Official PGA Tour Thread

Lost In Xanadu

It was a BORING tournament. Taking nothing away from Koepka as he punished the ball long and straight.

These guys are just too powerful and straight for a course with fairways as wide as runways.

So easy that the top three players in the world missed the cut?

The final round featured a showdown between a true long hitter and a more middle-of-the pack player in terms of length. The real factor was weather, which made for good scoring conditions, but the playres still had to make shots, which is what Koepke did. He even birdied the toughest scoring hole, a SHORT part 4 where he laid up to 155-60 yds and stuffed a choked down 8-iron.

These guys are good.

The best players in the world have off days too. I could state the reverse of that and say so easy that Xander Schauffele (who?) shot -10. And Trey Mullinax (who?) shot -8. And Eddie Pepperell (who?) shot -5 at the US Open.

These guys aren't good, they are great.

Trying to find the boring part in what you just described. Sounds pretty entertaining to me.

Hey, you're a 10hcp? We should play sometime.

Boring in that I like to see the US Open punish the players. Make them pay for errant shots. Grind it out. I want to see the winner collapse after the 72nd hole, not saunter to the clubhouse :)

But Koepke didn't hit an errant shot on Sunday. In fact, throughout the tourney, he played lights out:

That Koepka was able to make so many birdies at a U.S. Open is unusual, but it was also not surprising considering how many opportunities he gave himself on the Erin Hills golf course. Over four rounds, Koepka reached the green in regulation and had a birdie or eagle putt on 62 of the 72 holes.

...the last time a U.S. Open champ had as many birdie opportunities as Koepka did was Rory McIlroy in 2011 when he also shot 16-under and also found the greens in regulation 62 times over 72 holes.

http://www.businessi...s-greens-2017-6

True. But did those landing strip fairways give him the mental game to just bomb it and he took advantage of it. Would tighter fairways have made him (and the others) a wee bit more nervous when teeing off? Leading to errant shots.

To your point, here's more on the course's layout...

Let’s make clear that Erin Hills was far from perfect. Even if it had played firm and fast, the fairways were too wide. Koepka, who was seventh in driving distance with an average of 322 yards, also hit 88 percent of the fairways (4th in the field), an impressive statistical combination that allowed him to hit 62 of 72 greens in regulation, a phenomenal 86 percent that led all players.

Yes, it was very nice to see drivers come out. But it was obvious that slightly flared drives, a soft-landing miss that is a “safety shot” for the longest hitters, weren’t sufficiently punished.

But...

...really bad drives went into the extremely tall and thick fescue, which carried a much higher penalty than conventional U.S. Open rough, to the point of being virtually unplayable... Remarkably, that group included pre-tournament favorites and conspicuous bombers Dustin Johnson, Rory McIlroy, Jason Day, whose failure to make the cut marked the first time that had happened to the top three players in a major since the Official World Golf Ranking began in 1985.

It was a BORING tournament. Taking nothing away from Koepka as he punished the ball long and straight.

These guys are just too powerful and straight for a course with fairways as wide as runways.

So easy that the top three players in the world missed the cut?

The final round featured a showdown between a true long hitter and a more middle-of-the pack player in terms of length. The real factor was weather, which made for good scoring conditions, but the playres still had to make shots, which is what Koepke did. He even birdied the toughest scoring hole, a SHORT part 4 where he laid up to 155-60 yds and stuffed a choked down 8-iron.

These guys are good.

The best players in the world have off days too. I could state the reverse of that and say so easy that Xander Schauffele (who?) shot -10. And Trey Mullinax (who?) shot -8. And Eddie Pepperell (who?) shot -5 at the US Open.

These guys aren't good, they are great.

Trying to find the boring part in what you just described. Sounds pretty entertaining to me.

Hey, you're a 10hcp? We should play sometime.

Boring in that I like to see the US Open punish the players. Make them pay for errant shots. Grind it out. I want to see the winner collapse after the 72nd hole, not saunter to the clubhouse :)

But Koepke didn't hit an errant shot on Sunday. In fact, throughout the tourney, he played lights out:

That Koepka was able to make so many birdies at a U.S. Open is unusual, but it was also not surprising considering how many opportunities he gave himself on the Erin Hills golf course. Over four rounds, Koepka reached the green in regulation and had a birdie or eagle putt on 62 of the 72 holes.

