Rush Have They Ever Played Whisky A Go Go In Los Angeles?

robertrobyn

I know this has been talked about a million times before, so I will stand still (without even flinching) while someone kicks me in the onions... But - I sometimes cannot believe the difference between the first Rush and - all the rest of them. Neil really helped the boys switch gears. This recording at the Whiskey sounds pretty juvenile. Then, just a few short weeks later - enter By Tor. Crazy!

I know this has been talked about a million times before, so I will stand still (without even flinching) while someone kicks me in the onions... But - I sometimes cannot believe the difference between the first Rush and - all the rest of them. Neil really helped the boys switch gears. This recording at the Whiskey sounds pretty juvenile. Then, just a few short weeks later - enter By Tor. Crazy!

Agreed. All you have to do is listen to the drumming and you can tell NP is drumming. Part of evolution!!! Edited by robertrobyn
  • Like 1

I wonder, if during those first few weeks, Neil was secretly wondering what the hell he got himself into... "This crap is pretty basic. I hope these guys improve soon!" Apparently, they did...
  • Like 1

I wonder, if during those first few weeks, Neil was secretly wondering what the hell he got himself into... "This crap is pretty basic. I hope these guys improve soon!" Apparently, they did...

He helped to accelerate the process. That's for sure.

I just listened to some of it again today... the Whiskey show. I can't believe HOW high Geddy was singing back then. No wonder why some people didn't like Rush back then. Fly By Night was much more of an easier listen for casual fans.

I love listening to shows in those early days. There was always more time between songs as there were no electronic tuners back then. You can hear Alex using harmonic tuning between songs on this one. Great recording!
  • Like 2