Saints keep Josh Hill by matching Bears offer sheet

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwi3ndzjzjyzytexnzm1mwvlnzcyyjfhnmm3yjnimzi1-e1435749688431.jpeg?w=246

Even after making a splash in free agency by signing Coby Fleener, the Saints are apparently insistent on being deep at tight end.

The team announced they matched the Bears offer sheet to restricted free agent tight end Josh Hill, keeping him in place. The three-year deal will keep him in place through the 2018 season.

The Saints would have gotten no compensation if they hadn’t matched the Bears’ offer, since Hill was undrafted and was tendered at the lowest level.

He caught 16 passes for 120 yards and two touchdowns as a complement to veteran Benjamin Watson (who left in free agency for Baltimore).

But after signing Fleener to a five-year, $36 million contract and bringing back Michael Hoomanawanui, the Saints now have a full depth chart at the position.

Sean Payton agrees to 5-year extension with Saints

http://i1.wp.com/thacover2.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/sean-payton.jpg

BOCA RATON, Fla. -- Sean Payton and the New Orleans Saints have agreed to a five-year extension through the 2020 season, the coach said Wednesday.

The extension is worth in excess of $45 million, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Ed Werder. Payton, who has coached the Saints for 10 years, was already one of the NFL's highest-paid coaches at $8.5 million in his previous deal, which ran through 2017.

Payton revealed the news -- actually pointing to his briefcase, which contained the unsigned contract -- during his news conference at the NFL owners meetings.

Sean Payton has an 87-57 record in his nine seasons as coach of the Saints. Geoff Burke-USA TODAY Sports

In addition, the Saints are continuing negotiations with quarterback Drew Brees on a proposed four-year contract extension, sources told Werder, which would also keep him with the team through the 2020 season.

There was ample speculation throughout last season that Payton might consider leaving New Orleans for another team if the Saints agreed to work out a compensation package -- which made for a tense couple of days after the season.

But nothing materialized, and Payton emphasized his long-term commitment to the Saints by the middle of that week during a unique hourlong news conference attended by owners Tom and Gayle Benson, among others.

Payton said Wednesday that the contract extension became a "formality" after that point, but there was no rush to get it done. He said he worked out the details with general manager Mickey Loomis and president Dennis Lauscha, among others.

"There's so much of you in there, that I don't see myself working anywhere else," Payton said of his decade in New Orleans. "There's been really good stability and consistency at ownership. We just had dinner with Mr. B. last night, Mickey, and I think that doesn't guarantee anything, but it gives you a chance. It's been very functional.

"That stability, obviously, I don't take for granted."

Among active coaches, only Bill Belichick of the Patriots (16 seasons), Marvin Lewis of the Bengals (13) and Mike McCarthy of the Packers (10) have been with their teams longer than Payton, who has been in New Orleans for nine seasons, not including his 2012 suspension.

Payton began his first and only NFL head-coaching job with the Saints in 2006, the season after the team had been displaced by Hurricane Katrina. Since then, he has gone 87-57 in the regular season with five playoff appearances and one Super Bowl title in the 2009 season. His playoff record is 6-4.

His overall record excludes the 2012 season, when he was suspended in connection with the NFL's bounty investigation.

Negotiations with Brees, who has one year remaining on his own contract, has picked up recently as the Saints have incentive to lower his NFL-high salary-cap figure of $30 million for 2016.

"I know Mickey and [brees' agent, Tom Condon] have had quite a bit of discussion in the last week and a half," Payton said. "I would say ongoing now. It always takes a little longer than you want it to, and they're never the same. This was a different type of negotiation than the last one [in 2012, when Brees was under the franchise tag]. But I know there's been quite a bit of dialogue."

Hey Duckie, you got the brews lined up?? This is great news!!!

