Official PGA Tour Thread

Lost In Xanadu

Wow, ESPN's bro-mance with Tiger continues. If you go to their golf site ( http://www.espn.com/golf/ ) you'd swear Tiger was holding a 15 shot lead going into the weekend instead of missing the cut. As you scroll down the main page he has at least 20 video stories and articles compared to only one each for the real contenders . :facepalm:

$$$

$$$ ? They are losing millions of subscribers and their TV ratings are plummeting you would think they would try a new approach instead of plastering 10 Tiger stories a day on their PGA link. People only care about what is relevant and he's not anymore.

The liberal approach is the only one they know. I doubt even Tiger could save them from themselves at this point...
  • Like 1

Tiger is sucking pretty bad at this point and I would be the first to admit that. I atayed up to the wee hours to watch him last night and turned it off after the 3 over front nine. I expected better even at this early stage of his return. That is all...

I've been absent from golf for awhile but damn, what happened to Day and Spieth? They seem to be non-factors right now. I know Spieth started struggling last year but it's bleeding over to 2017.

Tiger is sucking pretty bad at this point and I would be the first to admit that. I atayed up to the wee hours to watch him last night and turned it off after the 3 over front nine. I expected better even at this early stage of his return. That is all...

His body is shot. Kinda saw that coming based on the frequent sheer violence of his swing. A shame for it to end this way.

I've been absent from golf for awhile but damn, what happened to Day and Spieth? They seem to be non-factors right now. I know Spieth started struggling last year but it's bleeding over to 2017.

Tough to play golf with blisters...

...from counting all that money.

Tough to play golf with blisters...

...from counting all that money.

They both seem fine to me...

It is a global game now

Sadly I feel that Tiger's body has given up on him. I don't know but my impression is that the swing in his early career put too much pressure on his back, even with a 3 quarter swing he had almost zero hip turn. Then he went into the gym and lifted heavy weights for 3 or 4 years. It didn't really add anything to his game but bulked him up a lot. When he went with Hank around 2003 he started letting the hips turn a little more but he was still lashing so much off the tee.

I watched Tiger on the range at the Open in 2003 and he got the driver out and was hitting lovely controlled drives with a perfect swing and a 290 yard carry. But when he got on the tee proper, everything became a lash.

Sadly the way he played put so much physical pressure on his body that something had to give in by his 30's

Sad really, he has never been the same player mentally since his father passed away, although he did win majors after that. Earl was his rudder and everything that he did was for his father.

Even if Tiger can possibly get back to full fitness again for a few years it will be very very difficult for him to win another major with all of the talent that is around now.

So I suppose we have to say that until someone breaks that record then Jack Nicklaus is the greatest golfer ever. and I think that is probably right, Jack is an amazing man who has just conducted himself like the true gentleman he is on the golf course, an icon of not only golf but an icon of all sport.

I was an 11 year old boy in the crowd at Turnberry in 1977, I can never forget that. Jack must have felt totally sick to the stomach he had it won with 6 to play but he put his arm around Tom and said "I gave you my best shot but it wasn't good enough, well done"

That sort of thing transcends not only golf and sport but life as well, just pure class

• Like 1

Wait...nobody's been in here taking a dump on Tiger?

Some of my thoughts... He made a mistake... We all do. Personally I can't dump on him. He's apologized and the court system will deal with appropriate punishment. Thankfully, no one was hurt. Prescription drugs have side effects. Jack is also supporting him.

I feel the episode is being blown way out of proportion.

He's become irrelevant anyway, so we might as well let him fade into oblivion.

My question is: Why do police officers compel drivers to recite the alphabet backwards? Most of us can't even do it while sober.... ;)

• Like 1

He's become irrelevant anyway, so we might as well let him fade into oblivion.

My question is: Why do police officers compel drivers to recite the alphabet backwards? Most of us can't even do it while sober.... ;)

index.2e16d0ba.fill-295x279.jpg

Already dropped by NIKE, it appears that Tiger's Ambien endorsement is now in jeopardy.

:syrinx:

• Like 1

After his recent although very short "comeback" and another back surgery that followed I have finally given up hope. I gotta give my now almost ex wife some credit cuz she told me more than once after the incident in 2009 that he would never be the same. I of course said no way, he will be as great as ever once the dust settles. With the exception of some flashes in 13' it hasn't even been close. He wrecked his body and his mind (and hair lol) has gone with it.

On a happier note a couple years ago I sort of adopted Kevin Kisner as my new "favorite" golfer and he finally won again last week. Love his style and tenacity. Love to see a guy who took a while to make it but has finally found "it" through hard work and effort like he has....

