Official PGA Tour Thread

Lost In Xanadu

It was just reported that the PGA Championship will move to May in 2019 (on the ESPN scroll). Maybe you already knew this but it was news to me. I think it worked where it already was but I guess being the "overlooked" major it was an extra burden also being the last...

Good grief the money grubbers...smh

I take it that's a thumbs down.

Maybe it's a shot at the TPC and its "fifth" major status. Isn't that played in May (or is it March?)

The Players used to be in March but has been on the May schedule for quite a few years now. I would bet you are on to something because I would consider The Players a much stronger field typically and a better tournament in general than the PGA. With being played in the "dog days" of August and the FedEx playoffs looming the PGA has no juice and gets lost in the shuffle. It rarely excites me and I'm sure many other die hard golf fans feel the same...

I get it but there have been some classics like Daly winning as a 5th qualifier (or was it more?) and the incredible battle between Tiger and Bob May.

Agreed but most years it feels at least to me like a glorified regular PGA Tour event. The fact that there are 20 PGA club pro's in the event doesn't help either. This waters down the field quite a bit and takes spots away from touring pro's that could actually win the thing. Having said that depending on how the leaderboard shapes up for the weekend I may or may not watch...

Your comments are interesting in light of the fact that announcers always (at least they used to) said that the PGA had the best field of all of the majors. Maybe it was hype but the point was made frequently.

It was just reported that the PGA Championship will move to May in 2019 (on the ESPN scroll). Maybe you already knew this but it was news to me. I think it worked where it already was but I guess being the "overlooked" major it was an extra burden also being the last...

Good grief the money grubbers...smh

I take it that's a thumbs down.

Maybe it's a shot at the TPC and its "fifth" major status. Isn't that played in May (or is it March?)

The Players used to be in March but has been on the May schedule for quite a few years now. I would bet you are on to something because I would consider The Players a much stronger field typically and a better tournament in general than the PGA. With being played in the "dog days" of August and the FedEx playoffs looming the PGA has no juice and gets lost in the shuffle. It rarely excites me and I'm sure many other die hard golf fans feel the same...

I get it but there have been some classics like Daly winning as a 5th qualifier (or was it more?) and the incredible battle between Tiger and Bob May.

Agreed but most years it feels at least to me like a glorified regular PGA Tour event. The fact that there are 20 PGA club pro's in the event doesn't help either. This waters down the field quite a bit and takes spots away from touring pro's that could actually win the thing. Having said that depending on how the leaderboard shapes up for the weekend I may or may not watch...

Your comments are interesting in light of the fact that announcers always (at least they used to) said that the PGA had the best field of all of the majors. Maybe it was hype but the point was made frequently.

Oh I've heard that and as far as majors go it may be true as the others are watered down in other ways. The Players has a stronger field than any of them...
  • Like 1

Is anyone watching the Barracuda? I'm not, is this the same as the International with the Stableford scoring system?

In any case, there's a scroll on the baseball game with the results from the tournament. Apparently, Brian Gay and Ricky Pride are two of those tied for 14th at +23.

Not that there's anything wrong with that... :syrinx:

:LOL:

There were four holes in one at the Barracuda this year.

I'll be the last one out on the limb when I say that Phil is all done.

Really, Phil? +11? :eh:

Hey, Narps. Your man Kisner is in the lead at -5!

My boy is hanging on tooth and nail through 3 rounds. Tough finish today but the last 3 are tough for everyone apparently. Hope he plays well tomorrow...
  • Like 1

My boy is hanging on tooth and nail through 3 rounds. Tough finish today but the last 3 are tough for everyone apparently. Hope he plays well tomorrow...

I didn't see any of it today, but scores suggest that the course was playing tough. Saturday's supposed to be moving day, but it seems folks moved in the wrong direction.

Graham DeLaet with a -3 today. Beauty, eh?

I didn't see any of it today, but scores suggest that the course was playing tough. Saturday's supposed to be moving day, but it seems folks moved in the wrong direction.

Some bad shots by Rickie and others on the back 9, and one really bad decision by Jason Day. Way off to the right on 18, Day tries to hit a miracle hook shot out of the trees. He was rewarded with an 8, and he's now 7 shots back. :doh:

• Like 1

Love it when PGA announcers all but call Spieth the winner during the front 9, when he had a 5-shot lead.

Oh, wait! Spieth and Johnson are now TIED at -11! And they're both only 2 shots ahead after 10 holes! :LOL:

Love it when PGA announcers all but call Spieth the winner during the front 9, when he had a 5-shot lead.

Oh, wait! Spieth and Johnson are now TIED at -11! And they're both only 2 shots ahead after 10 holes! :LOL:

And we're going to extra innings!

• Like 1

Some clutch putting there...

• Like 1

Some clutch putting there...

If that ball had rimmed out on me, I would have tossed my cookies right on the green.

• Like 1

I know that i could look it up, but why do people post in the thread and not say who won? Trying to be cute i guess.

I think most people who post comments about a golf tournament are actually watching it as it happens, so they don't even think about posting who won.

• Like 2

Pretty good tourney going on at the Tour Championship. :)

Yep. Waiting for my boy to have a breakout round during these playoffs but it hasn't happened yet and may not. Since he didn't win the PGA he has been struggling to post any good scores. He's lurking at 4 under but needs a breakout round. Two more chances... Edited by Narps

Spieth just made a heck of a par to start his round, missing the fairway off the tee, to a greenside bunker from the rough, and a sand save up & down.

Johnson made double bogie.