Aye! And even better news is it's linked up to a 4 year extension for Brees which is coming soon. :clap: So we're set for the next 5 years! :cheers:

Hey where've you been lately? :o :smoke:

Hey Duckie! Yes, as you noticed, I've been off the radar as I've working my butt off lately at the office! I'm totally out of date in this board...pray tell Brees is ready to go being extended?

BOCA RATON, Fla. -- Sean Payton and the New Orleans Saints have agreed to a five-year extension through the 2020 season, the coach said Wednesday.

The extension is worth in excess of $45 million, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Ed Werder. Payton, who has coached the Saints for 10 years, was already one of the NFL's highest-paid coaches at $8.5 million in his previous deal, which ran through 2017.

Payton revealed the news -- actually pointing to his briefcase, which contained the unsigned contract -- during his news conference at the NFL owners meetings.

Sean Payton has an 87-57 record in his nine seasons as coach of the Saints. Geoff Burke-USA TODAY Sports

In addition, the Saints are continuing negotiations with quarterback Drew Brees on a proposed four-year contract extension, sources told Werder, which would also keep him with the team through the 2020 season.

There was ample speculation throughout last season that Payton might consider leaving New Orleans for another team if the Saints agreed to work out a compensation package -- which made for a tense couple of days after the season.

But nothing materialized, and Payton emphasized his long-term commitment to the Saints by the middle of that week during a unique hourlong news conference attended by owners Tom and Gayle Benson, among others.

Payton said Wednesday that the contract extension became a "formality" after that point, but there was no rush to get it done. He said he worked out the details with general manager Mickey Loomis and president Dennis Lauscha, among others.

"There's so much of you in there, that I don't see myself working anywhere else," Payton said of his decade in New Orleans. "There's been really good stability and consistency at ownership. We just had dinner with Mr. B. last night, Mickey, and I think that doesn't guarantee anything, but it gives you a chance. It's been very functional.

Among active coaches, only Bill Belichick of the Patriots (16 seasons), Marvin Lewis of the Bengals (13) and Mike McCarthy of the Packers (10) have been with their teams longer than Payton, who has been in New Orleans for nine seasons, not including his 2012 suspension.

Payton began his first and only NFL head-coaching job with the Saints in 2006, the season after the team had been displaced by Hurricane Katrina. Since then, he has gone 87-57 in the regular season with five playoff appearances and one Super Bowl title in the 2009 season. His playoff record is 6-4.

His overall record excludes the 2012 season, when he was suspended in connection with the NFL's bounty investigation.

Negotiations with Brees, who has one year remaining on his own contract, has picked up recently as the Saints have incentive to lower his NFL-high salary-cap figure of $30 million for 2016.

"I know Mickey and [brees' agent, Tom Condon] have had quite a bit of discussion in the last week and a half," Payton said. "I would say ongoing now. It always takes a little longer than you want it to, and they're never the same. This was a different type of negotiation than the last one [in 2012, when Brees was under the franchise tag]. But I know there's been quite a bit of dialogue."

Aye! And even better news is it's linked up to a 4 year extension for Brees which is coming soon. :clap: So we're set for the next 5 years! :cheers:

Hey Duckie! Yes, as you noticed, I've been off the radar as I've working my butt off lately at the office! I'm totally out of date in this board...pray tell Brees is ready to go being extended?

That's the buzz, they're working on a 4 year extension tied to Payton's deal so both stay together.

How's the office??

• Like 1

That's the buzz, they're working on a 4 year extension tied to Payton's deal so both stay together.

How's the office??

Starting to calm down a bit, Thank God! I'm an Accountant for a insurance company so our Annual Statement is 95% done....just

some remaining schedules to do now...Whew!

• Like 1

How's the office??

Starting to calm down a bit, Thank God! I'm an Accountant for a insurance company so our Annual Statement is 95% done....just

Then what happens, you spend the rest of the year playing Angry Birds and surfing the web for good shopping deals?? :hail:

Edited by treeduck
  • Like 1

How's the office??

