Official PGA Tour Thread

Lost In Xanadu

I have to admit I haven't watched much more than the majors the last few years. Could someone explain these WGC tournaments and how they relate (if at all) to the rest of the tour stops?

Thanks in advance.

As I recall, these came about as a result of a Greg Norman-driven attempt to start a sort of super-tournament series of global events featuring the best of the best. They are limited field events, with varying formats. During each event, there are competing second-tier PGA events (like Reno's Barracuda). They never rose to the level of the traditional majors, but the payouts are significant.
  • Like 2

I have to admit I haven't watched much more than the majors the last few years. Could someone explain these WGC tournaments and how they relate (if at all) to the rest of the tour stops?

Thanks in advance.

As I recall, these came about as a result of a Greg Norman-driven attempt to start a sort of super-tournament series of global events featuring the best of the best. They are limited field events, with varying formats. During each event, there are competing second-tier PGA events (like Reno's Barracuda). They never rose to the level of the traditional majors, but the payouts are significant.

Thanks! I remember the Norman idea, though I don't know why he'd want to have supertournaments, four times a year to choke wasn't enough?

• Like 1

Thanks in advance.

Thanks! I remember the Norman idea, though I don't know why he'd want to have supertournaments, four times a year to choke wasn't enough?

:LOL:
  • Like 1

Just for the record I really enjoy the venue in Mexico. DJ is money btw. I don't care what anyone says he is the best driver of the golf ball in the world. Distance and accuracy to burn...
  • Like 1

Btw I will be headed down to Bay Hill for the week once again this year. Hoping the friendly confines of Bay Hill and their smooth Bermuda greens will fix El Tigre's putting woes. He sure is ironing it great...
  • Like 2

Not sure if it's a coincidence but it seems the "lesser" PGA tour events with typically weaker fields all need some kind of gimmick. If I hear Bear Trap one more time I may throw up. PGA National is just in general a tough track...smh

Not sure if it's a coincidence but it seems the "lesser" PGA tour events with typically weaker fields all need some kind of gimmick. If I hear Bear Trap one more time I may throw up. PGA National is just in general a tough track...smh

:LOL:

One of the beautiful things about golf is when a 56 year old can take on 20 something's on a level playing field. My opinion generally is that there is a reason why it's so rare when anyone north of 50 has won a tour event. Never been a big Vijay fan but you gotta give it up that the guy works his @ss off. Love the crosshanded chipping also...

Thanks for the heads-up, Narps! I had no idea about this, and I am a big Vijay fan. It was great to read about it...

"What Vijay Singh (56!) did at the Honda Classic was both incredible and inspiring"

https://www.golf.com/news/columns/2019/03/04/vijay-singh-honda-classic-incredible-inspiring/amp/

"The Big Fijian (talk about a literal nickname) won his first big event, the Volvo Open in Italy, in 1989. And 30 years later, here he was, still at it, playing in the last group of the day, just as Watson did in that Open. Amazing. Singh’s Sunday playing partner, Wyndham Clark, is 25 years old. Singh shot a Sunday 70, starting the day where he finished, six under par. Clark shot 72. The first-time winner, Keith Mitchell, 27, shot nine under..."

I don't think that the Bear Trap is a gimmick at all. It is simply one of the toughest stretches of holes on the PGA tour. Just because it has a nickname doesn't make it a gimmick. I wonder if some of the top names skip the Honda because of the difficulty? Wouldn't shock me if they did.

I don't think that the Bear Trap is a gimmick at all. It is simply one of the toughest stretches of holes on the PGA tour. Just because it has a nickname doesn't make it a gimmick. I wonder if some of the top names skip the Honda because of the difficulty? Wouldn't shock me if they did.

I realize it's a tough stretch of holes but the majority of the course is a tough stretch of holes. Just my opinion that they spend too much time harping on it similar to 16 at Waste Management etc...
  • Like 1

Headed to Bay Hill in a couple days. Super bummer that Tiger withdrew. If I hadn't already followed him for 18 holes 9 rounds in the past I would really be bummed. I'll certainly be able to see and get closer to the action this year. Glass half full...
  • Like 1

Headed to Bay Hill in a couple days. Super bummer that Tiger withdrew. If I hadn't already followed him for 18 holes 9 rounds in the past I would really be bummed. I'll certainly be able to see and get closer to the action this year. Glass half full...

Did you ever go to a tournament where Arnie played?

