The Camera Eye

Lorraine

From a drummer's perspective...I don't know if I'm an exception or not, but I rarely know where to come in by counting. Sometimes, yes, in some passages. But as far as The Camera Eye is concerned- I think it's really hard to count, especially during the intro to that song, with what the keyboard is doing, before the guitar or the drums come in. But I've listened to it enough times, I know every segment of the intro well enough, that I can just feel the rhythm before it hits.

It is very subtle, in that one. But that's the best way I can describe it. It isn't a matter of counting. I can just feel it coming.

To add in some more perspective, it takes listening to something constantly and getting everything to pinpoint accuracy and perfection. I generally don't drum to Rush tunes, but the best method of learning a song on this particular instrument is constant listening and relistening. Lots of core fundamental practice as well, but mostly listening to things to where you know by ear when you're supposed to come in.