2016 MLB Season Thread

The Analog Cub

THANK YOU, CLEVELAND!!!! :notworthy:

Joey Fat Lip can suck it! (sorry Geddy.)

I will from here on out have a special place in my heart for the Indians. Happy to see one of my favorite players ever, Mike Napoli, have another go at a World Series pennant. He really deserves to win one.

Now, let's get this done, Cubbies!!!! :cheerleader:

Actually, Napoli won a Series with the Red Sox a few years ago. But yeah, he could use another one. :yes:

:doh:

He sure did, didn't he? :LOL:

I wonder how many different teams he can get WS rings with? :P

• Like 2

My avatar on the mound tonight. Let's make it 2-1!

He did.

:LOL: dammit

With the Cubs win tonight, tied at 2-2 and we'll be going back to Wrigley.

And unfortunately, facing Kershaw again when we get there.

For Game 6? Or do you think he'll be on the mound for #5?

My avatar on the mound tonight. Let's make it 2-1!

He did.

:LOL: dammit

With the Cubs win tonight, tied at 2-2 and we'll be going back to Wrigley.

And unfortunately, facing Kershaw again when we get there.

For Game 6? Or do you think he'll be on the mound for #5?

He'll be on Saturday at Wrigley.

"Indians only have 1 real great pitcher "

Assuming you must just be talking starters, how many "real great" pitchers does Chicago have? Lester? Indians scored 6 runs in his game 1 start. Arrieta? Great game 2 but consistency hasn't been his strong suit of late; what will he do next time? Their best pitcher is starting tonight, but even great pitchers have off days. That's why you have all those other guys on the roster.

So no doubt advantage Chicago with starting pitching but that doesn't guarantee anything. The Indians went into the post-season without their # 2 & 3 starters Salazar and Carrasco yet going into last night they were 6-0 in postseason games started by pitchers not named Kluber. Going back the the KC series which ended the season, Cleveland has won 11 of their last 13, and one of those losses is Kluber's. The other's is Drone Boy. I hope last night is the last we'll see of him. Start Salazar game 5 and then Cleveland would have two "real great" pitchers starting in what's now a five game series. We'll see.

"Indians only have 1 real great pitcher "

Assuming you must just be talking starters, how many "real great" pitchers does Chicago have? Lester? Indians scored 6 runs in his game 1 start. Arrieta? Great game 2 but consistency hasn't been his strong suit of late; what will he do next time? Their best pitcher is starting tonight, but even great pitchers have off days. That's why you have all those other guys on the roster.

So no doubt advantage Chicago with starting pitching but that doesn't guarantee anything. The Indians went into the post-season without their # 2 & 3 starters Salazar and Carrasco yet going into last night they were 6-0 in postseason games started by pitchers not named Kluber. Going back the the KC series which ended the season, Cleveland has won 11 of their last 13, and one of those losses is Kluber's. The other's is Drone Boy. I hope last night is the last we'll see of him. Start Salazar game 5 and then Cleveland would have two "real great" pitchers starting in what's now a five game series. We'll see.

I was going by the regular season stats such as wins and ERA. They're now showing the Kluber will start on 3 days rest. Kind of supports what I posted about not having a great staff when they bring back their star after just 3 days.

He's actually getting four days rest each start because of the travel days. Having only thrown 88 pitches that shouldn't be a problem. Cleveland has this thing called a bullpen, and their's is very good if you haven't noticed; it allows a lot of flexibility with how Francona uses his starters. It's what has got them this far; they haven't had to rely much on their starters. In that they are the opposite of say, San Francisco.

Also, using a hot pitcher three games in a seven game series is not at all unusual, even if you've a strong staff. Most teams that have that luxury -- if the rotation lines up right, and if you've the bullpen to support shorter starts -- do just that. That Francona wants to use Kluber three times doesn't mean much in itself. In fact, if Salazar is as healthy as everyone is saying, he should have been in the rotation, and then you'd have had this:

Kluber/Tomlin/Salazar/Bauer/Kluber/Tomlin/Salazar. Kluber is Kluber, Salazar's an All-Star, and Tomlin's been pitching very very good after a bad August. That's a solid rotation, even with Bauer (a good pitcher when his curve is working, which it wasn't last night).

If using Kluber three times, I wish Francona could have done this: Kluber/Tomlin/Bauer/Kluber/Salazar/Tomlin/Kluber. That would maximize Tomlin's rest and minimize Bauer's contribution. Hard to second guess a guy who's 9-1 in WS games but that's what I would have done. But then I've never liked Bauer as a pitcher in a short series. Solid middling pitcher for the long haul of a season, but not a shutdown guy normally. Just hope to see Salazar in game 5. Tomlin/Kluber/Salazar/Tomlin/Kluber would give them an excellent chance. Again, with their bullpen, the starters only have to give them five innings.

Joe Buck has the 'Well the Cubs are young, and we'll see plenty of them in the future' Notes already going tonight

It has been a most eventful year for MLB. A lot of things have happened, for better or worse.

Tragedy strikes with the death of Jose Fernandez. May he rest in peace :(

The AL East turned from a rather uninteresting division last year into an absolute joy to watch during the regular season (even though Jays and Sox got rekt in the playoffs)

The Royals fought some of the worst injury ridden seasons any team has had to face and still finished at a solid .500

The AL West is still the AL West :LOL: but it's nice to see the Mariners look decent for once

The Nationals rebounded from a frustrating 2015 season to have a very successful regular season before running into the Dodgers buzzsaw

Vin Scully retired this year :( what a legendary figure in sports. The Dodgers fought a lot of injuries to make it to the NLCS. That's a successful season in my book.

The Cardinals were finally dethroned from the top of the NL Central in favor of their long arch nemesis team

The AL playoffs sucked. Sweeps everywhere

The NL playoffs were amazing. The Nats and the Dodgers had a great division series and Kershaw for once did some good work in the postseason.

The Indians fought a lot of demons with injuries and a really tough ALC, with the White Sox getting a really hot start, and the Royals continuing to fight on to the bitter end, and they thrived in the postseason.

The Cubs killed EYBS (Even Year Bullshit, suck it Giants) and slayed the Dodgers to win the pennant for the first time since 1945.

The World Series was historic with the longest combined title drought from the Indians and the Cubs, and both teams fought hard to the end. The Indians pitching staff was absolutely monstrous even with all the injuries, but despite taking a 3-1 lead (OH THOSE SWEET WARRIORS MEMES), the Cubs fought back to what might be one of the greatest games of baseball ever played in Game 7. Home runs, decisive runs, defensive highlights (and nasty errors), pitching beauty here and there, and a final rally in the 10th inning to end it all.

Obviously, I'm super excited that the Cubs won their first World Series since 1908, but anybody who watched the World Series cannot deny that was some high quality baseball.

Chicago will be celebrating like crazy (we need it, look at how the Bears are currently doing), but Cleveland has plenty to celebrate, with how successful the Indians have been. Both teams will be good for quite a while, I imagine.

Can't wait for 2017.

• Like 3

I'm pretty excited the Dolans spent the cash for Encaracion. Good step forward Tribe returning to post season play! :D