Then what happens, you spend the rest of the year playing Angry Birds and surfing the web for good shopping deals?? :hail:

Nope Duckie, Don't let my job fool you, I've never played Angry Birds and never will! Seems really stupid!! And I hate online shopping too!!! I go to the mall and get my stuff instantly with no waiting!...Yes, I'm a rocker!! Seeing Black Sabbath in September! Waiting for Judas Priest to do more touring too! So it's no wonder I'm going bananas while "waiting" for a certain Rush band member to wake up and realize that there's more shows that could be done...

• Like 1

How's the office??

Nope Duckie, Don't let my job fool you, I've never played Angry Birds and never will! Seems really stupid!! And I hate online shopping too!!! I go to the mall and get my stuff instantly with no waiting!...Yes, I'm a rocker!! Seeing Black Sabbath in September! Waiting for Judas Priest to do more touring too! So it's no wonder I'm going bananas while "waiting" for a certain Rush band member to wake up and realize that there's more shows that could be done...

Well Priest are recording a new album this year starting next month so they probably won't be doing any touring in 2016 and probably not till the Autumn of 2017. Sabbath are touring till September I think and then retiring as a band.

I've never played Angry Birds either, I had to look it up to make sure I got the right name! :16ton: I do like online shopping though because I hate normal shopping! :smoke:

• Like 1

Saints finalize deal with defensive tackle Nick Fairley

Posted by Darin Gantt on March 28, 2016, 9:40 AM EDT

zz0xndc3zmmyzmvkm2u1mmuzzwu0ytfknte4ndkxowu3zg-e1458565133814.jpeg?w=242

Nick Fairley was expected to sign with the Saints after his visit, and now he has.

According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, the veteran defensive tackle has agreed to his one-year deal with the Saints.

Fairley found a fairly soft market, though the Patriots showed some interest.

He’s shown flashes as an interior rusher, with 11.5 sacks in 2012 and 2013 with the Lions. But the former first-rounder had just 0.5 last year with the Rams.

For the Saints, any help pressuring the quarterback will be welcome, so they’re willing to give Fairley a look.

Tim Lelito expected back with Saints after passing on Cowboys offer

Posted by Josh Alper on April 4, 2016, 11:34 AM EDT

495618562-e1459784040709.jpg?w=229

The Cowboys signed defensive end Benson Mayowa this offseason and it seems he wasn’t the only restricted free agent to catch their eye in the last few weeks.

Guard Tim Lelito got an original-round tender from the Saints before free agency opened, leaving him available to sign an offer sheet with other teams without any draft pick compensation going back to New Orleans if they opted not to match. Lelito said the Cowboys extended him an offer, but that he passed on it because he didn’t want to resign himself to life as a reserve in Dallas.

“You have to weigh your options and it’s a gamble,” Lelito said, via WWL. “So you can go somewhere else and be a backup for a couple years with less money or you can try to go into a one-year tender and do the best you can and hopefully come out with a little better contract after it.”

Lelito hasn’t signed his $1.67 million tender yet, but expects to return to the Saints barring a late (and unlikely) offer that trumps it in terms of money and opportunity. Lelito started 13 games for the Saints last year and his chances of remaining with the first team don’t look bad with Jahri Evans out of the picture and no new arrivals at guard in free agency.

Report: Former Saints defensive end Will Smith shot and killed

Posted by Mike Florio on April 10, 2016, 2:01 AM EDT

350x-335.jpg?w=250

Staff photographer Michael DeMocker of the New Orleans Times-Picayune reports via Twitter that former Saints defensive end Will Smith was shot and killed in New Orleans late Saturday night.

DeMocker attributes to unidentified witnesses the news that Smith has died and his wife was wounded. One photo posted by DeMocker shows former Saints running back Pierre Thomas at the scene, “distraught” at the news that Smith was murdered.

The most recent item on the Times-Picayune website reports that a man was killed and a woman was injured in a shooting, but the article does not as of this posting identify the victims.

