Say nice things about your least favorite Rush album

Day of Light

Alex says that Signals sounded "underproduced". I disagree. I think it sounds great. I'm sorry, they never should have fired Terry Brown. After the success of Hemispheres, Perm W, and MP, you fire the studio coach? That's like winning 3 superbowls, then going deep in the playoffs and nearly making it again the next year, then firing him. What gives?

Apparently they felt like they were getting in a rut. That's crazy talk right there.

Vapor Trails better than being taken behind with a rusty mace without lubricant.

One of Tony's best!

That's not his best! Being taken with a rusty mace without lube is his regular Saturday night!

:P

HAHAHA!

The fact that Myles has blown off "Hemispheres" kills me.

WTF?

• Like 1

Vapor Trails better than being taken behind with a rusty mace without lubricant.

One of Tony's best!

That's not his best! Being taken with a rusty mace without lube is his regular Saturday night!

HAHAHA!

WTF?

tumblr_lhszs8ykkw1qg39ewo1_500.gif

One of Tony's best!

HAHAHA!

WTF?

http://www.heavymetal.com/v2/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/big-trouble-in-little-china.jpg

• Like 1

One of Tony's best!

HAHAHA!

WTF?

http://www.heavymetal.com/v2/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/big-trouble-in-little-china.jpg

Lolololololololol!

• Like 1

Alex says that Signals sounded "underproduced". I disagree. I think it sounds great. I'm sorry, they never should have fired Terry Brown. After the success of Hemispheres, Perm W, and MP, you fire the studio coach? That's like winning 3 superbowls, then going deep in the playoffs and nearly making it again the next year, then firing him. What gives?

Apparently they felt like they were getting in a rut. That's crazy talk right there.

Terry Brown is not all that. Remember, Neil Peart (let the bashing begin) was not satisfied with the sound of the drums on Permanent Waves. And they recorded the music for Hemispheres in a different key than Geddy's voice, he had to push to the very top of his range to pull it off. You can argue Mr. Brown didn't do his job. Once again, Terry Brown benefited from Rush more than Rush benefited from Terry Brown. Maybe the actual dissatisfaction is with the songs Rush started to compose?

• Like 1

Terry Brown is not all that. Remember, Neil Peart (let the bashing begin) was not satisfied with the sound of the drums on Permanent Waves. And they recorded the music for Hemispheres in a different key than Geddy's voice, he had to push to the very top of his range to pull it off. You can argue Mr. Brown didn't do his job. Once again, Terry Brown benefited from Rush more than Rush benefited from Terry Brown. Maybe the actual dissatisfaction is with the songs Rush started to compose?

And yet Geddy says "I" or "we" when he refers to recording the Hemispheres tracks in too high of a key. I just recently read an interview where he said they just needed a change. It probably doesn't just come down to one or two things.

Terry Brown is not all that. Remember, Neil Peart (let the bashing begin) was not satisfied with the sound of the drums on Permanent Waves. [/i]And they recorded the music for Hemispheres in a different key than Geddy's voice, he had to push to the very top of his range to pull it off. You can argue Mr. Brown didn't do his job. Once again, Terry Brown benefited from Rush more than Rush benefited from Terry Brown. Maybe the actual dissatisfaction is with the songs Rush started to compose?

I'm not questioning your point in posting that quote RR, but I don't understand the logic here ..

Book II is no different than a lot other Rush songs prior to it in that it was written in a key in which Alex could use his particular chord shapes, using the high open E and B strings to ring out, and, he uses harmonics in certain parts, which would have been impossible in another key ( .. unless he tuned down, which he never had to that point in their career, or, used a capo, which would have compounded the problem by actually raising the key )

There was a perfect contrast in certain sections - I have memory and awareness .. is so effective because of what preceded it in The universe divided, as the heart and mind collided ..

Overall, none of this is any different than what Geddy did years before in, for example, No One At The Bridge ..

It was Rush's trademark, and what really defined their sound ..

If they wanted to go in another direction, and tone down Geddy's voice, that is understandable ...

But I don't think any blame should be put on Terry Brown - he was just bringing out the character of the band ... Why should pushing a band to their limits be considered a negative ?? ... That's what any good musician will do ..

Edited by Lucas

Terry Brown is not all that. Remember, Neil Peart (let the bashing begin) was not satisfied with the sound of the drums on Permanent Waves. [/i]And they recorded the music for Hemispheres in a different key than Geddy's voice, he had to push to the very top of his range to pull it off. You can argue Mr. Brown didn't do his job. Once again, Terry Brown benefited from Rush more than Rush benefited from Terry Brown. Maybe the actual dissatisfaction is with the songs Rush started to compose?

