Ben Hur (2016)

Principled Man

I am quite skeptical about this remake. It had better be really, really GOOD.......but my cynicism tells me that it will focus more on the action than on the story.

The 1959 film was flawless, IMO. It's gonna be hard to match!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N983kHgvjQQ

• Like 6

There's only one Ben-Hur.

And there is only one Messala, as portrayed by Stephen Boyd. How he didn't win Best Supporting Actor is a mystery. The Academy gave it to Hugh Griffith, whose role as Shiek Ilderim was limited. Boyd's performance was masterful. :haz: :haz:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-th6_dLHOZAM/VOeU8fT7XWI/AAAAAAAAff4/bcPJsmwJmfU/s1600/Messala.jpg

• Like 7

And there is only one Messala, as portrayed by Stephen Boyd. How he didn't win Best Supporting Actor is a mystery. The Academy gave it to Hugh Griffith, whose role as Shiek Ilderim was limited. Boyd's performance was masterful. :haz: :haz:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-th6_dLHOZAM/VOeU8fT7XWI/AAAAAAAAff4/bcPJsmwJmfU/s1600/Messala.jpg

I agree! His death scene was especially superb.

• Like 3

I didn't know they were remaking this though I'm not surprised. Between this and the new Ghostbusters movie it's going to be a dismal summer.
  • Like 2

I was hoping this might look good.

Well...it looks worth a watch, but nothing to write home about.

The first two adaptations will always remain masterpieces.

• Like 2

Segue, that's right. There was a silent version in the late twenties. Ramon Navarro!

Thanks for reminding me!

I bought the deluxe, remastered box set, and it came as a bonus!

Both are spectacular, even if I do not like Charlton Heston that much.

• Like 2

Time period pieces are of no interest to people under 30.

They want dumb comedies and comic book films and thats it

There was a study on these historical films over the last 5 years.

Pompeii, The Heart of the Sea...etc...all bombed

HISTORY does not sell tickets anymore. The film may very well be more interesting to us older folks..but

This looks horrible.

• Like 1

I agree! His death scene was especially superb.

It goes on. It goes on, Judah. The race... the race... is not... over!

• Like 2

Time period pieces are of no interest to people under 30.

They want dumb comedies and comic book films and thats it

There was a study on these historical films over the last 5 years.

Pompeii, The Heart of the Sea...etc...all bombed

HISTORY does not sell tickets anymore. The film may very well be more interesting to us older folks..but

This looks horrible.

Pompeii and The Heart Of The Sea bombed because of how bad they were. I think it has been a long while since we last had a truly great period epic. The last I can remember is Kingdom Of Heaven, and even then the theatrical cut was awful. The director's cut is masterful, but by the time it was released i think it was too late!

• Like 1

I was six years old the first time I saw this movie. Our next door neighbor couldn't believe that I would sit still in a movie theater for hours watching a movie like this. But I was mesmerized by it. And I never forgot the music. Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 3

I was six years old the first time I saw this movie. Our next door neighbor couldn't believe that I would sit still in a movie theater for hours watching a movie like this. But I was mesmerized by it. And I never forgot the music.

HA!

This reminds me of when my mum and dad when they first bought Gone With The Wind...I was seven, and they warned me it would be too much for me to handle. It hooked me instantly, and remains a top three movie for me to this day, after over, maybe, 100 viewings! I bought it three times as well, until I got the PERFECT picture quality (blu ray).

• Like 1

OH NO!

HOW COULD THEY?!

ONE OF THE GREATEST MOVIES EVER MADE!

LOVE THE MAIN STARS BUT MUST MENTION JACK HAWKINS AS QUINTUS ARRIUS,AND FINLAY CURRIE AS BALTHASAR.BOTH ARE SUPERB IN THEIR ROLES..

THE SCENE WHEN MASSALA IS INJURED AND DYING IS QUITE BRILLIANT!

HOW CAN THE NEW VERSION COME CLOSE TO BETTER THE ORIGINAL?

NOT FOR ME IT WON'T!

• Like 2

OH NO!

HOW COULD THEY?!

LOVE THE MAIN STARS BUT MUST MENTION JACK HAWKINS AS QUINTUS ARRIUS,AND FINLAY CURRIE AS BALTHASAR.BOTH ARE SUPERB IN THEIR ROLES..

NOT FOR ME IT WON'T!

Nothing about the trailer looks right, does it?

• Like 1

OH NO!

HOW COULD THEY?!

NOT FOR ME IT WON'T!

Don't forget Sam Jaffe!

• Like 1

I was six years old the first time I saw this movie. Our next door neighbor couldn't believe that I would sit still in a movie theater for hours watching a movie like this. But I was mesmerized by it. And I never forgot the music.

HA!

This reminds me of when my mum and dad when they first bought Gone With The Wind...I was seven, and they warned me it would be too much for me to handle. It hooked me instantly, and remains a top three movie for me to this day, after over, maybe, 100 viewings! I bought it three times as well, until I got the PERFECT picture quality (blu ray).

Believe it or not, for the first time in my life I saw GWTW about three weeks ago. My husband had it on order at the library for six months. The waiting list for the movie was apparently quite long.

• Like 1

HA!

Believe it or not, for the first time in my life I saw GWTW about three weeks ago. My husband had it on order at the library for six months. The waiting list for the movie was apparently quite long.

You amaze me!

Your opinion?

HA!

You amaze me!

Your opinion?

I don't want to derail his Ben-Hur thread! :)

HA!

You amaze me!

Your opinion?

Last movie you watched thread!

I'd love to know how it comes across to an adult who has never seen it before.

HA!

You amaze me!

Your opinion?

I will do it tomorrow. I'm out of time now. But along with the movie, the first time I ever read the book was about ten years ago. I picked it up at a used book sale. i was always turned off to whatever it was people were(are) talking endlessly about, and that movie and book were a hot topic when I was growing up, so I was turned off to both.

• Like 1

HA!

You amaze me!

Your opinion?

I will do it tomorrow. I'm out of time now. But along with the movie, the first time I ever read the book was about ten years ago. I picked it up at a used book sale. i was always turned off to whatever it was people were(are) talking endlessly about, and that movie and book were a hot topic when I was growing up, so I was turned off to both.

I never read the book! I have always wanted too though!

Like me and most movies nowadays...the hype bores me so I avoid.

Which,coming back to this film, surprises me:

Did anyone know about this movie six months ago? Is their any major hype in the US?

Who are the cast? Big names in America, or just another bunch of nobodies ala Pompeii?