Vocally, what do you think were Geddy Lee's best and worst concerts?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#41 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21752 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 03 June 2016 - 02:47 AM

View PostLorraine, on 02 June 2016 - 12:01 PM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 22 May 2016 - 03:37 AM, said:

View Postblueschica, on 21 May 2016 - 07:58 PM, said:

There is an interview on YouTube where he talks about it also (I'm sorry I don't remember which one.) Geddy says he knew he had to get his ear drum punctured, but there was only one Dr. he trusted to do it, so he had to travel to Montreal to get it done. The interview is years later but I still felt really bad for him!

It's bad enough to have strep throat but to have to have something like that done too sounds nasty. Poor Geddy.

Reading about what he said happened, I know it's too late now, but I wondered if it might have helped him a lot if they had just canceled the rest of the tour until a later date in order to give him more time to heal.  I think going right back out to do Europe might have done irreparable damage.    The infection he had sounded very bad from the way he described it.

It does make you wonder. Strep is a nasty bug. It just seems like his voice wasn't the same afterwards.

Sponsored Post

#42 Eel Yddeg

Eel Yddeg

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 521 posts
  • Interests:Many

Posted 03 June 2016 - 03:28 PM

I didn't really notice much of a big shift in 2011. Sounded pretty consistent with before. His voice turned into it's present state around 2007-2008 or so, IMO.

#43 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21752 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 03 June 2016 - 09:36 PM

View PostEel Yddeg, on 03 June 2016 - 03:28 PM, said:

I didn't really notice much of a big shift in 2011. Sounded pretty consistent with before. His voice turned into it's present state around 2007-2008 or so, IMO.

There was a huge difference during the Time Machine tour.  He sounded pretty good on the first half but after that the yodeling really got bad.

#44 Eel Yddeg

Eel Yddeg

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 03:31 PM

View PostLorraine, on 02 June 2016 - 11:58 AM, said:

View PostEel Yddeg, on 01 June 2016 - 05:31 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 17 May 2016 - 07:27 PM, said:

I agree that he had good nights and bad nights during the tour but Toronto wasn't as bad as some of them.

What ones were worse, in your opinion? He sounded TERRIBLE in Toronto, IMO.

Another gig where he wasn't really so good was the final show at the LA Forum. It was the last night, and it SHOWED.

I thought he sounded pretty good in the final show.  

In my opinion,  he was sounded worse the first Toronto night and they made a lot of mistakes that night too including Geddy messing up the intro to Subdivisions.

What shows do you think were his best and worst on the R40 tour?
For best, I'd say New Orleans, Greensboro, and Denver.
For worst, i'd say Toronto and LA Forum.

#45 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42085 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 02:50 PM

View PostEel Yddeg, on 04 June 2016 - 03:31 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 02 June 2016 - 11:58 AM, said:

View PostEel Yddeg, on 01 June 2016 - 05:31 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 17 May 2016 - 07:27 PM, said:

I agree that he had good nights and bad nights during the tour but Toronto wasn't as bad as some of them.

What ones were worse, in your opinion? He sounded TERRIBLE in Toronto, IMO.

Another gig where he wasn't really so good was the final show at the LA Forum. It was the last night, and it SHOWED.

I thought he sounded pretty good in the final show.  

In my opinion,  he was sounded worse the first Toronto night and they made a lot of mistakes that night too including Geddy messing up the intro to Subdivisions.

What shows do you think were his best and worst on the R40 tour?
For best, I'd say New Orleans, Greensboro, and Denver.
For worst, i'd say Toronto and LA Forum.

I'd have to listen to all of them again.  The only one I've listened to a lot is Tulsa, and I think he sounded well that night  

What do you base on how well he sounded?  Aside from your ears?  :lol:

Edited by Lorraine, 06 June 2016 - 02:51 PM.

#46 Eel Yddeg

Eel Yddeg

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 03:05 PM

How well he sounds. If he sings the songs cleanly, with good tone, and minimal yodeling, that's good. If he has bad tone, doesn't sing cleanly, and yodels his way through the songs, that's bad.

#47 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42085 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 03:09 PM

View PostEel Yddeg, on 06 June 2016 - 03:05 PM, said:

How well he sounds. If he sings the songs cleanly, with good tone, and minimal yodeling, that's good. If he has bad tone, doesn't sing cleanly, and yodels his way through the songs, that's bad.

I'll listen to them again later this week and let you know.

#48 fraroc

fraroc

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2457 posts
  • Interests:Rock music, roller coasters, aviation, writing novels,

Posted 11 July 2016 - 07:39 PM

Geddy always sounds unique compared to other singers no matter what decade. The "yodelling" gives a lot more emotion in his voice, especially during tunes like Red Sector A.

#49 fraroc

fraroc

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2457 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 07:44 PM

The only time he ever sounds bad is when he's sick, like during the Time Machine Cleveland show where his nasal passages clearly sounded plugged up.

#50 Brucey

Brucey

Babycat's Nemesis

• Members *
  • 8888 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 09:34 PM

I think I'm the one weirdo who thinks he sounded quite good on the Time Machine concert! Granted, he did sound a tad crappy on some of the older stuff.

#51 fraroc

fraroc

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2457 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 08:27 AM

Honestly....I really think "yodeling" is the wrong word to describe his voice nowadays. I'd describe it more as "voice spiking" because that's basically whats happening, his voice spikes really high for just a mere moment before singing the high notes.

