New Neil update

EagleMoon

Who?

That guy Geddy and Alex work with

The drummer with the attitude problem? Whassis name? Portnoy?

Edited by grep

He can't be serious

http://www.neilpeart.net/news/march_2016/PA_crashsite.jpg

THIS.

When I saw this on his blog entry (before reading the article) I assumed it was referring to the crash site of Flight 93 in Shanksville. Come to find out it's where 'ol Neil laid his bike down. I know he's Canadian but he's been in the U.S. long enough to know better. Frankly, I was offended.

Now. Without Neil, Rush would not have been anywhere close to what they became. Neil (and the "guys at work") have contributed greatly to my life in many ways. Neil's lyrics are close® to my heart and to some extent shaped the worldview of that teenager seeing his first rock concert in 1983. I will forever be thankful for Rush's enriching my life.

BUT, I believe FOH Lights, and I agree that Neil has been a bit of a dick in how he ended things. He could have, and should have, ended it better. He owes the people he's worked with (and I definitely include beyond Ged and Al) for over 40 years at least that much.

I still hold him in high regard, I will still buy his books and read his blogs, but that doesn't mean I (or anyone else) shouldn't be critical when I feel he hasn't done right by his people. I do think he sometimes has difficulty putting himself in other's shoes.

But that's OK. Nobody's perfect and life will go on as it was.

I agree with respect to how retirement is being forced down the throats of the founding members. Really Neil, would 25 more R40 shows have been that terrible.

It Would have given their Euro fans one last chance to see them, and give everyone a little bit of time to savor the end of a remarkable career. 35 shows to cover their catalogue,given the decades of heavy synth era shows to sit thru, didnt give their formative material its due.

Disagree with your point that G & A would not have made it as far with a different drummer. I, like many fans, mostly enjoy Rush for their music, solos and riffs, mostly written by G & A. Neil's drumming is awesome, but these songs stand on their own. Given they replace Rutsey with a talented prog drummer, they would have ended up ok.

• Like 4

Disagree with your point that G & A would not have made it as far with a different drummer. I, like many fans, mostly enjoy Rush for their music, solos and riffs, mostly written by G & A. Neil's drumming is awesome, but these songs stand on their own. Given they replace Rutsey with a talented prog drummer, they would have ended up ok.

No, I think they still would have been successful due to their talent, but I think they would have been a totally different band with Not Neil. The lyrics wouldn't have been so cerebral, their progginess would have been different, they may not have broken mainstream...who knows? What if Rutsey wanted the touring life? Certainly a different outcome...

No, I think they still would have been successful due to their talent, but I think they would have been a totally different band with Not Neil. The lyrics wouldn't have been so cerebral, their progginess would have been different, they may not have broken mainstream...who knows? What if Rutsey wanted the touring life? Certainly a different outcome...

You are right, definitely different. They said they were growing more in a prog direction then, and Rutsey dindnt really like that style. It would have been important to their hypothetical future success that they pick a prog drummer, had it not been Neil. But yes, a drummer with imaginative lyrics, what are the chances?

Perhaps they would have needed to follow the Grateful Dead model, who were friendly with poets that wrote alot of their famous lyrics.

Congrats Eagle Moon! 16 pages!

It's like a bloody car wreck. We attempt to avert our eyes but can't stop ourselves from looking.

My threads suck. Lucky to get 3 replies.

• Like 1

It's like a bloody car wreck. We attempt to avert our eyes but can't stop ourselves from looking.

Mine sometimes fall flat too. Then, other times they can get pretty long. Still, it's not the size that matters, it's the quality. Wait, I mean...

• Like 2

Motorcycle wreck, actually. And thankfully not bloody.

• Like 4

Of late, it seems like anyone could just title a thread "Neil" and be guaranteed 5 pages. :LOL:

• Like 4

Of late, it seems like anyone could just title a thread "Neil" and be guaranteed 5 pages. :LOL:

:LOL:

Say he's a dick and you're guaranteed 10!

• Like 4

Not a comic book guy.

But I do have this one.....

http://kirbymuseum.o...by/archives/546

Ah yes, the Rush one.

To me, this is the best Rush reference (without them actually appearing) in the mainstream. But then again, Defenders comics in the 70s or at any time was hardly a household name. Netflix should be taking care of that in a year or two.

Well it was certainly done WAY before it became cool to do it. Now everyone does it. Even Nerf Herder......

• Like 1

Not a comic book guy.

But I do have this one.....

http://kirbymuseum.o...by/archives/546

Ah yes, the Rush one.

To me, this is the best Rush reference (without them actually appearing) in the mainstream. But then again, Defenders comics in the 70s or at any time was hardly a household name. Netflix should be taking care of that in a year or two.

Well it was certainly done WAY before it became cool to do it. Now everyone does it. Even Nerf Herder......

That's because Marvel and The Defenders were, at the time, ahead of their time.

To me, it makes sense that Rush would be in a comic that showcases characters like Doc Strange, Sub-Mariner, & Silver Surfer.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze