The 2016-17 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Thread

Crimsonmistymemory

Here's another place where all the fans (avid- fairweather) and supporters of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers can post their thoughts, cheers and jeers. All NFL fans are welcome but if you come here to bash the Bucs believe you me it is nothing we Bucs fans have not heard over the years and maybe we have some to add if you missed something. With the recent coaching changes, we as Bucs fans have a lot to be excited about this season and it could not start soon enough!

Go Bucs!

The Buccaneers improved by four wins between 2014 and 2015 and while that wasn’t enough to allow coach Lovie Smith to keep his job, it was a sign that they hit on their decision to draft quarterbackJameis Winston with the first overall pick of last year’s draft.

Now they need to fill in other weak spots around the team so that they can continue to improve and make a return to the postseason for the first time since 2007. Linebacker Kwon Alexander has identified one area where he believes the team should be focused on this offseason.

“We need to get some more guys to, you know, to get some push on the quarterback,” Alexander said on WDAE, via JoeBucsFan.com. “I think that’s what we’re going to be drafting this year, defensive ends. We had great defensive ends this year, but we need a little more help. So whoever we can get, you know, we’re going to need that pressure to get Cam [Newton] and, you know, try to get to the Super Bowl this season.”

Alexander’s mention of Newton makes sense since the Bucs are also in the NFC South and because of what we saw the Broncos pass rush do to the Panthers in Super Bowl 50. Building a disruptive pass rush is hardly a new model for defensive success in the NFL, but that performance reinforced the point in a way that should lead to plenty of company for the Bucs in the search for help this offseason.

^ Yes we have a very tough schedule playing a lot of upper tier play off teams & the NFC champions + Super Bowl champions. But I think the Bucs are and will be on the up swing. But again this is the Bucs we're talking about ;) Edited by Crimsonmistymemory

Here is some draft speculation to get the juices going and a little pro football fix

Round 1 (9th overall)

Noah Spence, DE, Eastern Kentucky

Spence’s off-field issues, which include a couple of failed drug tests and an arrest for public intoxication last May, are a grave concern. But someone is going to take a chance on what might be the best pure pass rusher in this class. Why not the Bucs? Tampa Bay general manager Jason Licht is not afraid to gamble. He was part of the Arizona staff that drafted beleaguered LSU cornerback Tyrann Mathieu in the third round in 2013, and he took a chance last year in drafting FSU quarterback Jameis Winston first overall. With an impact edge rusher there for the taking, Licht could gamble again.

Round 2 (39th overall)

Kendall Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech

Just like former Bucs coach Lovie Smith, new defensive coordinator Mike Smith is all about taking the ball away. Few cornerbacks in this year’s rather deep class are as adept at that as Fuller. Yes, he missed all but three games last year with a knee injury, so there is some risk involved. But if Fuller grades out well medically at the combine, his draft status will rise. When healthy, Fuller is one of the top defensive playmakers in his class.

Round 3 (74th overall)

Artie Burns, CB, Miami

Burns has the one thing the Bucs lack most in the secondary — speed. His 40-yard dash will be worth watching when corners run a week from today, because he’s fast enough to possibly break Chris Johnson’s 4.24-second combine record. Burns is more than a burner, though. He’s a willing and adept tackler — physical enough to play safety — and blitzes effectively.

Round 4 (105th overall)

Jerald Hawkins, OT, LSU

The Bucs might be on the lookout for a future starting right tackle in this draft. If so, Hawkins could easily fit the bill. Though he needs to add strength and develop his hand technique, Hawkins has the athleticism and experience necessary to replace Kevin Pamphile as the Bucs’ swing tackle. That would allow Pamphile to possibly move to left guard, where he might eventually replace Logan Mankins as the starter.

Round 5 (148th overall)

Josh Ferguson, RB, Illinois

Ferguson is a lot like Charles Sims in that he’s a speedy back who might be a better pass catcher than runner. And that’s what makes him so attractive. The Bucs need to insure themselves against losing either Sims or likely feature back Doug Martin to injury — assuming Martin re-signs with Tampa Bay. If Ferguson can improve his ability to break tackles and attack the hole, he could develop into an every-down back, or at least a No. 2 like Sims.

