49ers 2016 Season Thread: All the Chips Are In

JohnRogers

The NFL is right not to step in, even if it is well within their rights. It's a bad precedent to go fascist against political opinions, because if they apply such logic once, it will never be applied evenly. And if they try to apply it evenly, before you know it, someone will get punished because they say they love America.

Just let it be. Kaepernick's value will be hurt by his stupidity with or without the NFL's intervention.

They're too scared to but it does damage the shield IMO.

I think they're probably loving this. This is a lot of attention. I'm very confident that more people are going to tune in to see what happens next, than are going to turn off their TVs in protest.

As long as they don't further alienate either side, I think the NFL is going to benefit from this.

The NFL is right not to step in, even if it is well within their rights. It's a bad precedent to go fascist against political opinions, because if they apply such logic once, it will never be applied evenly. And if they try to apply it evenly, before you know it, someone will get punished because they say they love America.

Just let it be. Kaepernick's value will be hurt by his stupidity with or without the NFL's intervention.

They're too scared to but it does damage the shield IMO.

I think they're probably loving this. This is a lot of attention. I'm very confident that more people are going to tune in to see what happens next, than are going to turn off their TVs in protest.

As long as they don't further alienate either side, I think the NFL is going to benefit from this.

Publicity is Publicity ;)

But to disrespect all that have sacrificed to keep this country going is a disgrace.

This point should be addressed on all media venues. Kaepernick, no matter how silly he's being, is NOT disrespecting anyone from the military - past or present.

This happens over and over again. When someone makes a public protest over what they see as injustice or oppression in this country, a whole bunch of people automatically (and irrationally) define the protester as someone who is disrespecting American soldiers. It's not just Kaepernick; it's virtually ANYONE who makes a public criticism of the USA and the injustices that we may have. Anyone who makes a public criticism is accused of "disrespecting our soldiers and thier sacrifices", or they're told to "love America or leave it." It's an arrogant, uber-nationalistic response that reeks of fascist overtones. The first step in creating a fascist dictatorship and society is requiring all citizens to be patriotic.

The reason why we have the U.S. Constitution and our civil rights is so we CAN voice our dissent and protests without fear of reprisal - from the government or our fellow citizens.

Kaepernick is a dork, but he is NOT dissing anyone from the Military. It's just not true.

• Like 1

But to disrespect all that have sacrificed to keep this country going is a disgrace.

This point should be addressed on all media venues. Kaepernick, no matter how silly he's being, is NOT disrespecting anyone from the military - past or present.

This happens over and over again. When someone makes a public protest over what they see as injustice or oppression in this country, a whole bunch of people automatically (and irrationally) define the protester as someone who is disrespecting American soldiers. It's not just Kaepernick; it's virtually ANYONE who makes a public criticism of the USA and the injustices that we may have. Anyone who makes a public criticism is accused of "disrespecting our soldiers and thier sacrifices", or they're told to "love America or leave it." It's an arrogant, uber-nationalistic response that reeks of fascist overtones. The first step in creating a fascist dictatorship and society is requiring all citizens to be patriotic.

The reason why we have the U.S. Constitution and our civil rights is so we CAN voice our dissent and protests without fear of reprisal - from the government or our fellow citizens.

Kaepernick is a dork, but he is NOT dissing anyone from the Military. It's just not true.

The opinion of anyone who feels disrespected by his actions are as valid as yours. Saying they're wrong doesn't make you correct.

• Like 2

The opinion of anyone who feels disrespected by his actions are as valid as yours. Saying they're wrong doesn't make you correct.

In this matter, opinions are valid only if they're based on facts and logic - not on irrational emotions and ignorance.

This sports forum is dancing on the edge of SOCN. He has the "right" to sit, there is no law against it. There is no law against me farting in a crowded five star either. His argument for his protest was weak sauce.
  • Like 1

In this matter, opinions are valid only if they're based on facts and logic - not on irrational emotions and ignorance.

Once again, you're taking your opinion that some arguments are based on emotions and deciding you're correct and they're wrong. Typing it doesn't make it so.

What the point is, A person is willing to take the benefits that a system provides and not blog a peep but then take one aspect of the whole to use as an attention getting vehicle. Not once when Kap was on the top of his game did he bring up the problems of racisim and police brutality. Things that have been happening in every civilization since the beginning of time. But when things are going bad he wants to make a "statement" about how things are so bad is sooo BS. Also so you know I do not agree with all this country says it stands for, but I am damm thankfull that I am here. When the National Anthem is played I stand, remove my cap and pay respect for all who paid the ultimate sacrifice so I can have the life I have. If Kappernick really wants to make a statement he could find a much better way. :finbar:

Edited by Crimsonmistymemory
  • Like 1

Many people want to focus on the police shooting aspect of Kaepernick's statement but ignore his "country of oppression" crap. Here is what Kap should have done. With his NFL quarterback megaphone he should of told us all about the outreach he is doing for communities of color, the money and time donated. Mention how he wants to find solutions for so many young black men meeting violent deaths. I'm sure ESPN would have quoted him correctly.
  • Like 3

I say believe in what you want. Is the US perfect? No! But to disrespect all that have sacrificed to keep this country going is a disgrace. Stay in the locker room if you don't want to stand for the anthem. And I don't think Kap had any problem accepting millions of dollars from that imperfect institution the anthem is for. :facepalm:

As far as I can tell he said nothing about it before this even though he has access to the national media on a regular basis. If a reporter didn't ask about it he still wouldn't have spoken out about this. I happen to agree that there are too many incidents where police are too violent but this is not the best way to make the point. No one is really talking about that, they are focused on the disrespect towards those that have sacrificed for the country.

From what I've read, he has been tweeting about this for a long time.

And the idea that he is disrespecting people with different opinions is beyond silly, to me. It's interesting to see how jingoistic and irrational people can be based on being born into an artificially constructed geographic entity.

Many people want to focus on the police shooting aspect of Kaepernick's statement but ignore his "country of oppression" crap. Here is what Kap should have done. With his NFL quarterback megaphone he should of told us all about the outreach he is doing for communities of color, the money and time donated. Mention how he wants to find solutions for so many young black men meeting violent deaths. I'm sure ESPN would have quoted him correctly.

He won't do that. He is full of sh** and a hypocrite.

I haven't read every post in this thread but I will say this; He better deliver on the field for the 49ers in the final pre-season game on Thursday or he will be without a job in the NFL.

I hope he fails miserably. When he is cut I want no questions as to why.

• Like 1

Sorry, John, but you just lost your fullback. He's going to work on his anger issues for a while.

Dude's gotta learn to deal with people!!

Edited by Principled Man

I wonder how long the leash will be for Chip.

I can't see him tossed overboard without finishing next season. The ESPN type clucking hens are all on Kaepernick watch.