MP signed & framed ltd ed photo set

HalfwayToGone

Hah, my wife would probably kill me if I added one more thing to the shelves in our family room....I have mostly Penn State stuff, and books, but there are a few other things I've accumulated over the years, diving related stuff, old concert videos and documentaries (the ones on these shelves are what I DON'T have on DVD on another rack) A lot of the books I have are music related, In the bottom left corner is my new "Art of Rush" book, up on the top shelf is my R40 video set...and some other cool stuff.... The bobble heads were headed there...but I got the serious "hairy eyeball" when I was going to hit "order"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/jaminbenb/2016-02-18%2017.07.47_zpshwkhx81p.jpg

A friend of mine once got me that Neil statue for Christmas (The one that depicts his look in the '70s with the mustache and long hair) thinking I'd like it. (because it's Rush) I had to bite my tongue. It just does nothing for me. I waited a few months and gave it to someone else.who I thought might enjoy it more.

Have to evaluate on a case by case basis like everything else I guess.

If you don't mind me saying, with all the stuff you already have, what possible difference would three little bobbleheads make? :LOL: You could scatter them about - Geddy one place, Al another, and Neil in another.

I'd keep mine right here on the computer desk so they wouldn't miss a thing. :)

That was my thought, too! hahahaha!!!

She's like "TOO MANY TCHATCKIE'S!" and I had to close the window....

My stereo stand is just to the left of that picture, and my computer desk is directly behind that. I have room on the top of my desk and on top of the stereo stand! Although my bathroom down here... (which she rarely uses) has all of my Rush "art" objects......I'd still be screwed if she saw those on the Mastercard bill...and walked into one of my "spaces" and found them! I should have just done the "order now/explain later" and not really worried about it! (but I save that for any new dive gear that she notices....which is a LOT more expensive!)

• Like 1

I want to thank everyone who brought these to "sold out" status before I could even see them. Now I don't have to be tempted. :)

This is the tip of the iceberg. There will be more. They still need $$$ and they don't tour and might not even record.

• Like 1

I got 95. They were sold out but I checked the page occasionally and to my surprise about a month ago there was one in stock (maybe a hold back?). If I got the last one and it's 95, maybe there are 5 more they might sell through at some point.

Shame to keep in storage, it's inspiring and fun to look at on my wall.

Funny enough though, a friend of mine was in the photo pit at the last Toronto homestand and his pics are way better. The MP picture of Neil is a little weak if you ask me, the other two are pretty good.

I framed up the 40th anniversary shots my friend took, but of course they don't have the signatures. I'd pay rush to sign the 3 of those if I could!

I want to thank everyone who brought these to "sold out" status before I could even see them. Now I don't have to be tempted. :)

This is the tip of the iceberg. There will be more. They still need $$$ and they don't tour and might not even record.

I doubt they blew through the 25 million they each are worth.
  • Like 1

I did post this thread well before they sold out, so that fans instead of scalpers would buy more of them.

I doubt they blew through the 25 million they each are worth.

I doubt that is what I wrote that they did.

Edited by Ancient Ways

I got 95. They were sold out but I checked the page occasionally and to my surprise about a month ago there was one in stock (maybe a hold back?). If I got the last one and it's 95, maybe there are 5 more they might sell through at some point.

Shame to keep in storage, it's inspiring and fun to look at on my wall.

Funny enough though, a friend of mine was in the photo pit at the last Toronto homestand and his pics are way better. The MP picture of Neil is a little weak if you ask me, the other two are pretty good.

I framed up the 40th anniversary shots my friend took, but of course they don't have the signatures. I'd pay rush to sign the 3 of those if I could!