Round 6 (186th overall)

Victor Ochi, OLB, Stony Brook

The Bucs struck gold when they drafted Division III guard Ali Marpet in the second round last year. They might try to make a similar strike this year by being the first team to draft a Stony Brook product. Ochi was a standout at the East-West Shrine practices in St. Petersburg last month, proving he can play the role of a 4-3 end as well as a 3-4 outside linebacker. With the Bucs changing to a multiple-front scheme on defense, Ochi’s versatility could prove valuable.

Round 6 (200th overall)

Henry Krieger Coble, TE, Iowa

The Bucs have two capable pass-catching tight ends in Austin Seferian-Jenkins and Cameron Brate. What they need is a blocking type who can eventually replace either Luke Stocker or Brandon Myers. Coble has the ability to step in early on as an in-line blocking option, and has the skill necessary to perhaps develop into a pass-catching option as well.

Round 7 (230th overall)

Deon Bush, FS, Miami

A disappointing senior season in which he battled both injuries and inconsistency has devalued Bush’s draft stock. But at 6-foot-1 and 208 pounds, Bush has good size and speed and he’s a willing special teams player who could immediately help the Bucs in that regard while learning the nuances of the safety position.

Edited by Crimsonmistymemory

Well it appears the Buc's are going to let Doug Martin enter the free agent market. The Buc's declined to use the franchise lable to protect Martin. Martin was the #2 Rusher in the NFL last year and would have been an 11 million dollar hit ot the cap in the 2016/17 season. I guess the Bucs are counting on Martin recieving offers not in that range to negotiate a lower contract amount or just be able to have the opportunity to restructure terms. If Martin wants to remain in Tampa he will be willing to renegotiate another deal. I feel it would be a mistake to let him go as his presence would reinforce the stability of the team and help build on last yers offensive success. True he had to lackluster seasons after a fenominal rookie year due to injury. However last season he proved he can be an elite running back in the NFL. Hopefully it will be with the Buc's. Good move bad move we will have to wait and see. This is after all the Buc's we are talking about ;)

Go Buc's :madra:

^ I agree my hope is both sides will be willing to restructure and spread money across a long term deal so Martin can remain with the Bucs. More hopefully that he has a season at least Equal to last or better ;)

Go Bucs :madra:

We made another nice move today. Picking up veteranCB Brent Grimes. Brent may be older but is a 4time Pro bowler. Hopefully he can make an immediate impact and mentor some of hopefully some of the young draft picks.

We made another nice move today. Picking up veteranCB Brent Grimes. Brent may be older but is a 4time Pro bowler. Hopefully he can make an immediate impact and mentor some of hopefully some of the young draft picks.

He's done. I know, I've watched every game the last two years. Not to mention his wife is truly insane.

• Like 1

He's done. I know, I've watched every game the last two years. Not to mention his wife is truly insane.

Hopefully they didn't sign her.

• Like 1

Hopefully they didn't sign her.

You get both.

• Like 1

Yeah I heard she is a social media Whore. As far as the Bucs go we have a history of sending unproductive players away and they become stellar producers. Or we bring someone in who was stellar elsewhere and they they become pitiful. I have seen it to many times in the 25 years of rooting for the Bucs. Hopefully Brent will find a renewed will and be a compliment as opposed to detriment.

Yeah I heard she is a social media Whore. As far as the Bucs go we have a history of sending unproductive players away and they become stellar producers. Or we bring someone in who was stellar elsewhere and they they become pitiful. I have seen it to many times in the 25 years of rooting for the Bucs. Hopefully Brent will find a renewed will and be a compliment as opposed to detriment.

Two years ago he was great. Last year there wasn't a#1 receiver he could cover. He might be OK at nickel these days. If he accepts he's not what he once was he might not be a disaster. 32 year old corners don't have great track records.

• Like 1