Vapor Trails V. Snakes and Arrows

prolix

49 members have voted

1. 1. VT OR SaA

• Vapor Trails
    • Snakes and Arrows

Vapor Trails. Hands down one of my favourite Rush albums, fourth best in fact!
  • Like 1

I like both; I don't love them, but I like them.

I think Vapor Trails is more consistent, from start to finish; its good. Snakes is a little more varied, to my ears, in terms of dynamics...and some of the songs on it I like better than anything on Vapor Trails. But some of Snakes I think is weaker, also.

• Like 3

Oh wow, what a battle. If only it had been done before.

This is not a fantastic way to treat a newbie to the forum.

There's nothing wrong with a new person starting a thread about a not-new topic, is there? And any honest discussion of Rush is a good one, isn't it?

• Like 6

Material? Vapor Trials > Snakes & Arrows

Listening pleasure, i.e. avoids aural fatigue? Snakes & Arrows > Vapor Trails

The better overall achievement as artists? Vapor Trails, I believe.

• Like 3

There's nothing wrong with a new person starting a thread about a not-new topic, is there? And any honest discussion of Rush is a good one, isn't it?

Thanks for saying this...I thought it might only be me...

• Like 1

Go for Vapor Trails. The lyrical content is far superior to the plodding preachiness on Snakes & Arrows. Do listen to the remix, as the original version is a bit loud for most people's tastes. Highlights of the album are One Little Victory, Vapor Trail, and Earthshine, though in my opinion the whole thing is a masterpiece. :)

But you should give Snakes & Arrows a listen also. There are some brilliant songs on the album, like Far Cry and Armor and Sword, but a lot of it is kind of mid-tempo droning (at least in my opinion).

• Like 2

I wasn't trying to be mean. Just letting the person know there's another thread exactly like this where they can get opinions on the topic. I didn't necessarily have to be a wise ass with my response but that was the kind of mood I was in when I posted.

Man, you forget to put a smiley at the end of a comment and people take it the wrong way :cool:

• Like 1

Vapor Trails by a country mile.

I've never thought dirges were appealing. Outside of Presto (maybe), this is their worst. Thank God they recovered with the brilliant Clockwork Angels; to use an analogy from Neil's inspiration, they descended into hell before ascending into heaven.

I find much to love on both albums. I only listen to VT Remix though, since it is so much improved to my ears. I also prefer listening to them on vinyl when convenient since they are less compressed sounding on that format. Favorite tracks on VT - Earthshine, How It Is, Vapor Trials, Ghost Rider. Favorites on Snakes - Far Cry, Working Them Angels, Spindrift, Hope, Malignant Narcissim.
  • Like 1

well said!
  • Like 2

I find that the original VT gives me splitting headaches. I actually think at this point I may not have listened to the entire thing in one sitting for several years. I strongly dislike it. I would not even call it a bad Rush album. Its just a bad album.

The remix is light years better. I can actually enjoy some of the songs. Not a lot, since I am not crazy over the material, but some at least (e.g. Ghost Rider & Peacable Kingdom.)

S & A on the other hand is a good solid album I enjoy a lot. Its loaded with songs I like a great deal. Songs such as Far Cry, A & S, The Main Monkey Business, Working them Angeles, The Larger Bowl, Hope, We Hold On, The Way the Wind Blows. Heck, even Faithless & Mal Nar have grown on me.

S & A by a country mile over the remixed VT. Against the original I think my answer is obvious.

I dislike the following songs...

Vapor Trails:

How It Is

Stars Look Down

Sweet Miracle

Freeze

Nocturne

These are possibly my top five!

Although I might swap How It Is with Earthiness as I ADORE that song.

Edited by Segue Myles

I really need to listen to VT again.....i don't know why. but i should.

Mick

It hurts my ears and gives me a headache. Even the remix couldn't fix that the master tapes were poorly recorded.