Twitter currently is buzzing with the news. Cardinals defensive back Tyrann Mathieu, a New Orleans native who played college football at LSU, has acknowledged the news. Also, “RIP Will Smith” is trending.

Smith posted on Instagram earlier Saturday a photo from the French Quarter Fest in New Orleans.

A first-round pick in 2004, Smith played nine years for the Saints. He had a career-high 13 sacks in 2009, a season that culminated in the franchise’s only NFL championship.

If the report from the Times-Picayune is accurate, we extend our condolences to Smith, his family, friends, teammates, and colleagues.

UPDATE 2:05 a.m. ET: The online article posted by the New Orleans Times-Picayune now confirms that Will Smith was killed in the shooting, according to New Orleans police.

Police say Will Smith’s death appears to be a case of road rage

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 10, 2016, 6:24 AM EDT

350x33-e1346949919764.jpg?w=206

Former Saints defensive end Will Smith was shot and killed on Saturday night in what police say appears to be a road rage incident.

“It appears that it could possibly have been road rage,” New Orleans Police Officer Juan D. Barnes Sr. said.

Smith was driving and his wife was in the passenger seat when their car was hit by a Hummer, causing Smith’s car to hit a third vehicle.

“The male victim and the driver of the Hummer exchanged words at which time the driver of the Hummer produced a handgun and shot the male victim multiple times and his 34-year-old wife twice in the right leg,” police said in a statement.

The 30-year-old Hummer driver is in police custody.

Smith’s wife was taken to a nearby hospital for treatment for her leg injuries. They have two sons and a daughter.

Alleged shooter booked for second-degree murder of Will Smith

Posted by Josh Alper on April 10, 2016, 10:43 AM EDT

150562610-e1460299390562.jpg?w=247

The man accused of shooting and killing former Saints defensive end Will Smith on Saturday night in New Orleans has been booked on murder charges on Sunday.

New Orleans police announced that Cardell Hayes has been booked for second-degree murder after allegedly shooting both Smith and his wife after a traffic accident. There was reportedly an exchange of words after a Hummer driven by Hayes hit Smith’s car from behind and the argument eventually devolved into the fatal volley of shots.

“We are devastated and saddened by Will’s tragic and preventable death due to a senseless act that will leave a lasting scar on our community forever,” Saints owner Tom Benson said in a statement. “Will was more than an exceptional football player he was a father, a husband, a son, a brother and teammate to so many and an inspiration to countless more. He will be greatly missed by all those he touched and impacted both on and off the football field and his legacy will continue to shine. The Saints family is hurting and devastated as it has lost a member too young and too soon.”

Racquel Smith was hit in the leg twice and was taken to the hospital. The couple were parents to two sons and a daughter.

• Like 1

The man accused of shooting and killing former Saints defensive end Will Smith on Saturday night in New Orleans has been booked on murder charges on Sunday.

New Orleans police announced that Cardell Hayes has been booked for second-degree murder after allegedly shooting both Smith and his wife after a traffic accident. There was reportedly an exchange of words after a Hummer driven by Hayes hit Smith’s car from behind and the argument eventually devolved into the fatal volley of shots.

“We are devastated and saddened by Will’s tragic and preventable death due to a senseless act that will leave a lasting scar on our community forever,” Saints owner Tom Benson said in a statement. “Will was more than an exceptional football player he was a father, a husband, a son, a brother and teammate to so many and an inspiration to countless more. He will be greatly missed by all those he touched and impacted both on and off the football field and his legacy will continue to shine. The Saints family is hurting and devastated as it has lost a member too young and too soon.”

Racquel Smith was hit in the leg twice and was taken to the hospital. The couple were parents to two sons and a daughter.

This sucks. Throw the book at this POS.

