Riverside guitarist Piotr Grudziński has died at age 40

Presto-digitation

My wife mentioned the idea of a final Riverside album that pays tribute to him (maybe have stone folks like Steven Wilson playing a role, seeing Duda and Wilson have teamed for a fallen mutual friend once before). I thought that might be fitting if they decide to end the band.

The guys have been working on a new material already. On March 1, Piotr was scheduled to start recording his guitars. I am not quite sure how much they have completed but a new album seems quite a possibility in my books.

It's already a week and I'm still devastated by this news, honestly. I have seen them 9 times live and many many more when some of them came as audience (I live in the same town). The bottom line, I have seen guys more frequently than some of my good friends. And I love each of their albums, in no small part thanks to the guitars. Thus Piotr's passing is more tangible to me than other greats' deaths in many years. It's no easier considering how unanimously Pior is quoted as a 'warm guy', the one who helped glue the band and turn it to a family rather than a workplace.

Edited by marb1984
  • Like 2

His bandmates need to process this each for themselves. Here on the outside, let's see what happens as time eventually heals and the guys begin to move on.

On behalf of the family and our own we would like to thank everyone for the support and your presence in those difficult moments. Piotr passed away unexpectedly of natural causes (sudden cardiac arrest) on Sunday morning (21st February). We have remained with emptiness and open wounds which need time to heal. For obvious reasons we have decided to cancel all concerts confirmed for this year. At the same time we would like to inform you that we are going to carry out this year releases scheduled for late spring and autumn 2016.

Thank you for your support.

• Like 2

Saw this on FB a few days ago.

Dear Friends,

We'd like to thank you again for your friendship and support throughout this most tragic time for us and we'd like to officially announce that we have made a decision about our future.

We have decided that we are not going to do a casting for a new guitarist. Thus we have ceased to be a quartet and have become a trio. In this line-up we will prepare our new studio album. Both in the recording studio and on tour - if we get back to touring - we will be playing with session guitarists, who are our friends, whom we know and like. But the line-up of Riverside will be as shown in the picture.

Yes, we do realise that this is not going to be the same band. We know that for many of you the story of Riverside ends here, this year, and that "Eye of the Soundscape" might be the last Riverside album you'll buy. We know that some of you can't imagine this band without the characteristic guitar of Piotr Grudziński and for you Riverside has ceased to exist. But our story is not over yet; with a flaw, with a scar, with a wealth of new experiences, we have decided to go on.

We know stories of many bands that have survived and have been successful, in spite of all. And we want to be the living proof that giving up is not an option and that we can be an inspiration for others, too. For as long as we can, we'll continue to do our best to create and meet with you wherever the emotions are running high. Grudzień will still be with us. We are definitely not going to forget him. He's a part of our lives. But in order for the memory of him to survive, we have to continue. And we want to. So we're embarking on another journey and we are thankful to everyone who will join us.

Our plans for the nearest future?

Next year we're going to start working on a new album. Marked by the circumstances, it will probably be a return to heavier and more intense sound. But before that, in February 2017, on the anniversary of Piotr's death, we'd like to play our first gig. A very special gig which will be an exceptional event. We'd like to play it with guests, with friends, for Piotr, for us. And for you. We'd like our music to be the hero of that day, we'd like to let it speak for itself. We'll give you more details about it in the coming weeks.

The river will never be the same again but it doesn't mean it has to stop flowing.

Best regards,

Mariusz Duda, Piotr Kozieradzki, Michał Łapaj

http://www.riversideband.pl/en/

• Like 2

That's a shame in one sense because if they don't have a regular guitarist it won't seem as much like a cohesive unit if that makes sense. I hope they change their mind and decide to pick someone. I really like this band a lot and I hope they can keep going on.

Well Duda does play acoustic guitar, so I would imagine this will be a little like Porcupine Tree (somewhat) where whatever he can't handle will be done by studio player(s).

I asked John Wesley (of PT fame) if asked by Riverside to be their guitarist would he consider it and he said he would, so I wouldn't at all be shocked to see him at least guest spot on a Riverside album. Marillion, PT, Wesley (solo), Riverside...they're all pretty tight with one another. Steve Rothary is another. He would do some fantastic work with Riverside. Wesley and PT are close with Lifeson, so even that's a possibility. Wilson himself. These guys play on each other's stuff all the time...

My dream is that Steven Wilson either produces a Riverside record or does a FULL ALBUM project with Duda.

Edited by Presto-digitation
  • Like 3

My dream is that Steven Wilson either produces a Riverside record or does a FULL ALBUM project with Duda.

As they say, when one door closes another opens. I doubt Duda is going to go out quietly, if anything my experience with loss is it makes you cherish what you can do in life just that much more.

I also doubt Piotr would want the band to disband because of his death. Any self respecting person would want their bandmates to go out there and write the best damn music they ever have in your honor.
  • Like 3

Their instrumental stuff is okayish. I rarely play the bonus disc with Shrine... because it's plodding and not nearly as interesting as their other compositions. I applaud their willingness to do things like this though, and maybe with enough tracks/practice they'll stumble on a few good instrumental ideas. I just haven't heard one from them yet.

Edited by stoopid

Their instrumental stuff is okayish. I rarely play the bonus disc with Shrine... because it's plodding and not nearly as interesting as their other compositions. I applaud their willingness to do things like this though, and maybe with enough tracks/practice they'll stumble on a few good instrumental ideas. I just haven't heard one from them yet.

It's okay, you're allowed to be wrong. Once. Then it's on you ;) :D

I love the Night Sessions disc. Try listening to it on headphones in the early hours with the lights down. It's bloody marvellous.

Edited by willowroolz