...the last time a U.S. Open champ had as many birdie opportunities as Koepka did was Rory McIlroy in 2011 when he also shot 16-under and also found the greens in regulation 62 times over 72 holes.

http://www.businessi...s-greens-2017-6

True. But did those landing strip fairways give him the mental game to just bomb it and he took advantage of it. Would tighter fairways have made him (and the others) a wee bit more nervous when teeing off? Leading to errant shots.

Probably. Firmer conditions would have likely changed things, as well.

Traveler's Championship

Jordan Spieth chips in from the bunker to birdie 18 in sudden death. WINNER!! :haz: :haz:

Just a few minutes earlier, he chipped from the same bunker to get within 2 feet of the hole and force a playoff with Daniel Berger.

Spieth is the 2nd youngest player to win 10 PGA tournaments.

Traveler's Championship

Jordan Spieth chips in from the bunker to birdie 18 in sudden death. WINNER!! :haz: :haz:

Just a few minutes earlier, he chipped from the same bunker to get within 2 feet of the hole and force a playoff with Daniel Berger.

Spieth is the 2nd youngest player to win 10 PGA tournaments.

Great finish, and congrat's Spieth!

So, I was at a swim meet the entire weekend, but I spoke n the phone with my father and told me about Jordan Spieth's epic finish. Did anyone see it live?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/golf/2017/07/23/british-open-jordan-spieth-has-incredible-finish-win-title/502929001/

Jordan had to take an unplayable lie which led to him playing from the driving range. He managed a bogie, then went on perhaps the greatest four-hole run in major history: five under in the last four holes!

From the moment he finally hit his approach to the 13th from 235 yards, Spieth authored the latest chapter in his ever-growing legend. With remarkable brilliance, Spieth started doing Spieth things as he managed to make a miracle bogey on the 13th. He canned a “massive” putt from 7 feet and then summoned a red-number tear by going birdie-eagle-birdie-birdie to win the oldest championship in golf.

With a 1-under-par 69, Spieth, who turns 24 on Thursday, finished at 12 under and three shots clear of playing partner Matt Kuchar (69) to become the Champion Golfer of the Year. And he is now the second-youngest player to win the first three legs of the career grand slam, bested only by Jack Nicklaus.

• Like 2

So, I was at a swim meet the entire weekend, but I spoke n the phone with my father and told me about Jordan Spieth's epic finish. Did anyone see it live?

https://www.usatoday...itle/502929001/

Jordan had to take an unplayable lie which led to him playing from the driving range. He managed a bogie, then went on perhaps the greatest four-hole run in major history: five under in the last four holes!

From the moment he finally hit his approach to the 13th from 235 yards, Spieth authored the latest chapter in his ever-growing legend. With remarkable brilliance, Spieth started doing Spieth things as he managed to make a miracle bogey on the 13th. He canned a “massive” putt from 7 feet and then summoned a red-number tear by going birdie-eagle-birdie-birdie to win the oldest championship in golf.

With a 1-under-par 69, Spieth, who turns 24 on Thursday, finished at 12 under and three shots clear of playing partner Matt Kuchar (69) to become the Champion Golfer of the Year. And he is now the second-youngest player to win the first three legs of the career grand slam, bested only by Jack Nicklaus.

Spieth took the idiom "like turning on a switch" to a whole new level. He was not playing well, but after his trainwreck at 13, he was a different golfer.

I watched the first 6 holes, when both Spieth and Kuchar were struggling. I didn't want to watch Spieth collapse again, so I turned it off. When I turned it back on, they had just finished 16. I got to see Spieth and Kuchar both birdie 17. When Kuchar hit an errant tee shot on 18, it was all over. Spieth tapped in his par putt while Kuchar bogeyed.

Spieth couldn't stop ogling his Claret Jug when he was at the microphone afterwards. He was totally in awe of what he was holding. :LOL:

Another great story from the Open was Hao-Tong Li from China. He birdied the last four holes and finished with a 63 to take 3rd place (-6). Had he stayed at even par, he would have earned a meager $86,000.00 (T-22nd). Instead, he won $684,000.00! :haz: :haz:

• Like 1

I watched some of the replay out of curiosity. Just not a Spieth fan here and though I admire Kuchar somewhat for changing his game many years ago and becoming a money making machine, he's akin to watching paint dry. I was hoping the young kid Connelly would make a move but once he didn't I turned it off...