• Like 3

NFL family remembers Will Smith

Posted by Mike Florio on April 10, 2016, 12:45 PM EDT

570a1c8ce3c36_willsmith-e1460306695447.jpg?w=230

Late Saturday, former NFL defensive end Will Smith was shot and killed in an apparent incident of road rage. As members of the sports world react to the news, the person who perhaps knew him the best has issued a heartfelt statement in response to the news.

“I am shocked and deeply saddened by the tragic loss of Will Smith, my close friend and client,” Segal said. “Will was loyal, tough, smart, caring and funny all at once. He was an amazing man whose true joy came from his special family. From my first meeting with Will at Ohio State to our business meetings, fun dinners and spirited and intelligent debates, he always treated me like family. My heart goes out to Will’s wife, Racquel, his children and entire family for this unimaginable loss. I love you, William. You will be missed and never ever forgotten.”

Segal represented Smith throughout his NFL career, nearly all of which was spent in New Orleans. He suffered a torn ACL during the 2013 preseason, was released early in 2014, and spent a brief period of time with the Patriots later that year.

The Saints and the Commissioner also have issued statements regarding Smith’s death.

“This is such a tragic loss of life,” Commissioner Roger Goodell said. “Our thoughts are with Will’s wife Racquel and their three children. He will be missed by many teammates and friends.”

“Our entire organization is deeply saddened and our condolences go out to Will’s wife, Racquel, their children and their entire family,’ Saints G.M. Mickey Loomis said. “Will came to New Orleans 12 years ago and quickly developed both on the field as a player and off the field as a leader to become one of the cornerstones of a team that would go on to win a Super Bowl. In our community he was an important contributor to numerous charitable causes to benefit those in need. Will’s contributions to both our franchise and our community as a whole will always be remembered.”

Coach Sean Payton called the death of Will Smith “senseless,” and indeed it was. Many other teammates, other NFL players, and people connected to the Saints, the NFL, and Ohio State have issued similar statements on social media and elsewhere.

Our prayers and thoughts are with Will Smith’s wife, children, family, teammates, coaches, colleagues, and friends.

Report: Saints exercise Kenny Vaccaro’s fifth-year option

Posted by Josh Alper on April 12, 2016, 1:02 PM EDT

500242106-e1460480554816.jpg?w=224

Teams with players picked in the first round of the 2013 draft have to decide whether to exercise fifth-year options on those players’ contracts before the May 3 deadline to do so.

The Saints have reportedly opted not to go down to the wire with a call on safety Kenny Vaccaro’s contract. Albert Breer of NFL Media reports that the team has exercised the option, making them the first team to do so with a member of this year’s draft class.

As the 15th pick of the 2013 draft, Vaccaro’s salary for the 2017 season would be the average of the 3rd-25th best-paid safeties in the league. That should be somewhere in the mid-$5 million range for Vaccaro, although the official number isn’t known yet. The option is guaranteed against injury only, so the Saints can opt to move on from Vaccaro before it goes into effect if they change their minds and he’s healthy.

Vaccaro has been a starter for 44 of the 48 regular season games that the Saints have played since drafting him and has 257 tackles, five sacks, three interceptions and two forced fumbles over that span.

Report: Brees offered to help Saints make cap space for Norman

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 23, 2016, 8:29 AM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwjmnti3zgrkndi5mwmyowmymtbhzduxngi2mjc1ogvl-e1447336887350.jpeg?w=230

Before cornerback Josh Norman signed with Washington on Friday night, a surprising report emerged that he was drawing strong interest from New Orleans. That raised an obvious question: How on earth could the Saints, with $3.5 million in cap space, afford a premier free agent like Norman?

The answer is that Drew Brees was willing to create the space by agreeing to a new deal with the Saints. According to ESPN, Brees wanted Norman on the Saints and offered to re-do his contract to get the deal done.

