

You posted a Cristina Scabbia related album before I did!!!

#8 Day of Light

Day of Light

    Too Much Information

  • Members *
  • 10557 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:being 21, family gatherings, fashion, TOG, good grades, plants, world peace

Posted 28 March 2016 - 01:52 PM

Okay I don't know if I can name a "best" artist but here's just me rapid-firing a bunch of names off the top of my head.

We can't talk about good new artists without mentioning Ghost. Not everybody likes them (and I understand most of the criticism) but they are certainly promising.

Blind Guardian are peaking currently. Their last 4 albums have been better than anything else in their catalog in my opinion.

Dragonforce. Yeah yeah samey power metal--but they're a 21st century band, and they are very competent.

Foster The People. Torches was an excellent debut.

Arctic Monkeys. They somehow avoid mention despite being pure rock, with liveliness and attitude. Again, not everybody likes them, but they deserve a mention.

Simple Plan same deal.

Death Cab For Cutie. Formed in 1997, are still making good music. Why is indie rock not "real" rock to some people?

Three Days Grace also a band formed in 1997 but equally as important. TDG influenced more bands in their heyday (arguably 2005-2010) than a lot of classic rock bands. They released an album in 2015.

Muse. Overrated, but who cares. They're good.

Arcade Fire.

Butterfly Explosion. Severely underrated shoegaze. Formed in 2005.

Karnivool. Excellent metal.

#9 Presto-digitation

Presto-digitation

    Creative Writing 101

  • Members
  • 10465 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Music, movies, my family....my goofy Shih Tzu.

Posted 28 March 2016 - 01:57 PM

Baroness

#10 Day of Light

Day of Light

    Too Much Information

  • Members *
  • 10557 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:being 21, family gatherings, fashion, TOG, good grades, plants, world peace

Posted 28 March 2016 - 01:58 PM

A note: I actually hesitated listing bands that are heavier blends of electronica, synths, etc with more traditional rock music even though if they were compared to 80's rock they'd probably be considered much harder rock.

In many ways we are more metal in 2016 than we ever were.

#11 Day of Light

Day of Light

    Too Much Information

  • Members *
  • 10557 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:being 21, family gatherings, fashion, TOG, good grades, plants, world peace

Posted 28 March 2016 - 02:09 PM

Karnivool - Sound Awake (2009)
Posted Image

Rather Tool-inspired to my ears, but a little more musical. Great tenor-voiced vocalist.


Edited by Day of Light, 28 March 2016 - 02:12 PM.


#12 custom55

custom55

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 6027 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Nutley, NJ
  • Interests:Snowboarding & Retirement.

    On deck shows:


    Phish - Dec
    Robert Plant - Feb
    The Musical Box w/LeGorLaTroy - Feb
    Robin Trower - Mar
    Foo Fighters - Jul

Posted 28 March 2016 - 02:14 PM

Stunning music ( 2015 )

Posted Image

Edited by custom55, 28 March 2016 - 02:19 PM.


#13 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

    Cupcake Warrior

  • Members
  • 32236 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Nightwish
    Within Temptation
    The Juliana Theory
    REM
    Thrice
    Idlewild
    Jimmy Eat World
    HIM
    Paradise Lost
    AFI
    U2
    Bruce Springsteen
    Sonata Arctica
    Pearl Jam
    Biffy Clyro
    Placebo

Posted 28 March 2016 - 02:16 PM

View PostDay of Light, on 28 March 2016 - 01:58 PM, said:

A note: I actually hesitated listing bands that are heavier blends of electronica, synths, etc with more traditional rock music even though if they were compared to 80's rock they'd probably be considered much harder rock.

In many ways we are more metal in 2016 than we ever were.

I specifically avoided labelling this thread title with genre specifics. Ignore the tags they are mostly done for humour.

If you want to add Maroon 5 or Rihanna, be my guest!

But yeah, rock and metal is the main focus.

#14 Day of Light

Day of Light

    Too Much Information

  • Members *
  • 10557 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:being 21, family gatherings, fashion, TOG, good grades, plants, world peace

Posted 28 March 2016 - 02:20 PM

View PostSegue Myles, on 28 March 2016 - 02:16 PM, said:

View PostDay of Light, on 28 March 2016 - 01:58 PM, said:

A note: I actually hesitated listing bands that are heavier blends of electronica, synths, etc with more traditional rock music even though if they were compared to 80's rock they'd probably be considered much harder rock.

