Available Light vs The Garden

Bigbobby10

Available Light vs The Garden  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Available Light vs The Garden

New to the forum here. Interesting that both of these songs close their respective albums. Presto not one of my personal favorites, so wasn't terribly familiar with Available Light. Gave it a listen before I posted and definitely how it touches previous posters deeply. However, musically and lyrically, I prefer The Garden. The live performances on tour with the violins gives me chills every time I view it. In fact, I plan to deliver its message to my daughter and her future husband at their wedding later this year! Thrilled that I found this forum to share my love of Rush with its brilliant legions of fans!
  • Like 2

The Garden. Too easy.

The lyrics and the sentiment behind them? Agreed.

OK, not to be snarky, but the Garden just seems obvious and a classic Neil preachy song. I know it touches a lot of people here, which is cool, but I'm not a Hallmark Channel kind of guy, and that's how the Garden Comes across to me.

Edited by goose
  • Like 2

So, why do I like Available Light? I like the stark structure of it, which was an especially welcome change following what was a very busy approach to making music on the prior two albums. Temporal context has a lot to do with my love of the album Presto in general. Available Light has great structure, amazing vocals, and interestingly judicious playing from Alex and Neil. A final appeal are the less direct and more poetic lyrics of the song. There's room for personal interpretation, something missing from the rather heavy-handed lyrics of The Garden.

AL is a beautiful close to a unique RUSH album...one that has personal meaning to me in many ways.

• Like 6

The Garden. Too easy.

OK, not to be snarky, but the Garden just seems obvious and a classic Neil preachy song. I know it touches a lot of people here, which is cool, but I'm not a Hallmark Channel kind of guy, and that's how the Garden Comes across to me.

Lyrics have nothing to do with it for me. The Garden is just an awesome song with awesome bass guitar, strings, and one of Alex's best guitar solos since Power Windows.

• Like 1

Available Light. Easily top ten for me. The Garden is probably not even top fifty.
  • Like 2

The Garden. Too easy.

Lyrics have nothing to do with it for me. The Garden is just an awesome song with awesome bass guitar, strings, and one of Alex's best guitar solos since Power Windows.

His solo is strong on Garden, but so is his work on AL. I like the jazz feel of the whole song...very Steely Dan.

Available Light by a country mile.....

The Garden is a decent song, but marred by shoehorned lyrics and clunky vocal delivery

Available Light is pure class from start to finish.

• Like 2

The Garden has some lovely lyrics. Some. I dislike having everything so blunt, when a less to the point approach could have given the song wider appeal.

Lyrics aside, musically it just isn't very special. It doesn't do anything for me.

Available Light, on the other hand, is one of my favourite lyrics from Rush. But lyrics aside, I love the flowing feel of the song, the vocals, the drumming, Alex, the melody, the entire song for me is superior to The Pass, never mind The Garden.

I love Presto, and the songs I enjoy on CA are all in the higher echelons of my favourite Rush tunes, but The Garden is not one of them whilst Available Light left a great impression from day one.

I remember the first time I played Presto, and I disliked the whole thing until Available Light. I still love it.

The Garden was a song that at first sounded amazing, because I did the whole "oh my word this song means so much it was written by man almost in his sixties!".

But then I heard the music they made whilst a lot younger, and suddenly the new stuff lost all its appeal. It was boring, preachy and as much as Geddy sings it with his prettiest ballad vocals, the lyrics read almost like a rant from an old man. Which, in a way, they are.

The Garden is about as subtle as a sex reference in a Nickleback song, and about as boring as that bands best work.

Edited by Segue Myles

I just feal like the garden is like sunday school........and no thank you, lol

Mick

I get nothing religious from it, but I take it you mean that annoying preachy tone older people say, the sort of annoying thing they say which sounds like they were never once young and that you shouldn't be either?!?

• Like 1

Mick

I get nothing religious from it, but I take it you mean that annoying preachy tone older people say, the sort of annoying thing they say which sounds like they were never once young and that you shouldn't be either?!?

i don't mean religious......i mean the tone of......listen up young-uns the measure of a life yada yada yada.

Take a nap grandpa peart i'm fine, lol.

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

i don't mean religious......i mean the tone of......listen up young-uns the measure of a life yada yada yada.

Mick

I dont get that at all. I felt that its a summing up of what went before inasmuch as I understand the concept.

And there is a beautiful pianer part and a great Alex solo to tie if all together.

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

I dont get that at all. I felt that its a summing up of what went before inasmuch as I understand the concept.

And there is a beautiful pianer part and a great Alex solo to tie if all together.

I don't find it as bad as some bands preachy stuff. I like what he was doing, and I agree it has some lovely parts.

But it is not a patch on songs like Losing It, Available Light, The Pass or even Faithless if you ask me.

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

I don't find it as bad as some bands preachy stuff. I like what he was doing, and I agree it has some lovely parts.

But it is not a patch on songs like Losing It, Available Light, The Pass or even Faithless if you ask me.

Ill take Losing It or the Pass over any of those. And Bravado.

• Like 1

Bravado over Faithless.

Bravado over any song released post Presto.

Aside from Cold Fore and Everyday Glory.

Edited by Segue Myles