Is Rock Dead?

Union 5-3992

Alright, if this doesn't do it, then there is too much estrogen in the public water supply

Says the dude who loves ABBA. :))

Hahahahahaha!!!

Hey bucko! I suck more than helium.

Leave my band alone.

Signed,

"WATERLOO"

LOL!!

Get it? "water supply?"

Hey I'll listen to an entire Air Supply album before I would listen to ONE ABBA song.

Alright, if this doesn't do it, then there is too much estrogen in the public water supply

Hahahahahaha!!!

Leave my band alone.

Signed,

"WATERLOO"

LOL!!

Get it? "water supply?"

Wait, I think I get it!!! Waterloo? Loo? Water Closet?

ABBA is crap?

sounds about right! ;)

Rock is dead from a business perspective.

No money in rock records, rock radio stations or rock clubs.

Speaking Nationally and Globally, NOT Locally. 10-20 cites have a club that gets acts, but mid size markets to small markets, live rock music does not exist.

All of the music today the public is buying is crap. Rock music has little or no chance to get a breakthrough artist.

As for older artists, year after year, acts stop touring or stop releasing records or pass away.

The future looks like shit

• Like 3

Hahahahahaha!!!

Leave my band alone.

Signed,

"WATERLOO"

LOL!!

Get it? "water supply?"

Hey I'll listen to an entire Air Supply album before I would listen to ONE ABBA song.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! You are fukking killing me buddy!!! REALLY?

You would rather suffer through an entire Air Supply album than one ABBA song?

LOL!

I am listening to "Super Trouper" right now! EPIC MASTERPIECE!

Wait is this my ABBA thread? I can't remember! LOL!

ROCK IS NOT DEAD!

ABBA LIVES!

Rock is dead from a business perspective.

No money in rock records, rock radio stations or rock clubs.

Speaking Nationally and Globally, NOT Locally. 10-20 cites have a club that gets acts, but mid size markets to small markets, live rock music does not exist.

All of the music today the public is buying is crap. Rock music has little or no chance to get a breakthrough artist.

As for older artists, year after year, acts stop touring or stop releasing records or pass away.

The future looks like shit

Damnit DS!

Why do you have to be so serious???????

UGH!!!

YOU NAILED IT!!

Sadly, you are right on "The Big Money!"

• Like 2

boring motherfu@kers

we need to get some of you in the back seat of the Formula 455 for some lawn driving

:LOL: "boring"? :LOL:

Because we don't like Skull Daze like you do? You know what's boring? That band's name.

Learn to accept people not liking all of your tastes in music. Being a Rush fan, you should be used to that by now.

Damn it JB, listening to all that new Rush has taken away your sense of humor

;)

Dust off the pool cue and get back in that car with the bird sticker on the hood

I was bringing this up in chat earlier today (well, yesterday) but I think modern rock peaked in 2007, 2008. In general, third golden age of rock happened from 2003-2009. The current indie scene just doesn't seem to have the power or the omnipresence to reach a very wide audience. You've got tons of little bands but to be honest none of them are really that captivating; meanwhile the music industry is bigger than ever while using less instruments than ever before.

I don't think rock n' roll is dead but I do think rock, as we knew it in the past, might be dead. There is a bit of a difference. I still have my hopes up. There's still a lot of pride that goes into being able to play a real instrument well.

edit: i think metal and prog and those sorts of bands that were founded in the 90's are still going strong; it's just a question of whether they will ever reach superstardom and whether a new act will be created in this decade that will reach that point of superstardom again

Edited by Day of Light
  • Like 1

boring motherfu@kers

we need to get some of you in the back seat of the Formula 455 for some lawn driving

:LOL: "boring"? :LOL:

Because we don't like Skull Daze like you do? You know what's boring? That band's name.

Learn to accept people not liking all of your tastes in music. Being a Rush fan, you should be used to that by now.

Damn it JB, listening to all that new Rush has taken away your sense of humor

;)

Dust off the pool cue and get back in that car with the bird sticker on the hood

Nah, Snakes & Arrows just barely missed out on the top spot of worst Rush album (losing to the dice album). But if I play it this week it has a chance of winning. Vapor Trails is no gem either. And Clockwork Angels has some moments that I really dislike too (though I'd still say it's a good album).

Besides you bastard, my double use of " :LOL: " should've shown that I wasn't TOO serious. ;)

Oh, i was in Tower Records last weekend and there was a Kiss display with Japanese-style art ("ukiyo-e" to be exact). They were selling the stuff. I took pics of it on my phone. I thought it looked pretty cool so I assumed you and Earl would too. Will try and post it somewhere later.

• Like 1

I was bringing this up in chat earlier today (well, yesterday) but I think modern rock peaked in 2007, 2008. In general, third golden age of rock happened from 2003-2009. The current indie scene just doesn't seem to have the power or the omnipresence to reach a very wide audience. You've got tons of little bands but to be honest none of them are really that captivating; meanwhile the music industry is bigger than ever while using less instruments than ever before.

I don't think rock n' roll is dead but I do think rock, as we knew it in the past, might be dead. There is a bit of a difference. I still have my hopes up. There's still a lot of pride that goes into being able to play a real instrument well.

edit: i think metal and prog and those sorts of bands that were founded in the 90's are still going strong; it's just a question of whether they will ever reach superstardom and whether a new act will be created in this decade that will reach that point of superstardom again

I just don't see it. Rock N Roll isn't dead but in my mind it sure as hell is on life support.