No unfortunately. The first PGA Tour event I ever attended was the Kemper Open in 85' when it was at Congressional CC and attended many times when it moved to TPC Avenel. I went the first time and the other times to follow Payne Stewart around for 18 holes. Arnie was done by then and with the exception of the 86' Masters Jack was pretty much on the way out too. I do remember distinctly one year Payne was playing with Ray Floyd which was pretty cool. Floyd was probably in his early 40's at the time but I recall he was still moving it out there off the tee. I never saw Jack( my first favorite golfer) play in person which is the reason I went to Greensboro in 2015 to see Tiger play 4 rounds for the first time. He was having big injury problems at the time and of course since and I figured it my be the only chance I would ever get to see him play in person....
  • Like 1

No unfortunately. The first PGA Tour event I ever attended was the Kemper Open in 85' when it was at Congressional CC and attended many times when it moved to TPC Avenel. I went the first time and the other times to follow Payne Stewart around for 18 holes. Arnie was done by then and with the exception of the 86' Masters Jack was pretty much on the way out too. I do remember distinctly one year Payne was playing with Ray Floyd which was pretty cool. Floyd was probably in his early 40's at the time but I recall he was still moving it out there off the tee. I never saw Jack( my first favorite golfer) play in person which is the reason I went to Greensboro in 2015 to see Tiger play 4 rounds for the first time. He was having big injury problems at the time and of course since and I figured it my be the only chance I would ever get to see him play in person....

I actually did, in about 1974 or 1975 at the Western Open. He missed the cut, I believe, and we never really did get close to him. Jack was only playing about 15 tournaments a year by then and the Western wasn't one of them. Watson was the biggest competitive name at that point, but the most amazing thing to me at the time was that guys you'd never heard of could hit incredibly difficult shots.

Trevino did play there in other years as well.

• Like 2

I actually did, in about 1974 or 1975 at the Western Open. He missed the cut, I believe, and we never really did get close to him. Jack was only playing about 15 tournaments a year by then and the Western wasn't one of them. Watson was the biggest competitive name at that point, but the most amazing thing to me at the time was that guys you'd never heard of could hit incredibly difficult shots.

Petty sure the Western Open is where Trevino got struck by lightning and his back problems started. I don't think it was at Cog Hill back then though. When Tiger was winning the Western it was though. Dubsdread course I think. I miss that venue. Cool course...
  • Like 2

I looked it up because I always have to make sure I'm right lol. Trevino was struck in 75' at the Western Open at Butler National...
  • Like 1

Petty sure the Western Open is where Trevino got struck by lightning and his back problems started. I don't think it was at Cog Hill back then though. When Tiger was winning the Western it was though. Dubsdread course I think. I miss that venue. Cool course...

I was here...

20971127121235er.jpg

I know I followed Bob Hope around for a while...

Edited by goose
  • Like 2

I was here...

20971127121235er.jpg

I know I followed Bob Hope around for a while...

Those were the days. My parents loved some Andy Williams...
  • Like 1

I looked it up because I always have to make sure I'm right lol. Trevino was struck in 75' at the Western Open at Butler National...

Later, he said he should have taken his 1 iron and raised it to the sky because "not even God could hit a 1 iron."

• Like 2

Later, he said he should have taken his 1 iron and raised it to the sky because "not even God could hit a 1 iron."

Yep lol. One of the most quoted of all time. I have a set of vintage blades that goes up to 3 iron. I can't even imagine hitting an old school 1 iron like that. You had better "middle" it or it would reverberate up to your shoulders...
  • Like 2

We had a great week at Bay Hill. I followed Kevin Kisner and whomever he was playing with each day for all 72 holes. I also watched Bryson quite a bit. Followed Phil and Brooks the first 2 days(they missed the cut). We walked 44.3 miles over the 4 days. Saturday being the biggest at 12 miles. We followed Byson and Tyrell Hatton for their 18 in the morning and Kisner and Roger Sloan for their afternoon 18. Pretty exhausting 4 days to be honest. At this point I plan on going to the Charlotte event for 4 days in May. I just love watching the pro's play... Edited by Narps
  • Like 2

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/the-science-behind-why-the-flagstick-should-be-pulled-999-percent-of-the-time

Haven't read it yet but here's an article on some science behind whether to leave the flag in or out while putting.

My guess is that the psychological aspects are more important for the average golfer than the pure physical science aspects.

Koepka laying it down today, posting a -7 63 to post the low score for day 1. Danny Lee one back at -6, and a gap between him and several other who sit at -3.

Tiger, Rory, Bubba, Sergio, and many others had a rough day.