In many ways we are more metal in 2016 than we ever were.

I specifically avoided labelling this thread title with genre specifics. Ignore the tags they are mostly done for humour.

If you want to add Maroon 5 or Rihanna, be my guest!

But yeah, rock and metal is the main focus.

Mostly I find that indie rock gets ignored. Severely overlooked.

#15 fritz44

fritz44

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1003 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 28 March 2016 - 02:20 PM

The Virginmarys - The King of Conflict
Ming City R*ckers - Debut
Band of Skulls - all three albums (4 if you want to count their live album)
The Black Keys - up to and including Brothers
Tom Petty (does he count?) - Highway Companion

#16 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

    Cupcake Warrior

  • Members
  • 32236 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Nightwish
    Within Temptation
    The Juliana Theory
    REM
    Thrice
    Idlewild
    Jimmy Eat World
    HIM
    Paradise Lost
    AFI
    U2
    Bruce Springsteen
    Sonata Arctica
    Pearl Jam
    Biffy Clyro
    Placebo

Posted 28 March 2016 - 02:23 PM

View PostDay of Light, on 28 March 2016 - 02:20 PM, said:

View PostSegue Myles, on 28 March 2016 - 02:16 PM, said:

View PostDay of Light, on 28 March 2016 - 01:58 PM, said:

A note: I actually hesitated listing bands that are heavier blends of electronica, synths, etc with more traditional rock music even though if they were compared to 80's rock they'd probably be considered much harder rock.

In many ways we are more metal in 2016 than we ever were.

I specifically avoided labelling this thread title with genre specifics. Ignore the tags they are mostly done for humour.

If you want to add Maroon 5 or Rihanna, be my guest!

But yeah, rock and metal is the main focus.

Mostly I find that indie rock gets ignored. Severely overlooked.

I want to highlight Transatlanticism by Death Cab and some Jimmy Eat World.

Indie was awesome in the 2000's, and I think emo had its last few years of greatness (before emo came to mean eyeliner and broken hearts...eugh).

#17 Day of Light

Day of Light

    Too Much Information

  • Members *
  • 10557 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:being 21, family gatherings, fashion, TOG, good grades, plants, world peace

Posted 28 March 2016 - 02:45 PM

Metric - Fantasies (2009)

Posted Image

Canadian indie rock band. Extremely competent. Female-fronted. I think this and Synthetica are really strong releases from them. Fantasies especially was just full of hits.



#18 custom55

custom55

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 6027 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Nutley, NJ
  • Interests:Snowboarding & Retirement.

    On deck shows:


    Phish - Dec
    Robert Plant - Feb
    The Musical Box w/LeGorLaTroy - Feb
    Robin Trower - Mar
    Foo Fighters - Jul

Posted 28 March 2016 - 02:46 PM

I'm getting into the Psychedelia music lately.   I can only take it in small doses but I find it interesting and I'm look forward to going to a show of this type of music.

Follakziod - Trees ( 2012 )



#19 custom55

custom55

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 6027 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Nutley, NJ
  • Interests:Snowboarding & Retirement.

    On deck shows:


    Phish - Dec
    Robert Plant - Feb
    The Musical Box w/LeGorLaTroy - Feb
    Robin Trower - Mar
    Foo Fighters - Jul

Posted 28 March 2016 - 02:50 PM

View Postfritz44, on 28 March 2016 - 02:20 PM, said:

The Virginmarys - The King of Conflict
Ming City R*ckers - Debut
Band of Skulls - all three albums (4 if you want to count their live album)
The Black Keys - up to and including Brothers
Tom Petty (does he count?) - Highway Companion

New Mudcrutch album and tour happening soon.

#20 custom55

custom55

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 6027 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Nutley, NJ
  • Interests:Snowboarding & Retirement.

    On deck shows:


    Phish - Dec
    Robert Plant - Feb
    The Musical Box w/LeGorLaTroy - Feb
    Robin Trower - Mar
    Foo Fighters - Jul

Posted 28 March 2016 - 03:01 PM

Robert Plant

Always innovative with his music and different artists.

Lullabye and the Ceaseless Roar ( 2015 )



The Mighty ReArranger ( 2005 )


Edited by custom55, 28 March 2016 - 03:02 PM.






Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Segue Myles, Music, Love, Rock Lives!, LETS BE BUDDIES

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users