It's possible that someone else "purchased" the set on some sort of credit or a check that eventually didn't clear, so back into the store it went. These things happen every so often. I was able to get a very limited vinyl pressing of a box set from another band even though the item order page had "out of stock" over the image--the little spot to click to purchase a preorder was still active so I clicked thru, and it allowed me to place an order (which I was sure would be cancelled). I ordered one "regular" edition also just in case there was a screw up in the webpage that failed to deactivate the add to cart button. I was uncertain I'd get the limited ed. until I actually received it, but sure enough I have both now. Rush's merch site has occasionally found a piece or two of a sold out item still in stock and reactivated the order page--it happened with that gold edition of CA with the manuscript page, I recall. Whether it's a failed payment, or someone put it in their cart and left it there for a month without closing their browser, or they had some set aside as giveaways or for band's personal friends, or whatever, it does give the diehard store-watcher another opportunity sometimes. Definitely worth rechecking for quite a while after an item you want has already sold out right away. Same thing happened with the slipcase version of Art Of Rush, and the eventual release of unused artist proofs of that book.

I doubt that is wrote that they did

Not sure what you were trying to type here, but I tend to agree with you to an extent--really the easiest and most reliable ways for a musician or band to make money in today's music business are to sell tickets to concerts (we all know that's not gonna be a big income source for Rush anymore), selling merchandise (ding, ding, ding!), and licensing music to other people for movies, tv, games, ads, etc. And while Rush is one of a very few bands that can still release an album on CD and vinyl without losing money, that is still a very tiny market compared to pre-Internet. So they will continue to put out merch until it stops being profitable most likely. At least if they're going to do these sorts of autographed special edition items, so far they have mostly kept the number of each item fairly low, so they don't instantly become worthless.

Rush has made millions milking their fans dry. I got no problem with scalpers doing the same. You folks are a reliable market.

My Geddy Jazz bass that I bought for $500 in '98 is about the only thing they haven't obscenely marked up. I'll let it go for 3 grand.

That sounds like whiny bullshite to me. No one's holding a gun to anyone's head forcing them to spend their money. If some accountant figured out how much they can get away with charging before fans will say "no thank you" and that number is high, then blame the numerous fans who are willing to shell out what you think is a ripoff. That's what drives prices most. If no one bought that stuff the price would drop. Plain and simple. Don't blame the band for charging what many people are willing to pay. As far as this release goes--exactly 100 sets were made. That's it. After covering costs and paying the photographer his cut, the amount of money each band member gets would cover my rent, bills, health insurance, car insurance, car loan, school loans for a whopping three months, and then I'd be broke. And that's before buying food for my family and various other living expenses. It's not a hell of a lot of money at the end of the day. The ones soaking people are the ebayers who grab these before fans can get them and then mark up the price to triple what it was.

Oh and your bass isn't worth one grand, let alone 3. it's a Japanese fender and there are tons of them floating around. If it was an American made bass it might be worth a grand or two used, but not that thing.

Edited by HalfwayToGone

Hey, you'll get no complaints from me buddy. I've gone to more than my fair share of free rush shows, simply because I was able to buy an extra pair of tickets early and double my money on eBay or stubhub.

And the jazz bass comment was a joke, which apparently went over your head.

• Like 1

I know you were being snarky. But really--justifying scalping because you feel the band made too much money makes no sense. "I feel wronged by the band, so I feel totally justified doing the exact same thing to someone else twice or three times as bad." The reality is that once you've scalped that ticket or rare item and benefitted from the proceeds, the band has not only not wronged anyone, they've basically given you a gift. And you're blaming the band, like they're the greedy ones. If they were really that greedy, they'd charge the double or triple that you're charging when you scalp tickets or flip a signed piece.

I'm more of a manipulator than a scalper. And with Rush, their milk jobs come more from constantly re-releasing their "remastered" catalogue. And fans here debate them like there is a significant difference. My cd's all came from joining BMG in '92, and then buying new releases as they came. I was given one remaster as a gift, and side by side, there is no discernible difference.

Ray Danniels once said in an interview that the Rolling Stones Steel Wheels tour revolutionized the touring industry, because that was the first tour to charge ridiculously high prices, and everyone realized the market price for concerts could go way up.

So again, I have no issue at all with anyone taking a Rush product and making money off it.

I'll sell the Rush book by Brian Harrigan for $200...