Who the hell is going to save ROCK N ROLL???

LOU REED

DAVID BOWIE

KEITH EMERSON

CHRIS SQUIRE

MAURICE WHITE

GLEN FREY

PAUL KANTNER

ON AND ON AND ON! It's gonna get worse folks so strap on your seatbelts and be prepared for a rollercoaster ride straight to HELL!

This is a Rush Forum which means there are a plethora of humans on her who love progressive rock and all kinds of other genres of music. Intellectuals dwell here.

So who is going to save ROCK AND ROLL smarty pants?

Steven Wilson?

Steel Panther?

Who is the modern musical messiah to save music?

NO ONE!!!

Taylor Fukking Swift?

Dave Play The Same Drum Beat Guitar Riff Grohl?

Grohl saved a famous soundboard. Dave is good for ROCK AND ROLL.

Just saying. Dave fuckingg hands out more awards and gives more speeches these days then does ROCK AND ROLL.

I could go all night long man. f**k I have a cramp in my index finger from typing.

Who will save ROCK AND ROLL????

Everyone who kept real rock alive is fuckking dying.

Don't shoot me, I am just the messenger of stating the obvious.

Have a good night, and as one of my favorite hard rock bands would sing, ROCK ON!!!!!!!!

Signed,

VANDENBERG

I hope at least 10% of you who read this understand the seriousness of this reality.

To all others who think that I'm insane and on drugs.....

FUCKK OFFF!

I'm a lot smarter than you think.

After all Jim has given me a lot of freedom on here over the last almost ten years.

Jim and I aren't buddies but I love the guy.

Yep!

Not kissing ass either.

I "LICK IT UP!"

Signed,

KISS

Hard to say. As mostly a fan of older music, I get the sentiment, but bands like Five Finger Death Punch are pretty popular. It's absolute shit to me, but someone likes it (sorry if I offended any 5FDP fans here, I'll buy you a chain wallet). Thankfully there's still a lot of lesser known bands making good music and touring to keep it alive for me. New stuff like Baroness and new stuff that sounds like old stuff...like the excellently named Space Vacation!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TArxUY6Tpfk

• Like 2

Too often rock music doesn't sound like "real" rock music to some ears and is ignored or worse. It's also become popular to literally attack certain bands that are clearly popular and in the rock category. The Foo Fighters are clearly a rock band and, while they are not new, they are one of the bigger acts around. Nickel back is clearly a rock band but the majority of people lamenting the death of rock also do not like them. I also hear three days grace, five finger death punch, muse, and other current rock bands on the radio. Then we also have genre splintering. Is alternative rock still rock? If it is the there are a ton of bands. I don't listen to top 40 radio at all so I'm pretty clueless about pop acts but I do listen to alt radio and they have a constant batch of new talent playing.
  • Like 3

I do not believe rock music is dead, but I think the omnipresence of rock as we knew it has waned. It is getting a lot of competition from country, pop, rap, and hip hop. And while it is nice to know that a younger generation is discovering the classic rock acts, there is a downside, in that they are ignoring the newer acts. We have one modern rock station but it focuses mostly on heavy metal/grunge. And even they play classic rock mixed in with the metal stuff.

There are rock bands out there, you just have to hunt for them, whereas when I was coming up, you only had to turn on the radio. Thankfully the internet allows for that. Some newer groups I like are Band of Skulls and Royal Blood. I am sure there are more out there.

• Like 4

Music is so diverse I don't think its a bad thing rock is not always at the top.

• Like 4

I don't even ponder the question.

Is there any music, say, in the past five years, that you love? That moves you? Or...that 'rocks'?

Yeah?

Okay, then.

Just keep digging it, and keep moving forward.

• Like 5

Lucas, I can't quote or like a lot of the posts that have YouTube stuff embedded in them when I'm on my phone, for some reason, but I wanted to say...

Ray LaMontagne is bloody genius!

Pleased to meet another fan. ;)

• Like 1

It is natural to associate music with a time in your life, and there is a tendency to look at those memories thru rose colored glasses ..

There are a lot of acts that are looked at fondly now by people who may or may not have appreciated them at the time ie ABBA, The Carpenters, The Bee Gees, etc

As much as I love living in the past, there are a lot of great musical acts out there right now that I really enjoy ..

There are also a lot of "classic" acts that even to this day, I never bonded with or liked - Heart, Fleetwood Mac, The Eagles, Pink Floyd

So while I can see how bands like that are loved, and still loved - it is not simply what they've done, but, more importantly, what they do for you ..

It is up to you to find art that is meaningful to you ... And it is out there

Anyone who have ever downloaded music without paying for is also to blame for this ... The backing of bands, esp new bands, is not what it was, and that is directly related to all of those who stole music from the internet ..

I'd hate to think where a band like The Rolling Stones would be if they came out today with no backing and support from their label and management .... The Stones' first album contained ONE original song, and it was the nurturing and financial patience from their people that allowed them to grow ...

Anyone who has ever downloaded music has no right complaining about what has transpired

• Like 4

Good rock is found under rocks. Under sand. Under land. You need to search for it yourself. It's there but its like going clamming or grave robbing... Grab a bucket or a shovel and dig.
  • Like 3

Good rock is found under rocks. Under sand. Under land. You need to search for it yourself. It's there but its like going clamming or grave robbing... Grab a bucket or a shovel and dig.

Agree... It's out there but it's not presented/promoted to you on the radio/media like it used to be.