#52 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21752 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 12:22 AM

View Postfraroc, on 14 July 2016 - 08:27 AM, said:

Honestly....I really think "yodeling" is the wrong word to describe his voice nowadays. I'd describe it more as "voice spiking" because that's basically whats happening, his voice spikes really high for just a mere moment before singing the high notes.

Technically his voice is breaking. Like when an adolescent boys voice is changing. Yodeling is the closest thing to compare it to.

#53 Eel Yddeg

Eel Yddeg

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 04:02 PM

About his voice on since the Time Machine Tour, I actually feel it's his best voice since the Roll The Bones tour! The Counterparts tour had lots of cringeworthy concerts, the TFE tour, and especially the Vapor Trails and R30 tour, had a very dominant nasal tone, The Snakes and Arrows tour had some of that left. The only songs on the R40 tour that sounded consistently bad were Temples of Syrinx and Anthem. His voice now is much lower and richer than from 1996-2004, and he doesn't go for notes he would usually miss (Temples D5s, Xanadu D5s) and songs that he often struggled with, like Freewill and By-Tor, have been dropped from the set. Yodeling can sometimes be too much (Closer To The Heart from Toronto) and sometimes he uses too much "old-man vibrato", but other than that, great!

Edited by Eel Yddeg, 16 July 2016 - 04:08 PM.

#54 Eel Yddeg

Eel Yddeg

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 11:37 AM

Here's Rush live tours ranked from best to worst
Drive 'Til You Die Tour (His absolute vocal peak, incredible tone, power, control, range, nails every song every night, some gigs marred by sickness)
All The World's A Stage Tour (The first few shows are among his best ones ever, and most are good, but some are marred by him trying to sing more masculine)
2112 Tour (Not enough bootlegs to tell, but the ones we have are excellent)
Rush Tour (Much more uncontrolled and raw, sometimes doesn't even sound like singing, but great on the whole)
Fly By Night Tour (Roughly the same, but not enough bootlegs)
Down The Tubes Tour (Only 1 low quality bootleg, probably the same)
Tour Of The Nadars/New World Tour (His best post 70s tour, can still sing high, and with more power than Hemispheres-MP, showcases his lower tone well)
Hemispheres Tour (High range sounds much weaker, but some good shows)
Moving Pictures Tour (Mid-range sounds top-notch, but high range is very weak and airy)
Exit Stage Left Tour (Roughly the same)
Permanent Waves Tour (Same, but worse)
Roll The Bones Tour (Put above due to great performances of songs like Subdivisions and Xanadu)
Presto Tour (Ditto)
GUP Warm-up/Grace Under Pressure Tour (Roughly the same as his other post Signals tours, but has more high range)
Second Tour Of The Nadars/Power Windows Tour (A typical '80s tour)
Hold Your Fire Tour (Same, but really struggles on some songs)
Counterparts Tour (Many bad gigs put this below)
R40 Tour (His best post 1994 tour, showcases his lower, richer voice, and he pulls off very demanding songs well, yodeling is sometimes an issue, but not much)
Clockwork Angels Tour (Put lower due to less demanding songs)
Time Machine Tour (Same, but cringeworthy Freewill)
Test For Echo Tour (Nasal-ness creeps in, but not as bad as follow-ups)
Snakes and Arrows Tour (Put lower due to his weaker, nasal sound on the early shows)
R30 Tour (Same problems as VT, but has some good performances from time to time)
Vapor Trails Tour (His absolute low point, very nasal, weak, whiny, goes for notes he can't hit)
How would you rank them?

Edited by Eel Yddeg, 17 July 2016 - 11:38 AM.

#55 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42085 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 06:39 PM

Eel, I don't know how you keep that all straight in your mind.

I thought he sounded really good on the VT tour, and it was the last time he ever sounded that good.   What makes you say it was his absolute low point?

I still have to listen to my R40 bootlegs and get back to you.

#56 Eel Yddeg

Eel Yddeg

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 09:14 PM

The Vapor Trails tour sounded really bad. His voice, especially when he went high, was very nasal, weak, and whiny, and his tone was terrible. It seems like he was using that more nasal tone to prevent yodeling, but he shouldn't have bothered. Also, he often went far outside his vocal reaches, such as in "By-Tor" and "2112".

#57 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42085 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 12:02 PM

View PostEel Yddeg, on 21 July 2016 - 09:14 PM, said:

The Vapor Trails tour sounded really bad. His voice, especially when he went high, was very nasal, weak, and whiny, and his tone was terrible. It seems like he was using that more nasal tone to prevent yodeling, but he shouldn't have bothered. Also, he often went far outside his vocal reaches, such as in "By-Tor" and "2112".

How do your ears pick all of this stuff up?

#58 bordercollie

bordercollie

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 651 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 05:16 PM

He's just a 14 year-old kid spouting off rubbish.

#59 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42085 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 07:02 PM

View Postbordercollie, on 23 July 2016 - 05:16 PM, said:

He's just a 14 year-old kid spouting off rubbish.

Who is?  Eel?

#60 bordercollie

bordercollie

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 651 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 11:14 PM

Yes.  This kid is a clown to put it nicely.  He has absolutely no room to be critiquing any vocalist.  He posts at a message board called The Range Place by the name of Fetty Mercury.  He posted several clips of him, ummmm.... "singing" various Rush tunes.  He has no concept of pitch, enunciation, correct lyrics, singing in time, or anything related to the art of singing.  :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users