Brees, who has the NFL’s highest cap hit this season at $30 million, is widely expected to work out a new contract with the Saints some time this year. But Brees apparently thinks highly enough of Norman that he was willing to expedite the process of getting a deal done if it would allow the Saints to get a deal done with Norman. Brees played against Norman several times when Norman played for the Panthers, and Brees apparently thinks Norman is the kind of player who could help the Saints get back to the Super Bowl.

It didn’t happen, as Washington made Norman a huge offer and Norman quickly accepted. But it speaks well for Norman that an opposing quarterback would have such a high opinion of him. And it speaks well for Brees’ future in New Orleans that he and the Saints are close enough on a new deal that one could have been done as soon as this weekend.

• Like 1

Report: Brees offered to help Saints make cap space for Norman

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 23, 2016, 8:29 AM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwjmnti3zgrkndi5mwmyowmymtbhzduxngi2mjc1ogvl-e1447336887350.jpeg?w=230

Before cornerback Josh Norman signed with Washington on Friday night, a surprising report emerged that he was drawing strong interest from New Orleans. That raised an obvious question: How on earth could the Saints, with $3.5 million in cap space, afford a premier free agent like Norman?

The answer is that Drew Brees was willing to create the space by agreeing to a new deal with the Saints. According to ESPN, Brees wanted Norman on the Saints and offered to re-do his contract to get the deal done.

Brees, who has the NFL’s highest cap hit this season at $30 million, is widely expected to work out a new contract with the Saints some time this year. But Brees apparently thinks highly enough of Norman that he was willing to expedite the process of getting a deal done if it would allow the Saints to get a deal done with Norman. Brees played against Norman several times when Norman played for the Panthers, and Brees apparently thinks Norman is the kind of player who could help the Saints get back to the Super Bowl.

It didn’t happen, as Washington made Norman a huge offer and Norman quickly accepted. But it speaks well for Norman that an opposing quarterback would have such a high opinion of him. And it speaks well for Brees’ future in New Orleans that he and the Saints are close enough on a new deal that one could have been done as soon as this weekend.

That's why Bree's is pure class!! Unlike these scumbags from NE, lol!!

• Like 1

This sucks. Throw the book at this POS.

I'll be happy to drag his ass behind my car going 90!! Watch out for da bloody pulp heading down the road!!

• Like 1

THE SAINTS 2016 draft class:

1 12 Sheldon Rankins DT Louisville

2 47 Michael Thomas WR OSU

2 61 Vonn Bell S OSU

4 120 David Onyemata DE Manitoba

7 237 Daniel Lasco RB California

And here's the UDFAs:

FB Sione Houma Michigan

WR Jordan Williams Ball State

WR Jared Dangerfield Western KY

WR Tommylee Lewis Northern Illinois

OT Joseph Cheek Texas A&M

G/OT Avery Young Auburn

G/OT Ryker Matthews Brigham Young

G Landon Turner UNC

C Jack Allen Michigan State

C Marcus Henry Boise State

DE D.J. Pettway Alabama

DE Mitchell Loewen Arkansas

LB Dominique Tovell ULL

MLB Jeff Schoettmer UNC

LB Dillon Lee Alabama

S Trae Elston Ole Miss

S Mike Caputo Wisconsin

CB John Walker Colorado

CB Ken Crawley Colorado

CB De'Vante Harris Texas A&M

K Anthony Pistelli, Samford

And how were they rated?

CBS 25 Best Undrafted Prospects

11. G/OT Avery Young Auburn

14. C Jack Allen Michigan State

18. G Landon Turner UNC

21. S Trae Elston Ole Miss

Pro Football Focus 50 Best Undrafted Prospects

3. CB De'Vante Harris Texas A&M

11. C Jack Allen Michigan State

16. G Landon Turner UNC

25. G Ryker Matthews Brigham Young

45. DE D.J. Pettway Alabama

AP All-America First Team

C Jack Allen Michigan State

G Landon Turner UNC

AP All-America Second Team

S Trae Elston Ole Miss

Report: Terron Armstead signing five-year extension with Saints

Posted by Josh Alper on May 3, 2016, 3:26 PM EDT

http://prod.images.saints.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/SAINTS/assets/images/imported/NO/photos/clubimages/2014/01-January/temp_MH15999--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=620&height=465

The Saints and quarterback Drew Brees haven’t come to an agreement on a much-discussed contract extension this offseason, but it appears the team has had more luck with one of the players charged with keeping Brees upright.