I'm not questioning your point in posting RR, but I don't understand the logic here ..

Book II is no different than a lot other Rush songs prior to it in that it was written in a key in which Alex could use his particular chord shapes, using the high open E and B strings to ring out, and, he uses harmonics in certain parts, which would have been impossible in another key ( .. unless he tuned down, which he never had to that point in their career, or, used a capo, which would have compounded the problem by actually raising the key )

There was a perfect contrast in certain sections - I have memory and awareness .. is so effective because of what preceded it in The universe divided, as the heart and mind collided ..

Overall, none of this is any different than what Geddy did years before in, for example, No One At The Bridge ..

If they wanted to go in another direction, and tone down Geddy's voice, that is understandable ...

But I don't think any blame sound be put on Terry Brown - he was just bringing out the character of the band ... Why should pushing a band to their limits be considered a negative ?? ... That's what any good musician will do ..

Geddy could have sung it an octave down. I would imagine Circumstances was the main issue on Hemispheres since the vocal is so high.

• Like 1

I'm not questioning your point in posting RR, but I don't understand the logic here ..

But I don't think any blame sound be put on Terry Brown - he was just bringing out the character of the band ... Why should pushing a band to their limits be considered a negative ?? ... That's what any good musician will do ..

Geddy could have sung it an octave down. I would imagine Circumstances was the main issue on Hemispheres since the vocal is so high.

ok, so we are talking about Hemispheres, the album as a whole

An octave down and it wouldn't have been Rush- use it before you lose it, right ??

The band was obviously headed for a change, as the next 3 or 4 years would prove .. Terry Brown is not above criticism, however, to point the finger at him in any way for Hemispheres is nuts - it's their pinnacle

This is not an issue like with an athlete who might be pushed so hard that they permanently damage their body or risk their future health .... Geddy was pushed to sing some songs, and it is what gave Rush they identity ..

An octave down and it wouldn't have been Rush- use it before you lose it, right ??

The band was obviously headed for a change, as the next 3 or 4 years would prove .. Terry Brown is not above criticism, however, to point the finger at him in any way for Hemispheres is nuts - it's their pinnacle

This is not an issue like with an athlete who might be pushed so hard that they permanently damage their body or risk their future health .... Geddy was pushed to sing some songs, and it is what gave Rush they identity ..

You don't share every fans opinion. Rush never lost there identity. But not every cool kid grows into the adult many might expect them too. Rush grew out of one phase and into another. They love all that they did. Their identity is more than a sound, something you miss out on because you refuse to accept what they turned into is what they were always going to be. Which is themselves, exploring new avenues, whether you like it or not.

Edited by Segue Myles

You don't share every fans opinion. Rush never lost there identity. But not every cool kid grows into the adult many might expect them too. Rush grew out of one phase and into another. They love all that they did. Their identity is more than a sound, something you miss out on because you refuse to accept what they turned into is what they were always going to be. Which is themselves, exploring new avenues, whether you like it or not.

Point taken, however, I was responding to the criticism of Terry Brown for his supposed pushing of Geddy to sing out of his range - which I feel is total BS

;)

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/images/books/international-musician-07.1984/international-musician-07.1984-1.jpg

Point taken, however, I was responding to the criticism of Terry Brown for his supposed pushing of Geddy to sing out of his range - which I feel is total BS

I agree...wasn't it because they recorded the album in the wrong key and Geddy amazingly was able to step up to the challenge?

And Terry Brown had nothing to blame for Signals. That album is mostly poo.

• Like 1

;)

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/images/books/international-musician-07.1984/international-musician-07.1984-1.jpg

OH don't get me wrong I believe Signals is suckage

• Like 2

I am having a hard time believing that Neil had an issue with the drum sound on Permanent Waves - it make zero sense, unless he is so absorbed in something other than the incredible dynamic between how the bass and drums sound together ..

Terry Brown, to blame

Neil, without Terry Brown

• Like 3

I agree and I'm not talking about the whole album I'm talking about the extremely high parts that he sang that could have been done lower.

Either that, or he could have just written a different melody that fit his voice better, somewhere in between. If I were Terry I would have encouraged that.

One thing about Rush that's always bothered me, much as I love them: so many of the vocal melodies just echo the bass or guitar riff. Maybe that's just the logical thing to do, but FFS if it's too high then WRITE A NEW F"""N MELODY. It's not THAT hard.

• Like 1

I've stayed away from this thread for fear of making a tired, cheap joke, but I can no longer resist. The best thing I can say about Presto is that it's never bitten me in the *ss, and I've never choked on it. Might happen some day though; I wouldn't put it that past it.