I watched some of the replay out of curiosity. Just not a Spieth fan here and though I admire Kuchar somewhat for changing his game many years ago and becoming a money making machine, he's akin to watching paint dry. I was hoping the young kid Connelly would make a move but once he didn't I turned it off...

I'm just at the point where Spieth starts his 5-under run. While he starts his pre-shot routine, the announcer asks if Spieth will br capable of better play. "Too many bad shots today."

Spieth nearly holes the tee shot out.

https://www.usatoday...itle/502929001/

I watched it. It was amazing what he did.

I kind of felt bad for Kuchar because he played well down the stretch also. But Spieth was off the charts. Shades of a young and focused Tiger Woods.

• Like 1

I kind of felt bad for Kuchar because he played well down the stretch...

Yeah. Beats Spieth on 13, but Spieth makes a bogie that feels like birdie, all things considered. Then, Kuch makes birdie on 15, but only after Spieth rolls in a 50-footer for eagle.

You play perfect down the stretch, only to lose by a guy that somehow plays better than perfect impossible golf. Eeesh.

Yeah. Beats Spieth on 13, but Spieth makes a bogie that feels like birdie, all things considered. Then, Kuch makes birdie on 15, but only after Spieth rolls in a 50-footer for eagle.

You play perfect down the stretch, only to lose by a guy that somehow plays better than perfect impossible golf. Eeesh.

Stenson/Mickelson last year. 63 beating a 65. 18 holes of superhuman golf. I don't think any match will top what they did.

• Like 2

Stenson/Mickelson last year. 63 beating a 65. 18 holes of superhuman golf. I don't think any match will top what they did.

Agreed. This year's final round between Spieth and Kuch was good, and Spieth's recovery after the 13th was amazing, but it doesn't come close to topping last year's duel.

Agreed. This year's final round between Spieth and Kuch was good, and Spieth's recovery after the 13th was amazing, but it doesn't come close to topping last year's duel.

I hope that I'm wrong, but I don't think Mickelson will ever come close to that again. It may have been his last hurrah.....

I hope that I'm wrong, but I don't think Mickelson will ever come close to that again. It may have been his last hurrah.....

If he can just nail down a U.S. Open...

• Like 2

Is anyone watching the Barracuda? I'm not, is this the same as the International with the Stableford scoring system?

In any case, there's a scroll on the baseball game with the results from the tournament. Apparently, Brian Gay and Ricky Pride are two of those tied for 14th at +23.

Not that there's anything wrong with that... :syrinx:

• Like 1

It was just reported that the PGA Championship will move to May in 2019 (on the ESPN scroll). Maybe you already knew this but it was news to me. I think it worked where it already was but I guess being the "overlooked" major it was an extra burden also being the last...

It was just reported that the PGA Championship will move to May in 2019 (on the ESPN scroll). Maybe you already knew this but it was news to me. I think it worked where it already was but I guess being the "overlooked" major it was an extra burden also being the last...

Good grief the money grubbers...smh

I take it that's a thumbs down.

Maybe it's a shot at the TPC and its "fifth" major status. Isn't that played in May (or is it March?)

Maybe it's a shot at the TPC and its "fifth" major status. Isn't that played in May (or is it March?)

The Players used to be in March but has been on the May schedule for quite a few years now. I would bet you are on to something because I would consider The Players a much stronger field typically and a better tournament in general than the PGA. With being played in the "dog days" of August and the FedEx playoffs looming the PGA has no juice and gets lost in the shuffle. It rarely excites me and I'm sure many other die hard golf fans feel the same...

The Players used to be in March but has been on the May schedule for quite a few years now. I would bet you are on to something because I would consider The Players a much stronger field typically and a better tournament in general than the PGA. With being played in the "dog days" of August and the FedEx playoffs looming the PGA has no juice and gets lost in the shuffle. It rarely excites me and I'm sure many other die hard golf fans feel the same...

I get it but there have been some classics like Daly winning as a 5th qualifier (or was it more?) and the incredible battle between Tiger and Bob May.

I get it but there have been some classics like Daly winning as a 5th qualifier (or was it more?) and the incredible battle between Tiger and Bob May.

Agreed but most years it feels at least to me like a glorified regular PGA Tour event. The fact that there are 20 PGA club pro's in the event doesn't help either. This waters down the field quite a bit and takes spots away from touring pro's that could actually win the thing. Having said that depending on how the leaderboard shapes up for the weekend I may or may not watch...