Vinyl on HBO

Disembodied Spirit

Anyone else watching this new show on HBO called Vinyl?

It is set in the Early 1970's about a major record label. The 1st show was directed by Martin Scorsese.

I have watched it twice and not sure if I like it or hate it.

They mix REAL acts (Led Zep) with fictitious ones, so you have to play along. Great actors, and funny in parts.

Be cool if Rush gets a mention.

Might give it a chance, just seeing if anyone else saw it yet. 1st show aired on 2-14

It is set in the Early 1970's about a major record label. The 1st show was directed by Martin Scorsese.

They mix REAL acts (Led Zep) with fictitious ones, so you have to play along. Great actors, and funny in parts.

Might give it a chance, just seeing if anyone else saw it yet. 1st show aired on 2-14

If Rush gets a mention, I don't suspect it'll be a positive one seeing as prog acts like Yes, Jethro Tull, and ELP are absolutely skewered as anti-rock'n'roll.

This is a show that I should absolutely love...it has all of the ingredients there for me.

But I have found it to be an extreme chore to get through the first 3 hours of the series. I'm sticking with it in the hopes that a character or plot element I actually care about will be presented.

• Like 1

If Rush gets a mention, I don't suspect it'll be a positive one seeing as prog acts like Yes, Jethro Tull, and ELP are absolutely skewered as anti-rock'n'roll.

This is a show that I should absolutely love...it has all of the ingredients there for me.

But I have found it to be an extreme chore to get through the first 3 hours of the series. I'm sticking with it in the hopes that a character or plot element I actually care about will be presented.

same here, we didn't even get all the way through the pilot. might try to watch a few more episodes in the hope it will get better, but i'm skeptical.

i doubt that rush will get even a negative mention, i don't think they're important enough one way or the other to the establishment that is being portrayed in the series.

• Like 1

Like I said, this show is hard to like.

Most of us here are music historians/ snobs/ etc...but the show seems scatterbrained to me?

The people are hard to like, everyone so obnoxious, which is the business side of music, i understand that,

but after 2 episodes I am already dreading the 3rd.

I think HBO will bail on this, it is not relatable enough for mainstream folks.

Would not be surprised if this gets cancelled after 1 season.

Most of us here are music historians/ snobs/ etc...but the show seems scatterbrained to me?

The people are hard to like, everyone so obnoxious, which is the business side of music, i understand that,

Already renewed for a second season.

• Like 1

Already renewed for a second season.

Wow Scorsese and Jagger have some pull.

Well I'll keep up with it. Then

I watched the pilot when it first aired. I fell asleep through the first attempt, but watched again, and made it through. It is a weird show, as I am not familiar with the business side of music. That's really the only reason that I'm watching it. Plus, I was a baby in the 70s, so I just like to see how life was then(no cell phones, smoking in public, using pencil and paper instead of keyboards, etc.)

I think it's funny hearing Ray Romano curse, and I love his unique voice, but they're overplaying him for his celebrity.

*spoiler alert* I loved it when that band literally "brought the house down." Lol. They really screwed over that black guy. Pissed me off, especially the main character screwing over Led Zepplin. What an idiot!

I've got the second episode recorded.

Yeah I really like Romano in this role. Very different for him.

Loved seeing Dice Clay in a dramatic role in the pilot. Never seen Blue Jasmine but I hear he's shockingly good and against type.

I just hope Canavale's character doesn't badmouth :rush: like he did to ELP and Yes. Funny, since Mercury is a pre Universal merger Polygram label.

Edited by invisible airwave

The dynamic that has been briefly touched on is musical styles. In the 1970's record labels were all over the map...Hard Rock, Teeny bop, the beginning of punk, southern rock, and thats why everyone got signed. Plus this is Pre disco, so the Donny Osmond part from Ep 1 was hilarious.

I like when they were playing Jethro Tull in a flute solo and Ritchie went "WTF is this shit?"....

Again if you ever had contact with record industry business people, they are all dicks. I worked on the retail side in the 80's and 90's and everyone of them..ALL of them are pretentious dicks. It is in their DNA

It's nowhere near the greatness of Boardwalk Empire, but I like it so far.

Dan LeBetard said of the pilot that Scorsese had 45 minutes of material covering two hours.

I been working, I have wait to get home to see this...Are u saying we get Wilde Bush???

I been working, I have wait to get home to see this...Are u saying we get Wilde Bush???

Yes, and the cameras stay on her for A LONG TIME. As a dude, I just gotta say what a beautiful body she has, although I don't really like the character she plays. Watching "House, M.D." for years, I never thought I'd see her nude. Lol

Obviously, I'm continuing to watch the show, but it's VERY SLOW in developing, and I'm only sticking with it as an attempt to understand how the 70s really were.

• Like 1

The dynamic that has been briefly touched on is musical styles. In the 1970's record labels were all over the map...Hard Rock, Teeny bop, the beginning of punk, southern rock, and thats why everyone got signed. Plus this is Pre disco, so the Donny Osmond part from Ep 1 was hilarious.

I like when they were playing Jethro Tull in a flute solo and Ritchie went "WTF is this shit?"....

Again if you ever had contact with record industry business people, they are all dicks. I worked on the retail side in the 80's and 90's and everyone of them..ALL of them are pretentious dicks. It is in their DNA

If what you say, and what the show portrays are accurate, I know understand why musicians have always had the attitude that they have. I don't blame them one bit.
  • Like 1

Record labels form musicians into dicks most of the time.

Look at The Nasty Bits on the show, get signed and label tells the singers..Other band members have to go..They suck

Plenty of artists made a 1,2 or 3 records then and had members replaced......for varying reasons, but record label played a more important role than history remembers.

Pete Best, John Rutsey, Paul Dianno, Pete Willis...to name a few, were replaced for various public reasons....

In each case they were replaced by a MORE talented musician...I think this was an ode to this philosophy of bands and labels

I finally watched the premiere on On Demand and, I gotta say, it wasn't very good. Very cliched, incredibly predictable. Scorsese whiffed.

Does it get better?

I'm sticking with it, but I don't think it has gotten any better.

Like I said after Episode 1, A show where you do not care for the characters is always a hard watch.

I'm staying until the end of Season 1 just to see if there is any payoff.

• Like 1

I finished the season. I love the acting, love the nudity(lol), and love the music. The acting really is great, but the plot is way too slow. They need to step on the gas. Everything is sort of predictable, too.

I've read articles about this show, and no one is watching it (no episode got over 1 million viewers), so HBO is gonna make some changes, but this show probably won't be a long term success.

• Like 1

It's so good, I have the season finale on DVR since last Sunday, and can't force myself to watch it.

I agree HBO if they want to keep it going, has to change something. If they don't it will die during Season 2.

• Like 1