• Like 1

US OPEN, BABY!

Guys are crushing it out there on a course tamed by wet weather and low winds. On the course this morning, Sergio and Adam Acott get home in two on 18 (driver-3 wood) from 676 yards. Amazing.

The course looks awesome.

I like it when the US Open is incredibly difficult and over par wins the tournament. Makes it a tougher test of mental and physical skills.

These guys shoot under par at every tournament, so make the US Open tough!!

• Like 1

The course looks awesome.

I like it when the US Open is incredibly difficult and over par wins the tournament. Makes it a tougher test of mental and physical skills.

These guys shoot under par at every tournament, so make the US Open tough!!

And as they are pros - the best of the best - if they can't hit the fairways, then TOO BAD!!

Don't like the tall fescue? Don't hit it there! Put the ball in the fairway! :yes:

• Like 1

Justin Thomas shoots an all-time record 9 under par (63) at the U.S. Open.

18th hole, Par 5: Thomas puts his 2nd shot within 7 feet of the hole, and makes the Eagle to finish at -9.

• Like 1

Justin Thomas shoots an all-time record 9 under par (63) at the U.S. Open.

18th hole, Par 5: Thomas puts his 2nd shot within 7 feet of the hole, and makes the Eagle to finish at -9.

5th Hole: Thomas is just off the green, about 12 feet away from the hole. Serious slope. Thomas putts about three feet perpendicular to the hole - straight to the left - and lets the slope take the ball all the way down and INTO the cup for a birdie. :notworthy: :notworthy:

• Like 1

Congrat's to Koepke. I was at a swim meet Sat/Sun, so missed the live coverage. But looking at the highlights this morning, it looks like it was a heckuva final round!

It was a BORING tournament. Taking nothing away from Koepka as he punished the ball long and straight.

These guys are just too powerful and straight for a course with fairways as wide as runways.

So easy that the top three players in the world missed the cut?

The final round featured a showdown between a true long hitter and a more middle-of-the pack player in terms of length. The real factor was weather, which made for good scoring conditions, but the playres still had to make shots, which is what Koepke did. He even birdied the toughest scoring hole, a SHORT part 4 where he laid up to 155-60 yds and stuffed a choked down 8-iron.

These guys are good.

It was a BORING tournament. Taking nothing away from Koepka as he punished the ball long and straight.

These guys are just too powerful and straight for a course with fairways as wide as runways.

The final round featured a showdown between a true long hitter and a more middle-of-the pack player in terms of length. The real factor was weather, which made for good scoring conditions, but the playres still had to make shots, which is what Koepke did. He even birdied the toughest scoring hole, a SHORT part 4 where he laid up to 155-60 yds and stuffed a choked down 8-iron.

These guys are good.

The best players in the world have off days too. I could state the reverse of that and say so easy that Xander Schauffele (who?) shot -10. And Trey Mullinax (who?) shot -8. And Eddie Pepperell (who?) shot -5 at the US Open.

These guys aren't good, they are great.

These guys are good.

The best players in the world have off days too. I could state the reverse of that and say so easy that Xander Schauffele (who?) shot -10. And Trey Mullinax (who?) shot -8. And Eddie Pepperell (who?) shot -5 at the US Open.

Trying to find the boring part in what you just described. Sounds pretty entertaining to me.

Hey, you're a 10hcp? We should play sometime.

These guys are good.

Trying to find the boring part in what you just described. Sounds pretty entertaining to me.

Boring in that I like to see the US Open punish the players. Make them pay for errant shots. Grind it out. I want to see the winner collapse after the 72nd hole, not saunter to the clubhouse :)

As for that handicap, that's my league handicap with gimmes and all that :) Probably more like a 15 for 18 holes.

• Like 1

These guys are good.

Boring in that I like to see the US Open punish the players. Make them pay for errant shots. Grind it out. I want to see the winner collapse after the 72nd hole, not saunter to the clubhouse :)

But Koepke didn't hit an errant shot on Sunday. In fact, throughout the tourney, he played lights out:

That Koepka was able to make so many birdies at a U.S. Open is unusual, but it was also not surprising considering how many opportunities he gave himself on the Erin Hills golf course. Over four rounds, Koepka reached the green in regulation and had a birdie or eagle putt on 62 of the 72 holes.

...the last time a U.S. Open champ had as many birdie opportunities as Koepka did was Rory McIlroy in 2011 when he also shot 16-under and also found the greens in regulation 62 times over 72 holes.

http://www.businessinsider.com/brooks-koepka-us-open-erin-hills-greens-2017-6