Josina Anderson of ESPN reports that left tackle Terron Armstead is signing a five-year extension with the Saints on Tuesday. The deal would tie Armstead to the Saints through the 2021 season.

Armstead was a third-round pick in 2013 and has started 27 games over the last two seasons after taking over the job at left tackle late in his rookie season. He’s proven to be an asset to both the running and passing games and won’t turn 25 until July, which gives him a good chance to remain productive through the life of this new contract as long as he can avoid serious injuries.

With Armstead locked up, Brees and center Max Unger would be the biggest potential free agents for the Saints after the 2016 season.

Edited by treeduck

Saints starting “totally anew” on defense this year

Posted by Josh Alper on May 15, 2016, 11:24 AM EDT

488201800-e1463325870339.jpg?w=221

Dennis Allen took over as the Saints’ defensive coordinator during the 2015 season, but there wasn’t much he could do to fix a bad unit on the fly.

The Saints have tried to repair things this offseason by signing sign several free agents and drafting two players in the first two rounds to add to a group that could see a couple of 2015 rookies — Stephone Anthony and Hau’oli Kikaha — change positions. All of those changes and the absence of much of anything to build on from last year leaves Allen and company starting “totally anew” in 2016.

“First of all, there are no positions set here,” Allen said, via the New Orleans Times-Picayune. “We’re going to give an opportunity in OTAs, minicamp and training camp and then the deck kind of sorts itself out a little bit. The best 11 guys are going to play and everybody is going to have an opportunity to go out and prove what they do. Like we told the players, it’s your job to define your role within this football team and what you can do to help us. We’ll evaluate it, but you’re going to tell us where need to be based on the way you practice and based on the way you play.”

Safety Kenny Vaccaro and defensive end Cameron Jordan seem like pretty safe bets to be in the starting lineup and first-round pick Sheldon Rankins is going to play a lot on the defensive line, but there should be plenty of competition for playing time in New Orleans over the coming months.

The bar’s been set low enough that any mix has a good chance to improve on last year’s performance. How big an improvement will go a long way toward determining if the Saints can work themselves back into contention for a playoff berth this year.

Sean Payton not interested in easing rookies into minicamps

Posted by Darin Gantt on May 15, 2016, 9:58 AM EDT

503284824.jpg?w=250

While some teams around the league are easing their rookies into minicamp by turning it into an orientation rather than a set of practices, Saints coach Sean Payton won’t be joining that trend.

Via Mike Triplett of ESPN.com, Payton said such a plan was never of much interest to him.

“I’d be lying to you if I said we considered it,” Payton said. “It’s a sport where part of the learning process for us is coming out here on the field and practicing.

“At some point you gotta get out here on the field and start working at your craft.”

Coaches covet practice time, particularly after the last CBA shortened the amount of offseason work considerably. And given those limits, Payton didn’t want to waste one of their few opportunities at on-field work for any of their players.

But he did acknowledge that not all of them walk in the door in the kind of shape they need to be, though he singled first-round pick Sheldon Rankins out for his commitment.

“The challenge when we bring this many guys in is the assumption that they’re all in maybe the same shape as Sheldon or one of these other players. The fact of the matter is they’re not,” Payton said.

With players gearing up for the combine, and training specifically for tests which could determine their draft stock, they’re not all ready for the very different physical demand of actually playing football.

Other coaches have used that varying level of preparation as a justification to not practice, but Payton clearly doesn’t agree.

That sucks,

He was such a great player in college.

• Like 1