Captain Beyond! The missing link of progressive rock? Or just a gem of a band who should've made it?

Entre_Perpetuo

I recently ran into an obscure old prog rock band on iTunes and listened to their debut album (s/t, 1972) with my dad. I have to say, Captain Beyond is out of this world awesome!!! With a vocalist straight from Skynnard or Molly Hatchet, guitars somewhere between Zeppelin and Yes, great bass, and a drummer in a snare filled class of his very own, these guys so should've made it. As far as I'm concerned, they could've been the great American prog band, America's response to the original English prog classics, rather than early AOR bands (i.e. Styx , Journey, REO Speedwagon) and going right along with Kansas. Why did they fall by the wayside? Why didn't they make it? What are your thoughts on them?
  • Like 1

Are you kidding me? I have 4 different versions of the debut album, still have the original vinyl with the 3d cover ( try finding that). Sufficiently breathless is also killer.3rd album ( Dawn Explosion) has a change in lead vocalist but is still a solid album.( check out Evil men) truly under rated gems,
  • Like 2

Only familiar with the first album. Lee Dorman from Iron Butterfly, Rod Evans from Deep Purple... it's a supergroup. Great album.